Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Best Year for Console Gaming?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-03, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Best Year for Console Gaming?

Wow, I'm really overwhelmed with the new game that are out, and the new games that are going to be released in the next few weeks. I just have to say, this is one great year for console gaming! I've done 3 TRU deals already, running out of $$$, and I'm still seeing so many games I would like to get my hands on!!!
It is specially great if you have multi-consoles, as you get your choice based on whats important to you, whether its on-line gaming, graphics or sound, or whatever takes your fancy. Check out the gaming mags, and you'll see so many 9's and 10's on game reviews. So do you think this is the best year yet? I have LOTR, Prince of Persia, and a bunch more calling....... I'll be in trouble with the wife before the year ends!!! ; )

Last edited by DVDGamer; 11-01-03 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-01-03, 08:02 PM

[sighs] that horrible phrase.."the wife"..makes it sound like you hate her and wish she didn't exist..love her..cherish her..enjoy her....= (

Anyways, the best year for games was in the mid 90's..Phantasy Star 4, Shining Force 2, 3d fighters, Street Fighter Alpha, the birth of the Playstation and Saturn, and a brand new way of operating systems in Win9x....
Old 11-01-03, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so far this year... i've gotten an xbox, gamecube and a gameboy. (already had a ps2)... yeah, i think it's a good year for console gaming.

counterpoint - my wallet is crying.
Old 11-01-03, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by sararekuforever
[sighs] that horrible phrase.."the wife"..makes it sound like you hate her and wish she didn't exist..love her..cherish her..enjoy her....= (
Don't even talk if you are not currently or have not been married.

And yes, I think this is one of the greatest times to be a console gamer. Great graphics, online gaming capabilities, 3 consoles each with their own AAA titles, and great prices on games. Life is good.

And we are just hitting the sweet spot with this gen of hardware. Developers are coming out with the true 2nd gen and beyond of games on this generation of consoles, so they are starting to take advantage of the technology.

I'd be gaming constantly if it weren't for other things in life... kids, wife, job, etc
Old 11-01-03, 09:08 PM

Life will be even better if they can bring down the prices!! I was hoping Sony's $39.99 price tag for games will catch on and everyone else will be at that price point.

What I really find great is that the good games are across game types. I am not into a lot of games that get the best ratings (SSX3, Ratchet and Clank, etc..) but even then I could appreciate the quality of these games. They're all quite a leap from the quality of games just one or two years ago!
Old 11-01-03, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by sniper308
Don't even talk if you are not currently or have not been married.

And yes, I think this is one of the greatest times to be a console gamer. Great graphics, online gaming capabilities, 3 consoles each with their own AAA titles, and great prices on games. Life is good.

And we are just hitting the sweet spot with this gen of hardware. Developers are coming out with the true 2nd gen and beyond of games on this generation of consoles, so they are starting to take advantage of the technology.

I'd be gaming constantly if it weren't for other things in life... kids, wife, job, etc
Well, because of that, I want to be married, and can't imagine why people have to use the word so negatively.

My family is very happily married as well, and I have never heard the word used in such a negative tone.

I have never seen one person say "My Wife", only "The Wife"
Old 11-02-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, because of that, I want to be married, and can't imagine why people have to use the word so negatively.

My family is very happily married as well, and I have never heard the word used in such a negative tone.

I have never seen one person say "My Wife", only "The Wife"
Well, I lovingly refer to her as "The Old Lady", does that perk you up any?

It doesn't necessarily have a negative context... Anyway, don't rush it partner. Plenty of living to do and games to play before getting married and the more you live before you get married, the happier you will be once you are married. You'll know better who you are and will have less regrets.

You obviously haven't been around many middle aged guys or you would have heard it put in much more negative tones.

As far as pricing on games, I'd have to say they are pretty good (I remember the huge prices on lots of cartridge games and the fact that they seemed to stay high for a long time after release). I wish they were cheaper still, but then that is how I am. However, considering inflation, etc today's prices are a definite bargain. Especially if you wait for a little while after release to buy.
Old 11-02-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts
It's better then saying "wifey" or something lol
Old 11-02-03, 04:36 PM

Yes, true

I just wish people would either

FIrst name

or

"my wife"

or

something like that

Strangely, I've never heard female dvdtalkers say "husband" in that kind of tone
Old 11-02-03, 04:38 PM

Wrong thread

Last edited by sararekuforever; 11-02-03 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-02-03, 04:43 PM

Wrong thread

Last edited by sararekuforever; 11-02-03 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-03-03, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sararekuforever:

You forgot to fix the other ones. This is a thread discussing the seemingly higher than average number of new video game releases this month. You've derailed this thread in its first reply, and your reasons for doing so have no merit whatsoever. I could explain why, but I don't think it will help you understand.

If you need a means of expression to vent about how you feel when you read or hear what other people say, start keeping a journal. I think I speak for the video game forum as a whole when I say that threads like these are not an appropriate place for you to express your dismay in what you perceive to be others' shortcomings.

Please stop.
Old 11-03-03, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I still think 2004 will be huge for PC gaming. PC gaming magazines are already starting to get thicker again - and not just holiday and christmas issues...
Old 11-03-03, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
There are a lot of good PC games coming out that I'm stoked on.

Call of Duty this week and sometime in the near future HL2 and Quake 3.

But as far as consoles go. Yeah, there sure seems to be a lot of good Xbox games coming out over the next few months.
Old 11-03-03, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah - I was just refrencing a thread I posted several months ago claiming that 2004 would be the year for PC gaming or something. I do notice that consoles have alot of great stuff coming out. But then again - it's the holidays, so it's expected. Plus, we're a few years into this generation and enough time has passed that developers are just hitting their strides. Judging on last years E3, there's still alot more awesome-ness to come for consoles.
Old 11-03-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by Trigger
I do notice that consoles have alot of great stuff coming out. But then again - it's the holidays, so it's expected. Plus, we're a few years into this generation and enough time has passed that developers are just hitting their strides. Judging on last years E3, there's still alot more awesome-ness to come for consoles.
Halo 2!

'nuff said!

(but that's not all I'm waiting for).
Old 11-03-03, 06:48 PM

I used to be a PC gamer as well. But it was really getting expensive to keep up with as you'd always have to do the upgrades. What I like about pcs though is that prices go down much faster. What will be sad for the console game publishers is that with so many games that are of real good quality, for sure a few of these won't reach their target sales. Good for us players as their prices will probably go down fast. I try to factor that as I think of what games won't sell as well. But in the end, the purchase really has to be the game that you want.

Now my next quest is to find out what other sale event I should look out for to get the most of our gaming buck! And for sure DVD Talk Forum will help me out in this quest!
Old 11-03-03, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think next year will be the BEST year for PC Gaming; since I plan on getting a pretty decent gaming system in January. But I guess it's really only a "personal best"...

The console games haven't been quite so "must have" this year as the last couple, even though MY WIFE and I still enjoy the PS2 and Gamecube, there just don't seem to be as many games we simply HAVE to buy... or maybe we just bought them all already...