Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBOX Owners - True Crime or GTA?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-03, 12:40 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XBOX Owners - True Crime or GTA?

Although I own a PS2 I've never purchased GTA. I really don't want to get both TC and GTA, as there are so many other games I want to get. So which should I go for?

Are they different enough that I should get both? What are the differences?
Old 11-07-03, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Grand Theft Auto.
Old 11-07-03, 01:06 AM
RVP

Originally posted by einTier
Grand Theft Auto.
Agreed,
Just rented True Crime and I don't think it is nearly as fun as the two GTA games. Also the controls of True Crime feel acward.
Old 11-07-03, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 309 Posts
I love True Crime. It's a great game. But if you never played GTA 3 or VC, then you need to play them ASAP.

Old 11-07-03, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Give them both a rental and see how they are for yourself before doing a blind buy with one of them.
Old 11-07-03, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm impressed with the improvements made to the XBOX editions of the GTA series. The 5.1 soundtracks add a great deal to gameplay and the graphical improvements are terrific. Custom soundtracks are a nice bonus, too.
Old 11-07-03, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts
I just wish the cd changer in GTA was random. Instead of playing the songs in order.
Old 11-07-03, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Go with GTA. True crime is a solid game but GTA is two solid games and you can find it for 10 bucks cheaper. GTA has more replay value as well.
Old 11-07-03, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Go with GTA. True crime is a solid game but GTA is two solid games and you can find it for 10 bucks cheaper. GTA has more replay value as well.
well for Xbox its also 49.99, so unless you're thinking about the PS2 double pack...i dont see where the 10 bucks cheaper comes from.

i have GTA for PS2...never really got into it.. load times killed it for me...maybe i'll get the Xbox version with 5.1 sound..
Old 11-07-03, 11:40 AM

I tried True Crime, but couldn't really get into it. The driving portion of the game seemed a bit...off...to me. I dug the fighting aspect of it, but didn't play it long enough to upgrade my character's abilities. That being said, I might give it another shot when it reaches that magical $19.99 price point.

As for GTA,...
Old 11-07-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by duy37
well for Xbox its also 49.99, so unless you're thinking about the PS2 double pack...i dont see where the 10 bucks cheaper comes from.

i have GTA for PS2...never really got into it.. load times killed it for me...maybe i'll get the Xbox version with 5.1 sound..
Its 39.99 at outpost.com.
Old 11-07-03, 06:54 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for the guidence. I picked up the Xbox GTA double pak today.

Question:

Is Vice City better than GTA III? If so, I may hock my sealed copy of GTA III on ebay. If the games are very similar, I really don't need both.

Make sense?
Old 11-07-03, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by dgc

Question:

Is Vice City better than GTA III? If so, I may hock my sealed copy of GTA III on ebay. If the games are very similar, I really don't need both.

Make sense?
ehhh -- the case will look really bad without having both games. Haven't tried GT:VC yet, but playing GTA3 again -- and having an opportunity to take my sweet time on stuff -- is great.
Old 11-08-03, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I dont think you should do that. Some people prefer GTA III to Vice City and vice versa. Anyways you probably wont be able to get much money off it. I say keep both.
Old 11-08-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Keep both. Start with GTA3, it's a better game, has a better story, has better missions, and overall, is more fun to play. That said, Vice City is still fun, but it feels rushed and isn't as interesting as a whole. However, after finishing both 100%, if I'm going to put one in to goof around with, it's always Vice City. Why? Two words: Helicopters, motorcycles. They are by far the most fun vehicles in either game. Plus, the benefits you get for 100% completion are better in Vice City than in GTA3, and you have a greater variety of weapons.

In closing, GTA3 is the better game, but Vice City has some real enhancements that make it hard to say one game is completely better than the other.
Old 11-08-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 309 Posts
Keep both. Start with GTA3, it's a better game, has a better story, has better missions, and overall, is more fun to play. That said, Vice City is still fun, but it feels rushed and isn't as interesting as a whole. However, after finishing both 100%, if I'm going to put one in to goof around with, it's always Vice City. Why? Two words: Helicopters, motorcycles. They are by far the most fun vehicles in either game. Plus, the benefits you get for 100% completion are better in Vice City than in GTA3, and you have a greater variety of weapons.

In closing, GTA3 is the better game, but Vice City has some real enhancements that make it hard to say one game is completely better than the other.
I disagree. I think VC blows GTA 3 out of the water. Not just for the motorcycles, and helicopters, but for the music as well. I agree that GTA 3 had the better story (just barely, though) but I think that VC has better voice acting (well at least bigger names) and I think that VC makes you laugh more then GTA 3. Plus at least your character talks in VC. It got old seeing your guy not say anything in GTA 3.

Old 11-08-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dgc

Question:

Make sense?

You will be missing out if you do not play and keep both....IMO.
Old 11-09-03, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Plus, the benefits you get for 100% completion are better in Vice City than in GTA3, and you have a greater variety of weapons.
Quick question -- what exactly is gained by 100% in GTA3 -- is it really worth the hassle of doing 100 hospital missions and junk like that?

I've managed the Borgnine taxi -- pretty nice vehicle, but I don't think I'll make 100 fires or patients anytime soon.
Old 11-09-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tuan Jim
Quick question -- what exactly is gained by 100% in GTA3 -- is it really worth the hassle of doing 100 hospital missions and junk like that?

I've managed the Borgnine taxi -- pretty nice vehicle, but I don't think I'll make 100 fires or patients anytime soon.

I have never completed all of the fire, police and ambulance missions. Much too tedious.....but I have completed many taxi missions. Taxi missions provide cash especially when you do many in a row. You receive bonus cash for doing alot at one time added to the fair money.
Old 11-09-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Tuan Jim
Nothing specifically is gained for 100% in GTA3. But, each of the things you complete give you something, so when you have 100%, you have quite an arsenal. The most important thing to me is to make sure you do the vigilante missions. Each ten (20?) gives you a police bribe back at your hideout, and there's nothing like having the tanks after your ass and flying into your hideout, grabbing all the bribes and walking out like nothing happened.

In Vice City, I forget everything you get, but you get all the normal stuff, like fast reloads and weapons at your hideouts, and then for 100%, you get a special outfit, 200 health and 200 armor, and you never have to reload your weapons. I think you also get two dudes that follow you around and help you.

If I was going to replay one tomorrow, it would be GTA3. If I was going to put one in now to just goof off, it would be Vice City. My problem with Vice City is that it was too obvious it was rushed, and there are WAY too many 'checkpoint' style missions.