Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Final Fantasy XII (12)!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Setzer
Funny, I thought that was the make-up of pretty much every JRPG ever made.
I'd wager you haven't played many then (pre-Playstation, at least). I'll give you that linearity has been rather constant through the genre but modern FF games have set new precedents in straight-line gameplay.. I don't even know why there's a strategy book for the first half of Final Fantasy VII.. the game is practically autonomous until you leave Midgar.
Old 10-31-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
I basically just meant the real-time aspect of the fighting instead of a row of enemies on one side, your team on the other side while having a turn-based fight.

While I was playing, I was more compelled to play the game rather than advance the story. I really just enjoyed playing it and that feeling still hasn't ended even though I've finished it once and started over with the US copy. I really can't imagine any RPG fan not liking it. (and for reference I HATED FF:VIII and wasn't a big fan of X either but did finish it. DQ:VIII is one of my all-time favorite RPG's)

The story is good but not as grand scale as other final fantasy game. What I mean by that is..
Spoiler:
You won't be falling in love and flying to the moon to stop some super-human boss from destroying the world. It's about a war between countries and how different people/nations were effected.

*The spoiler above is not specific but a quick description of the story. It will not ruin the game for anyone.

This one is much more open also. Since it somewhat uses the MMORPG style you're free to go where you want from the beginning. Just don't expect to live through any fight you get into.

Last edited by Noonan; 10-31-06 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-31-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Very cool noonan, that's exactly what I was looking for (er, at least.. what I was looking for that get me to play it). I might give it a shot, though it might be a while.. I'm currently suffering through Tales of the Abyss, which has WAY too many cut-scenes for an action RPG.. we're talking frequent 30-60 minute downtimes.. but it's still a Tales game under that, so I press on. Then right as I'm done with that I'm getting Wii with Zelda and the Tales of Destiny remake.. plus Okami's on my "to check" list.. I seem to have a lot of lengthy games to plow through (and I haven't mentioned the onslaught of portable RPGs I've got or am getting soon).
Old 10-31-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Haha, I know what you mean about the portable RPG's. Three from square this month alone and I know I'll want to play the FF:V remake too even though I've finished the game twice already.

Okami was really cool but couldn't hold my attention for more than about 5 hours before I started playing another game. I think Valkyrie Profile 2 is next on my list.

FF:XII does not have the cut-scene problem you're mentioning. Of course they are there but they're well placed and very well acted.
Old 10-31-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's been a long time since I've done FF V and FF VI so they're high priority to me, I love them.

Yeah, I don't mind the cut-scenes so much, too many gets annoying as I'm experiencing in Tales of the Abyss from time to time and most recent games have me rolling my eyes more than holding my interest.. but if it's actually still fun to "fight monsters, level up and collect treasure," I'm usually satiated.
Old 10-31-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I'd wager you haven't played many then (pre-Playstation, at least). I'll give you that linearity has been rather constant through the genre but modern FF games have set new precedents in straight-line gameplay.. I don't even know why there's a strategy book for the first half of Final Fantasy VII.. the game is practically autonomous until you leave Midgar.
Yes, linearity seems to be constant in most all JRPGs to come out on the PS1 and PS2 and I will agree with you about every FF since VII being linear, except for maybe IX and X-2(if you can stomach playing it). Personally, I don't mind it because I no longer have the time like I did back in my high school SNES playing days where hundreds of hours grinding/adventuring weren't a problem.

As far as the whole "pre-teen angst plots and characters", I was more referring to the character design of JRPG's, at least the ones I've played, stories usually revolve around some young teenage hero/heroine. I probably haven't played as many as you have but I've played my share.
Old 10-31-06, 02:49 PM

