Relics of the Chozo: A Super Metroid Remix Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-03, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Relics of the Chozo: A Super Metroid Remix Project

http://www.public.asu.edu/~arasulin/index.html

My jaw is on the floor.

These guys have created an entire CD of remixes of every single song from Super Metroid and blended them together to create what is, in my opinion, the greatest re-interpretation of a video game soundtrack (and I never though anything would knock off the very cool, VERY eccentric Secret of Mana+ CD).

These are not just simple remixes, but they have masterfully recreated the themes into something new, while maintaing the atmosphere and excitement of Metroid. Some fo the new themes bring an extremely geeky grin to my face everytime I hear them. I wish they had a Paypal button or something on the site because I feel this CD could've been sold as an actual album and is certainly hundreds of times better than most of the video game remix CDs created and sold in Japan.

If you like Super Metroid YOU MUST DOWNLOAD THIS AND BURN IT TO CD NOW!!

Old 11-06-03, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Downloaded it. I love video game music so this should be pretty cool.
Old 11-06-03, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tell me what you think.. while I have a great ear for good remixes (being a DJ and all).. I still think I may be a little swayed because these are remixes of my favorite game.

Then again.. I have heard some really poor Metroid remixes..
Old 11-06-03, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not metroid but I like this one. Not sure if it's been posted here before. It's a remix of Ico music.

http://www.ocremix.org/detailmix.php?mixid=OCR01056

I'd download the Metroid remix but it's not in a format I can play. Dunno why they didn't convert it to something more accessible.

Last edited by Galanthas; 11-06-03 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-06-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OGG plays in Winamp. They are superior to MP3 files in every way.
Old 11-06-03, 10:33 AM

I'm not saying they are inferior to any other format, just that other formats are more accessible to the masses which includes me. I don't have Winamp on my comp since I see no need since I already have a music player. I don't like to download codecs either since the last one I installed killed WMP and I had to reinstall it.
Old 11-06-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I'm on track 10 and so far I think it's really good. Addictive to listen to, and makes me want to pop in Metroid Prime. (Yes, I know it's the music from Super Metroid)
Old 11-06-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Galanthas, they have a link to an OGG codec for WMP on the site, I had to install it on my work PC since I don't have Winamp here and it works like a charm. If you won't install codecs for new formats you're going to limit to what you can view/listen to in the future. I can understand the frustration with crashes though.. I had that problem with the MJPEG codec a couple of years ago.
Old 11-06-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What's the best OGG->MP3 converter out there? Cool Edit pretty much laughed at the OGG files .
Old 11-06-03, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Check the site.. they have links software for conversion.

But why would you want to convert unless you are using it on an mp3 player or something? Loss of quality + Bigger file size.
Old 11-06-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Because I will use it in an MP3 player...
Old 11-06-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This music is kick ass! . They do a good job on creating the Metroid atmosphere in the music and making it sweet at the same time.

Metroid Prime had some pretty damn good music too, that music when you first land on Tallon IV gave me goosebumps. I think I'm gonna go play it now .

BTW, this is the first time I've ever used an OGG before, if you have some good speakers the quality is great! I'm using an OGG codec for Winamp, so I just play it in that.
Old 11-06-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If the MP3 name had not reached it's "status" from stuff like Napster, OGG would've been the next step. The quality is amazing and look at those file sizes!! I'm part of a big trance music community and we've many times comtemplated switching to OGG for ripping and releasing tracks. The problem is MP3 is too widespread, it's going to be a huge thing to push audio files to the next format.

I've actually started archiving the vinyl I record to OGG for personal use.
Old 11-06-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Outlaw
Metroid Prime had some pretty damn good music too, that music when you first land on Tallon IV gave me goosebumps. I think I'm gonna go play it now .
I paid $40 for the friggin Metroid Prime soundtrack and one of my favorite tracks, the music you hear when fighting Space Pirates, has a nasty "clicking" noise on it like a bad encoded MP3. Apparently this is on all copies of the CD. Minor gripe I know, but still when you actually PAY for the music..
Old 11-06-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really like it. Ogg files are no problem for me because I use Goldwave to convert to wave to make an audio cd.

One of my favorite games so listening to this soundtrack was a lot of fun.
Old 11-06-03, 07:31 PM

Well I downloaded the Ogg codec for WMP since I did want to hear the music. Downloaded the first track started playing it and noticed an icon in my taskbar near the time.. Shut WMP down and uninstalled the ogg codec. I don't like anything in that task bar besides my Firewall icon, little pet peeve of mine. Downloaded the dBpowerAMP Ogg codec and just transferred them to mp3 instead. Sounds good so far. Did you listen to that ICO track? I like that one quite a bit, dunno why either.
Old 11-06-03, 10:19 PM

Finally listened to all the tracks. It was worth the hassle converting and everything to listen to it. What type of music would this be called normally? Trance? Is that Ico one I posted a few posts up considered Trance if this is too?
Old 11-07-03, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nah.. trance is a style of dance music with a definite 4/4 beat pattern with heavy emphasis on meoldy. Most of this I would really consider experimental/electronic/score.. really hard to place a specific genre to it.

I'll listen to the ICO remix when I get home and tell you what I think.
Old 11-07-03, 08:13 AM
Banned

trance is a style of dance music
LOL!
Old 11-07-03, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Revoltor
LOL!
..and just WHY is that LOL? I've been a trance addict since 1999 and a DJ since 2001.
Old 11-07-03, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Galanthas
Finally listened to all the tracks. It was worth the hassle converting and everything to listen to it. What type of music would this be called normally? Trance? Is that Ico one I posted a few posts up considered Trance if this is too?
Yeah the ICO one is also one of my favorites. The interpretation of the song is amazing of what they were able to do with such a short and simple song. I always liked that little tune when you are saving. I actually had downloaded when it was a finished WIP, it took them 3 months to review and post it. Thats the only thing I don't like about OCR, it takes them frickin' forever to post submissions, sometimes it takes 5 or 6 months, but I can't really complain that much because its practically one of the only sites that deals only with good VG mixes and not to mention is 100% free .

This Metroid remix is a lot of diverse styles, ranges from electronic, dramatic movie score like, tribal, atmospheric, to upbeat dance.

Very nicely done by the musicians to cover so many styles (and of course by the original Metroid composer, Hip Tanaka).

Last edited by Outlaw; 11-07-03 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-07-03, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hip Tanaka did not do Super Metroid, only the original.

I think.. to date, there has been a different composer(s) for each Metroid game.
Old 12-23-03, 03:07 PM

I've been listening to this soundtrack more and more lately and have come to appreciate it a lot more, thanks for pointing it out Pixy. It even got me in the mood to start playing MP again a few days ago, so I'm playing on hard now trying to get 100% this time.
Old 12-23-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Galanthas
I've been listening to this soundtrack more and more lately and have come to appreciate it a lot more, thanks for pointing it out Pixy. It even got me in the mood to start playing MP again a few days ago, so I'm playing on hard now trying to get 100% this time.
No problem. I still love this CD and it makes regular rotation in my player in the car.

I have a save of Prime on Hard, 100% about 7:30~.. I got frustrated trying to kill Metroid Prime on hard so I never finished it.. I will need to go back and do that though. I think I ended up in a real good battle with him (it?) which lasted a good 20-30 minutes and ended with my demise.

You may want to check this out.. http://www.metroidmetal.com/
Old 12-23-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just listened to this CD again a few days ago and its still very impressive. If I was Nintendo I would do an updated version of Super Metroid on the Cube and add this soundtrack to it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.