Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Post your SOCOM II tips here

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-03, 01:25 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post your SOCOM II tips here

I just picked this up and never played SOCOM before. I am struggling a bit with all the buttons to remember. What configuration do you all use? Can you offer some tips to a guy who would like to get online at some point but doesn't want to be a target.

Thanks,

DAC
Old 11-10-03, 01:53 PM

best advice, play a bit offline and get used to the controller and then get your ass online...i never messed with the controller configuration, so i'm used to whatever the default is..u might want to experiment with the actual sensitivity of some of the controls, but thats all personal preference..the conrols are not difficult to remember once you get used to it..

getting online and playing is the best way to learn, u can talk to your teammates and ask questions for whatever you don;t understand, plus, you can never simulate what a real live person will do to kill you, whether it be a strategically placed mine, a grenade or just someone popping out of a corner you never knew existed and blowing you away with a shotgun (my favorite)..and try different weapons online as they perform differently, AKS-74 is the favorite terrorist weapon, but I myself am growing to love the automatic shotgun...give it a shot!!
Old 11-10-03, 01:54 PM

I recommend finding the proper look speed, acceleration speed for your reflexes. When I first started playing oline, I was getting 2 kills and died about 20 times. I took half a day to adjust the look and accleration adjustments, hop online to test out the adjustments, re-adust, etc... The result now is that I get more kills than deaths. I still suck, but I suck less now.

Thong
Old 11-10-03, 03:52 PM
DAC

Thanks fellas. I definitley will have to practice offline first. Maybe reading the manual would help too but who likes to do that?

I'll give it a whirl.
Old 11-10-03, 04:19 PM

nah, don't do that

you should sign up for the clan, that way we can meet up and answer whatever questions you may have..
Old 11-10-03, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also never played the first Socom and jumped straight into Socom II. Being that I switched from CounterStrike, it is really taking some time to get use to aiming with something other than a mouse. I do agree with what opinion that you should try the single player mode for a bit to at least get familar with the controls. Just don't go getting a big head because you are "untouchable" in the single player mode. Playing against the computer and playing against someone on the other end is a night and day difference.

However, it will definitely improve your game! Not sure if you ever played Counterstrike before. If you have you probably can relate to how much of an asshat many players can be. It seems however that everyone (well everyone that I've met) has been very friendly and helpful.

As for the controls, I find that the Precision Setup works best for me, although you couldn't tell from my kill vs. death count.

Just get comfortable with the controls and then jump online. It's a blast!
Old 11-10-03, 07:58 PM

i played the first one and i still never got the hang of grenades. i never use them.
Old 11-10-03, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DAC
Thanks fellas. I definitley will have to practice offline first. Maybe reading the manual would help too but who likes to do that?

I'll give it a whirl.
Just read the manual while you're on the crapper.
Old 11-10-03, 08:57 PM
Mod Emeritus

Here's the best tip: play A LOT.
Old 11-11-03, 08:23 PM
DAC

Originally posted by Lethal Nemesis
Just read the manual while you're on the crapper.
Funny you should say that. That is exactly what I did