noonan4224, is it true about there being some "ultimate" weapon in the game but the only way to obtain it is by not opening up certain treasure chests? I read this on another forum but thought I would ask you to confirm it. Thanks!
Old 10-31-06, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So if I didn't like Final Fantasy VII, VIII or X.. should I be expecting something different with this one? The demo from Dragon Quest VIII seemed pretty nifty but I don't think I could stomach the kind of convoluted preteen-angst plots and characters from the past games (or the dumbed down, linear gameplay).
No, aside from the bounty hunting (there are wanted monsters you can hunt
advertised on the bulletin boards in the bars and taverns) the game is every
bit as linear as X was. The difference here is the combat system, but where
you didn't like the linear aspect of the previous games this might turn you off
further as it takes even more of the gameplay away from the gamer. Due to
the gambit system I'd say 80% of the game is nothing more than you pushing
a character icon through dungeons in order to reach the next cut-scene or
cinema (you don't need to do much, if anything when an enemy challenges
your party). The plot is civil unrest ala the middle ages with a lot of twists
and turns and way too many instances seemingly taken straight out of the
Star Wars films (I won't mention which as they'd be spoilers). There is a
heaping helping of teen angst, but since it's delegated to pretty much one
character of many, it shouldn't bother you as much as it may have in the
past. Also, as you probably already know, it's absolutely beautiful as far as
graphics go if that means anything to you.
Old 10-31-06, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Money is suppose to be hard to come by so you have to actually watch what you spend it on - sweet!
Sell the items you get/steal from the enemies and you'll have more than
enough cash.
Old 10-31-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, linearity seems to be constant in most all JRPGs to come out on the PS1 and PS2 and I will agree with you about every FF since VII being linear, except for maybe IX and X-2(if you can stomach playing it). Personally, I don't mind it because I no longer have the time like I did back in my high school SNES playing days where hundreds of hours grinding/adventuring weren't a problem.
That's an interesting analogy considering the SNES era RPGs probably averaged 20-30 hours max even with all that dreaded adventuring and monster fighting. Most RPGs these days seem to average 40-60 easily and that's not counting that most of them seem to have a meaty amount of extra content on top of the main game.

As far as the whole "pre-teen angst plots and characters", I was more referring to the character design of JRPG's, at least the ones I've played, stories usually revolve around some young teenage hero/heroine. I probably haven't played as many as you have but I've played my share.
Yeah, I think EVERY Japanese RPG has a teenage cast.. and in the case of the Tales series, they go as far as referring to any character in their 30s as ancient (ugh). I was actually referring the to whiny brat, dark-past, double/triple crossing, gratuitous plot twisting staples of today. That's probably the most subjective aspect of my argument though.. so I'll just say that I'd much rather deal with clichés than laugh at the attempted convolution new RPGs tend to reach for to stay fresh.
Old 10-31-06, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
The difference here is the combat system, but where
you didn't like the linear aspect of the previous games this might turn you off
further as it takes even more of the gameplay away from the gamer. Due to
the gambit system I'd say 80% of the game is nothing more than you pushing
a character icon through dungeons in order to reach the next cut-scene or
cinema (you don't need to do much, if anything when an enemy challenges
your party).
Ugh.

Hmm.. that seems to conflict what noonan was hinting at. I'm confused now, but more willing to take your stance on it (it certainly seems more in line with the direction the series has gone with). I guess I'll just have to see for myself then.. I'm sure someone I know will be picking it up, so by the time I'm ready maybe I can borrow it for a day or two to give myself a feel for it.
Old 10-31-06, 03:11 PM

That's an interesting analogy considering the SNES era RPGs probably averaged 20-30 hours max even with all that dreaded adventuring and monster fighting. Most RPGs these days seem to average 40-60 easily and that's not counting that most of them seem to have a meaty amount of extra content in top of the main game.
If you spent hours leveling your characters to 99, getting all the endings to Chrono Trigger, finding stuff like the "pink tail", or getting Rydia high enough to use Meteo then you're going to spend more than 20-30hrs playing those games.
Old 10-31-06, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by noonan4224
I basically just meant the real-time aspect of the fighting instead of a row of enemies on one side, your team on the other side while having a turn-based fight.
It's still turn based. The only difference is that you can run around while
waiting for your turn to come again. And running around doesn't mean that
much as if you're still somewhat close to the enemy when it strikes you'll
get hit (even if it doesn't actually hit you in terms of graphical hit-detection).
You can run far away in the hopes that the enemy will follow you (if it has
targetted your leader), that way your party can kill it before it gets close
enough to hit you.
Old 10-31-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

noonan4224, is it true about there being some "ultimate" weapon in the game but the only way to obtain it is by not opening up certain treasure chests? I read this on another forum but thought I would ask you to confirm it. Thanks!
The strongest spear can be found if certain chests are not opened throughout a few areas. I don't know the specifics though. I think there may be another way of getting it but am not sure. I find everything I can but am not a completist. I don't do every single side quest to get all the best weapons.

That actually is one gripe I have with the game. A lot of the good weapons and items are found purely by luck in chests. The chests do respawn after time when you leave an area but I don't like having things based off of luck. Put some crazy boss in front of it but at least guarantee me that I'll get it.
Old 10-31-06, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ugh.

