Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Whats the best Game System for Kids?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-03, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the best Game System for Kids?

My son, who is 5, has been playing our neighbor kid's PS2, and has announced that he wants one for Christmas. It has been years since I have kept up with game systems, and we went to Toys'R'Us last night and checked them out. I am leaning toward the GameCube because it seems like there is a larger variety of kid-themed games for it. My wife likes the PS2 because it can play DVD's. Needless to say at this point we don't have much of a clue!

Anybody have any opinions on these systems, and which one will be better for 5 and 8 year olds? We are going to closely monitor the games they play on it, regardless of what system we buy.

Thanks for the help!!

Dave
Old 10-31-03, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The best game system as you know is the parents. They land on us. Jump up and down on us. Run into us. And generally pummel the heck out of us.

Gamecube is good.
Old 10-31-03, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Personally, I'm partial to the XBOX, but Gamecube would certainly be best for kids.
Old 10-31-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would lean towards the GameCube as well, I think all 3 are fine as long as you monitor the software you buy/let them play. PS/2 and GameCube have the biggest selection of games that are appropriate for a 5 year old. I have all 3 systems and my kids (4, 6, and 8) play the PS/2 and Cube for the most part. Super Monkey Ball and Mario Party are great games for kids. The new Mario Kart should be good for kids as well, the earlier versions still keep my kids going on the N64 and even the SNES.
Old 10-31-03, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Funny, no one mentioned the best system for kids there ever was... Gameboy.

There are ten times more games for kids then the other systems combined.
Old 10-31-03, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gamecube/GBA, especially with the current price. Possibly a real good deal on Black Friday.
Old 10-31-03, 09:05 AM

The Gamecube is a good system for kids, but my seven year old plays the PS2 more. Both systems have some very good games for kids. My kid really likes Jak and Daxter, Zelda, Super Smash Brothers, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, and Basketball games. You can find plenty for them to play on either system. There are also some good early childhood games of the PS1 (which the PS2 can play and can be pick up cheap used). The Cube has a nice bonus of it being 99.00, and the upcoming Zelda bundle would be a nice system. The PS2 does have the the ability to play dvd's which is why my wife had me put the PS2 in the master bedroom and the Cube is in my kids room. I think if I could only have one system I'd talk to the kids and find out which games they seem most interested in and base the decsion on that. A trip to best buy, walmart or back to Toy's 'r Us with you kids to talk about games may help.
Old 10-31-03, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Gameboy Advance, hands down.
Old 10-31-03, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Originally posted by PixyJunket
Gameboy Advance, hands down.
Yep. My 5 year old just loves her/my GBA-sp, cause she can take it anywhere!
Old 10-31-03, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My 4-year-old loves his Gamecube (and GBA SP! He plays with that more than the Cube). You can also get the Gameboy Player which will let you play GBA games on the Gamecube. Even without the GBA connectivity, the Gamecube is still a great system for little ones, with fantastic exclusive games like Zelda, Super Mario Sunshine (plus the Luigi and Wario games, with more Mario on the way -- Mario Kart Double Dash!), Super Smash Brothers, Super Monkey Ball. Numerous Disney and Nickelodeon games are out for Cube with more on the way. We also had Dreamcast previously, so my son was very excited to see Sonic show up on Gamecube. In addition, the controllers (Wavebird is amazing!) fit his little hands better than the PS2 or Xbox controllers, which actually was one of the main reasons he picked Gamecube (we let him play with all three at Toys R Us to test them out, and I agree with that earlier recommendation). I honestly don't see where there's really any question that for young children the Gamecube is the way to go. Older kids and adults might be happier with one of the other 2 consoles, but I just can't see the same advantages for little ones.
Old 10-31-03, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wouldn't say that there is any particular system for kids, it's just a matter of policing what they play on whatever system you buy for them, and determining what is age-appropriate for your child. Nintendo does have a great deal more games that are geared towards younger children, but so don't the PS2 and XBox. I would check out gaming websites like http://www.videogames.com or http://www.ign.com to look at some of the games currently available for children on each system, and then hopefully make your choice then. You obviously don't want your kids to be playing Grand Theft Auto, but something like Rayman, Harvest Moon, or any of the Zelda games may be good choices.
Old 10-31-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it might be important to consider getting a PS2 for your child, even though it may not be as age-appropriate as the GameCube.

