Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Gamecube's Kirby's Air Ride & Mario Kart: Double Dash may be able to go online...

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gamecube's Kirby's Air Ride & Mario Kart: Double Dash may be able to go online...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-03, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A program similar to Xbox's tunneling software will more than likely take Mario Kart: Double Dash online. Read on...

Taken from Lik-Sang's Headlines
========================
The Warp Pipe Project is an open source project to bring LAN-based GameCube games online. It's absolutely free, and the developers just released a first "alpha" version. That means that it basically works, but it's still under development and the developers need your help testing it.

Warp Pipe Alpha for Windows

Warp Pipe is currently available as Windows program, while a Mac OS X and Linux version are still being developed. The developers are aiming for a stable release in time for Mario Kartouble Dash!!

According to Warppipe.com the supported games are:

Kiry Air Ride (out now)
Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (November 7)
1080° Avalanche

If you have the following equipment and you are connected to the internet via a broadband connection, don't hesitate and start beta testing right away:

1) Internet Router
2) GameCube Broadband Adapter
3) PC/MAC connected to router
4) GameCube connected to router
5) Warp Pipe software (running on PC/MAC)
==============
For those of you who didn't fork out the bucks to get PSO online when it was released for Gamecube, I think now's the time. Apparently, due to the recent demand, the price is now $10 higher than when I originally bought it. Anyone gonna try out Kirby's Air Ride? Post your results here...
Old 10-27-03, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow! - Not that IS some hot news.
Old 10-27-03, 06:56 PM

I was hoping for this. That's why I picked up two broadband adapters at Wal-mart when I saw them last month.

And anyone looking for one that can't find it locally, Nintendo has them on their website (although it is currently on backorder--scheduled to ship on 10/27).
Old 10-27-03, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 10-27-03, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is the coolest vg news i have heard in awhile, i knew someone would figure this out. I wonder if this will make nintendo rethink things? Will they make games online, or get rid of lan support to stop this?
Old 10-28-03, 01:21 AM

Probably not. It's good to see others taking action for something Nintendo was originally supposed to do. Seeing as how the Xbox got their LAN games working across the internet, I knew eventually the same would go for the Nintendo games. I think with the outside development and interest, they'll start to think about the online capabilities a little more under consideration with future titles.

Also, for those looking for the broadband units, I didn't think of it earlier but more than likely Nintendo will start shipping these to major video game retailers sometime soon. Don't go the ebay route yet and overpay. I learned with the Dreamcast Broadband Adapter and just recently sold it off. Didn't get nearly what I paid for it but I needed the money.
Old 10-28-03, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 10-28-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 10-28-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So is this going to be like the Xbox tunneling or will this actually be semi-playable?
Old 11-03-03, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well this makes it official that Nintendo must be working on some sort of official online system. Everytime a group starts working on their own method (i.e. the AB) Nintendo will come out a short while later with something that it turns out they'd been working on for years .

Apparently there's also another group that is working on Gamecube tunneling software also:

http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.c...n=item&id=4809
The XLink team is hard at work on an overhauled version of its popular Xbox tunneling software, XLink Messenger. Planet GameCube has confirmed that, despite the “X” in its title, the third major release (codenamed Kai) will fully support the GameCube!

The XLink team says initial testing with the GameCube and their tunneling software ran “nice and smooth.” It seems the packet caching engine originally designed for Xbox games is just as effective with the LAN-capable GameCube games currently available.

XLink Messenger GameCube support is identical to its Xbox support. The XLink Messenger, which runs on Windows-based PCs, has three modes: messenger, WGN and Rooms. Messenger Mode features a personal message interface where you can chat and play 1-on-1. WGN (World Gaming Network) Mode hooks your GameCube to a worldwide virtual LAN resembling Xbox Live! Rooms Mode lies somewhere in-between, letting users form and play within public and password-protected rooms organized by game. The XLink Messenger even boasts real-time voice streaming through a PC microphone!

So, what will you need to play GameCube games online with the XLink Messenger? Besides a BBA and a GC game with LAN support, you’ll need a PC running Windows 95 or later, a broadband connection, and an network to connect the GC to your PC.

RC3 Kai is still in the coding stages, but it is progressing nicely. The XLink crew aims to release the software before the end of the year. You can visit XLink's website for more details on the XLink scene, but PGC will be sure to keep you updated as the release nears completion!
Old 11-03-03, 02:20 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I know very little about networking. I have DSL, a GameCube, and Kirby's Air Ride. Now that I see it will actually be useful, I'll track down the BBA. What should I get in the way of a router? My home theater/GCN is in the living room while my computer is in my study down the hall, so I'm thinking I'd need a wireless router. Any suggestions on how to facilitate this and what it will involve?