Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

True Crime: Streets of L.A.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-03, 02:13 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True Crime: Streets of L.A.

Unless the court rules in favor of that guy's lawsuit against the game and Activision, we are all set for a November 4th release across all platforms. Which brings me to my question.... why isn't anyone talking about it? If Activision delivers on its promises, True Crime could be as huge as the GTA franchise. Please everyone feel free to share your thoughts on this upcoming title. As a GC owner, you can probably imagine how long I've wanted a GTA type game of my own, so there's no doubt on how great my anticipation is...

I don't know how many of you know this, but over at GameFAQs on the PS2 True Crime board there is a thread called "G'head ask me anything about the game" started by alexdagreat. The thread (currently) is 35+ pages long, and features alexdagreat answering anything you could hope to ever know about the game. It's up to you to believe him or not, as he claims to be the friend of a journalist who obtained a copy that is 90% complete, and has played it extensively. If it matters at all, I'm one of the biggest skeptics on the planet, and believe alex 100%. In short, this is a summary of what he says to be the major pros and cons from the game.

Pros:
- The city looks pretty much exactly like L.A. The city is alive and breathing, and looks like it could survive just fine with or without you.
- The element of surprise. He says that not ever being able to predict what will happen next, will give this game unlimited replay value. He says that you may shoot someone, and later find out that he was an underling in the mafia, who is now out for your head. Or you may give chase to some hostile thugs, and at the end they will simply submit to you. He gave better examples, and they all sounded really cool...
- The improved difficulty (and AI) of opponents as opposed to GTA. Also, he says there is more incentive in True Crime to complete missions than there were in GTA.

Cons:
- The handling of cars and bikes (which now may have been removed) really sucks...
- Damage to cars and trees are unrealistic. Supposedly you can kick or shoot a car a few times, and it will explode. He says trees can be run over by cars too. He gets the sense that cars and trees are made out of cardboard.
- The music streams whether Nick is in a car or not. There is no car radio.
- Nick's catch phrases can get annoying.

In all he believes that True Crime is a better game than GTA3 and Vice City.
Old 10-22-03, 02:15 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Lawsuit?
Old 10-22-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts
True Crime.....can't wait....must get....too....many....good....games...coming....out.....
Old 10-22-03, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
Lawsuit?
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/adventur...s_6076984.html

L.A. crime author Robert Crais sues Activision over Nick Kang character.

Activision saw its drive to publish True Crime: The Streets of LA hit a pothole today as crime author Robert Crais reportedly announced that he is taking legal action to stop the game's November 4 release.

Crais filed suit in Los Angeles US District Court and is currently seeking an injunction to prevent Activision from shipping the game. The suit also seeks undisclosed monetary damages and "destruction of all infringing works."

What's Crais' beef? The writer claims that Nick Kang, the grizzled ex-cop antihero of True Crime, is a rip-off of Elvis Cole, the grizzled ex-cop antihero of nine Crais novels, including L.A. Requiem and Free Fall.

"True Crime is substantially similar to the Elvis Cole novels," states the suit, which accuses Activision of copying "protectable expressions." (Those who've read Crais' novels and seen footage of True Crime will notice Kang and Cole also share an affinity for mirrored sunglasses and beating criminals senseless.)

E-mails to Crais were not returned and Activision representatives wouldn't comment on the matter except to say it expected the game to ship as scheduled.

Developed by Luxoflux, True Crime LA is one of Activision's most heavily promoted Q4 releases. The title's combination of Grand Theft Auto-like shooting and driving with martial arts-influenced hand-to-hand combat has generated significant interest among gamers.

By Tor Thorsen
Old 10-22-03, 02:31 PM

I lost interest in the game after reading about the handling of the cars and this:
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/adventur...s_6076913.html

West Coast gangsta rap pumps companion CD to Activision's would-be GTA.

Don't like West Coast hip-hop? Then you better pump down the volume if you're going to play True Crime: Streets of LA.

The soundtrack CD for Activision's answer to Grand Theft Auto was revealed today, and while the GTA series opted for a variety of musical genres, the True Crime soundtrack will be straight-up gangsta. Twenty original tracks from West Coast rappers will be featured on the disc, produced by Koch Entertainment and Vybe Squad, Activision's music partners on the project.

The most famous name is the ubiquitous Snoop Dogg, who is joined by other current chart-toppers, like Westside Connection and DJ Quik. The soundtrack also includes new material from old names like Boo-Yaa T.R.I.B.E. and Warren G.