I know when I was a kid, it wasn't as important which game system you had, so long as it was the one everyone else had. I had a ColecoVision, which was much better than the Atari 2600, but had it not been able to play 2600 games, I would have been sunk. Why? Because I would have been unable to trade games with friends, and I would have had to lug the whole gaming system instead of just the cartridges when I wanted to play at friend's house or they wanted to play at mine. Having a compatible system is very important when you may only buy four or five games over the lifespan of the system.

Plus, it's got a DVD player. Many will tell you this isn't important, but if you don't currently have a DVD player, or if you need a second one, it's definately something to think about. If it's going in his room, it would definately be nice for him to have his own DVD player to watch his DVDs on.

Better yet, ask your kid what he wants. He'll know, and kids HATE the bait-and-switch, even if it is for a 'better product'.
Old 10-31-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
the PS2.

It does have a number of kid friendly games plus it has a huge library of inexpensive PS1 games available for it.
Old 10-31-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Remember New Gamecube Bunddle w/ Zelda Limited Disc. for $99.99 coming out NOVEMBER 17, 2003 (Includes 6 classic zelda games from N64, SNES, NES).

The BEST GameCube Bundle ever

Last edited by Jtnguyen12; 10-31-03 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-31-03, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by Jtnguyen12
Remember New Gamecube Bunddle w/ Zelda Limited Disc. for $9.99
Somebody is 9-challenged
Old 10-31-03, 11:35 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
If you really want to a kid safe system... go to GameStop or EBGames and grab a N64. The games are cheap, great library for kids, and if they bust it, go get another cheap one.

My 5 year-old son has the N64 in his room and he loves it. He plays Super Smash Bros constantly as well as the car racing games and pod racer. I don't care how he treats it. The Gamecube is my bedroom and off limits to the kids unless my wife or I are playing too.

But if you want to go with a newer system, GBASP w/ Pokemon Pinball is the fav in our house right now.
Old 10-31-03, 12:35 PM

If he specifically asked for a PS2, I'd get him a PS2.

That said, if he specifically asked for a SNES, I'd get him that too. Point is, get him what he wants, it's Christmas.
Old 10-31-03, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by einTier
I think it might be important to consider getting a PS2 for your child, even though it may not be as age-appropriate as the GameCube.

I know when I was a kid, it wasn't as important which game system you had, so long as it was the one everyone else had. I had a ColecoVision, which was much better than the Atari 2600, but had it not been able to play 2600 games, I would have been sunk. Why? Because I would have been unable to trade games with friends, and I would have had to lug the whole gaming system instead of just the cartridges when I wanted to play at friend's house or they wanted to play at mine. Having a compatible system is very important when you may only buy four or five games over the lifespan of the system.

Plus, it's got a DVD player. Many will tell you this isn't important, but if you don't currently have a DVD player, or if you need a second one, it's definately something to think about. If it's going in his room, it would definately be nice for him to have his own DVD player to watch his DVDs on.

Better yet, ask your kid what he wants. He'll know, and kids HATE the bait-and-switch, even if it is for a 'better product'.
I agree with this reasoning completely. However, his friends may in fact have GameCubes rather than Playstation 2s. After all, Nintendo has sold a few million units, presumably mostly to this age demographic.
Old 10-31-03, 03:20 PM

If he played the PS2 at a friends house and liked it, THATS the system he's going to want to get, not any other.

There are mature titles on every system, so its up to you to know what your kid is playing. With the PS2, there's plenty of titles that are suitable for all ages.
Old 10-31-03, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What about a Super Nintendo? Sure would be alot cheaper, and probably be just as much fun for your kids.
Old 10-31-03, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
We got our kids GameCube last year because they do have a greater number of kid friendly titles.
Old 10-31-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'm afraid to post in this thread... this feels like entrapment.
Old 10-31-03, 07:28 PM

Is there really peer pressure to get the "right" system among 5 year olds? I would think they'd be pretty happy with anything that hooked up to the tv.

I'd say Xbox is a clear last place among the current three for this age group. Other than that, just about any system, past or present, has plenty of software for that demographic.
Old 10-31-03, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

SNES or Genesis, they are both nearly indestructible!
Old 11-01-03, 12:28 PM

Would you want your children watching a bad movie?

Then don't get them kid friendly games

[Unless you mean Disney games on Sega Genesis]

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.