Hmm.. that seems to conflict what noonan was hinting at. I'm confused now, but more willing to take your stance on it (it certainly seems more in line with the direction the series has gone with). I guess I'll just have to see for myself then.. I'm sure someone I know will be picking it up, so by the time I'm ready maybe I can borrow it for a day or two to give myself a feel for it.
That's a good idea.
Have you played Front Mission Alternative? The combat system is most like
that (won or lost depending on the choices you make on a menu screen).
Old 10-31-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you spent hours leveling your characters to 99, getting all the endings to Chrono Trigger, finding stuff like the "pink tail", or getting Rydia high enough to use Meteo then you're going to spend more than 20-30hrs playing those games.
I just ran a level 99 game of FF IV on the GBA and my clock was something under 30 hours (26 if I recall).. I think I managed to stretch FF III on the SNES to 40 once by hitting level 99 for everyone and getting every spell for everyone plus other insanities (the Veldt comes to mind).. I assure you, doing the same amount of maxing in today's RPGs is easily two, three or four times more time consuming.
Old 10-31-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In regards to what Brooklyn said...if you take the time to over level your characters and you use gambits (which are rules you set to how charaters act in battle Ex. If Ally's HP<50% cast Cure) you could make it so you just walk through each dungeon and let the computer control everyone in fights. I can see where he comes from when he says that. I wouldn't (and didn't) use this method through the meat of the game but when you leaving an area after completing it or searching every corner to find a secret, it's nice to not have to worry about random battles to take up time.
Old 10-31-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now that I've been thinking about it (and I don't know why this didn't come to me earlier) but the fighting is almost identical to the KOTOR games. The gambit system in FF can make things more automatic if you want but you can easily turn them off.
Old 10-31-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In regards to what Brooklyn said...if you take the time to over level your characters and you use gambits (which are rules you set to how charaters act in battle Ex. If Ally's HP<50% cast Cure) you could make it so you just walk through each dungeon and let the computer control everyone in fights. I can see where he comes from when he says that. I wouldn't (and didn't) use this method through the meat of the game but when you leaving an area after completing it, it's nice to not have to worry about random battles to take up time especially if you're trying to search every small corner of an area for a secret.

I wasn't over levelling, but not using gambits would kill the game moreso
than not. You'd constantly just be keying in attack for each of the 3 or 4
characters in your party. The enemy encounter rate is much higher than
when there were random battles. Also, the license board has more than
a few selections that knock the difficulty of the game down. Things like
HP up 500, 200, 100, Speed, Strength or Magic up (there are several of
these) make even bosses a cakewalk. And since the license boards are all
the same, once you uncover one for one character, you know where it
is for everyone. I'm not saying you're forced to purchase them, but they
are there.
Old 10-31-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Brooklyn, what browser are you using.. or what is causing your posts not to adhere to proper word-wrapping?
Old 10-31-06, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you don't use gambits the battles play out just like the turn based battles from the other FF games. Being surrounded by 4 wolves in XII would just be like getting into one random battle against 4 wolves in any previous FF. It seems a bit weird doing it this way since people are moving around but it works out to be the same.

Those licenses are there to develop your charaters. It's not like getting one that gives you +100 HP is a cheat. It's there for a reason. I do think they made the grid a bit too easy to fill up. My charaters are all around level 45 and their grids are all close to full. It would have been nice if there were more to it.
Old 10-31-06, 03:42 PM

I just ran a level 99 game of FF IV on the GBA and my clock was something under 30 hours (26 if I recall).. I think I managed to stretch FF III on the SNES to 40 once by hitting level 99 for everyone and getting every spell for everyone plus other insanities (the Veldt comes to mind)..
I'm happy for you.
Old 10-31-06, 03:45 PM

The strongest spear can be found if certain chests are not opened throughout a few areas. I don't know the specifics though. I think there may be another way of getting it but am not sure. I find everything I can but am not a completist. I don't do every single side quest to get all the best weapons.

That actually is one gripe I have with the game. A lot of the good weapons and items are found purely by luck in chests. The chests do respawn after time when you leave an area but I don't like having things based off of luck. Put some crazy boss in front of it but at least guarantee me that I'll get it.
Thanks!

I try to find/do everything possible the first time through because, for me, there isn't time for a second.
Old 10-31-06, 03:45 PM
Retired

I just ran a level 99 game of FF IV on the GBA and my clock was something under 30 hours (26 if I recall).. I think I managed to stretch FF III on the SNES to 40 once by hitting level 99 for everyone and getting every spell for everyone plus other insanities (the Veldt comes to mind).. I assure you, doing the same amount of maxing in today's RPGs is easily two, three or four times more time consuming.

It just depends on what you like to do. I enjoy spending 30-40 hours going through a main, linear quest than spending 30-40 hours with most of that being side quests and level grinding.

New RPGs are much longer to do everything in, but it's a moot point for those that only want to do the main quest, see the ending and move on to the next game.
Old 10-31-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks!

I try to find/do everything possible the first time through because, for me, there isn't time for a second.
FYI I just read on another board that the guide tells you the specifics on this. If you don't have the guide I'm sure there will be some homemade map on gamefaqs soon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.