The complete lineup of tunes is as follows:

1. Dance With Me - Snoop Dogg
2. True Crime Remix (Young West Edition) - The Game, Young Dre, Bishop, & Sixx John
3. Terrorist Threat - Westside Connection
4. Don't Fight The Pimpin' - Suga Free - DJ Quik
5. I'll Do Anything - Damizza, N.U.N.E.
6. We Came Here To Ride - Warren G. Feat RBX
7. Drinks in the Air - Hollywood (Unique, J'Nel, Swoop)
8. Hollywood - Bizzy Bone
9. Thug Night (Let Me See Something) - Jayo Felony
10. We Don't Stop/Soulstar
11. Do Time - Pomona City Rydaz, Lil ½ Dead
12. Legends - Boo-Yaa T.R.I.B.E. and Battlecat
13. Don't Do Tha Crime (Trailer Theme) Kam feat. Cavie & Above the Law
14. They Don't Know - Dee Dimes Feat. Bigg Swoop
15. G'z Moving - Big Tray Deee, feat. Pomona City Rydaz
16. Flow - Sly Boogy
17. How We Live - Lil ½ Dead, Showtime, Kontroversy & Quicktomac
18. Roll Wit Me - Young Billionaires
19. Cali Folks - Stylistik
20. Get It Craccin' - Lil' Eazy-E
True Crime: Streets of LA is scheduled to start in on the carjacking November 4.

By Tor Thorsen
Old 10-22-03, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not a big hip hop fan, but I do like Snoop and Warren G, so that should be cool.
Old 10-22-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is it just me or does this game have the worst title of any "big" release in a while? It reminds me of the 8-bit days when games had really dramatic/cheesy sounding titles. Just a personal peeve I guess.

The preview vids look alright, but nothing special.
Old 10-22-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
This title has been going downhill for a solid year. At E3 they had a neat display and a playable beta going on... the gameplay was pretty rough and the driving was pretty bad and it was filled with bugs. The soundtrack was a big disappointment (for me). It isn't shaping up to be quite the same thing they promised originally. In the end though - I still hope that at the very least it's fun to drive around or walk around in a virtual LA - even if the rest of it is crappy. I also hope you can pick your own soundtrack on the xbox and pc
Old 10-22-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Trigger
I also hope you can pick your own soundtrack on the xbox and pc

Is this supposed to be released on the PC?
Old 10-22-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would imagine it would be eventually
Old 10-22-03, 03:31 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know though, people have said that this game has come around a full 180 since E3 and the demos that were in that PS magazine not too long ago. Even the handling is said to be much improved...
Old 10-22-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Last I heard (OXM this month?) the Xbox version has customizable soundtracks and there are actual DJs on the car's radio stations(!).
Old 10-22-03, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On the demo dvd that comes with the current issue of PSM, there is an extensive video for this game.

I thought the fighting engine looked pretty good (and the shooting isn't too bad, but it seems a tad hard to aim). But the driving part is by far the worst of the bunch. It looks so floaty and you can basically run through almost anything.

If that video is close to what the final rev is going to be, I would say pass. The driving portion is not even CLOSE to the nice feel of GTA series (judging purely by the way it moves and such).

We will see if it is any good.
Old 10-22-03, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by Lastblade
On the demo dvd that comes with the current issue of PSM, there is an extensive video for this game.

I thought the fighting engine looked pretty good (and the shooting isn't too bad, but it seems a tad hard to aim). But the driving part is by far the worst of the bunch. It looks so floaty and you can basically run through almost anything.

If that video is close to what the final rev is going to be, I would say pass. The driving portion is not even CLOSE to the nice feel of GTA series (judging purely by the way it moves and such).

We will see if it is any good.
That's odd to since the driving physics were decent in Luxoflux's other Vigilante 8 games. Totally different genre and engine but still.
Old 10-22-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
I'm going to be renting this just to see if I can find my apartment in the game. I'm in Los Angeles. Does anyone know whether or not you get full access to the whole city right away? Or do you have to unlock parts of LA as you progress through the game?

Last edited by ben12; 10-22-03 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-22-03, 06:54 PM
Banned

The game looks really good and enjoyable, not more than the GTA series, but still looks to be much fun.
Old 10-22-03, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As much as I want to like it, the videos just scream Dead to Rights instead of GTA.
Old 10-22-03, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by ben12
I'm going to be renting this just to see if I can find my apartment in the game. I'm in Los Angeles.
I'll do the same. I went to UCLA and I'd like to drive around the green and crash into the bear. I'd also like to plow through the virtual *******s clogging up Wilshire whose real-life counterparts made my daily 1-mile commute take 25 minutes.
Old 10-22-03, 11:46 PM
Banned

I'm looking forword to True Crime. I listen to rap so the soundrack wont bother me. I will get this game for my GC instead of my PS2 since my GC is lacking in games.
Old 10-23-03, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

IGN has up a hands on preview, they didnt mention the controls or any specifics about what they liked/disliked, but it does sound like they had a blast with it.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/456/456...html?fromint=1
Old 10-23-03, 11:21 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

I shouldn't have read that preview, as I am now too hyped about getting it! Everything mentioned in it is in line with alexdagreat's comments on the game. Not one negative comment? I predict this game to be very highly rated and the biggest stocking stuffer this holiday season...
Old 10-25-03, 04:01 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow! Now comes the news (from IGN) that Snoop Dogg can be unlocked as a playable character with his own mini mission. Looks like the game keeps getting better for some, and keeps getting worse for others!
Old 10-25-03, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by IIG
Wow! Now comes the news (from IGN) that Snoop Dogg can be unlocked as a playable character with his own mini mission. Looks like the game keeps getting better for some, and keeps getting worse for others!
Snoop going back to his roots
Old 10-25-03, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

LOL

Classic
Old 10-25-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Haha thats so awesome...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.