Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Tiger Woods 2004 Help (Xbox)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-03, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts
Tiger Woods 2004 Help (Xbox)

Can anyone help me with putting in this game? Also club selection, and whatnot?

I know very little about golf, but I have heard people are getting scores of 60 under, Tiger Woods is waaay too easy, etc. I got an eagle once, it was a complete fluke, and I normally average like 30-40 over each tourney. Yes, I suck that bad.

I do not know how to judge the putts. I try to do the caddy tips but there is no way to tell how much is an inch, or how hard to hit it, and such.

I love this game, but if I continue to be this bad, I am getting rid of it. I know practice makes perfect, but I have played like a week and still haven't gotten the hang of it
Old 10-18-03, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alight tap of the d-pad is generally an inch, but not always. Pay attention to the white line leading up to the hole. Also, pay attention whether it's uphill or down. Generally i find the ball rolls farther than it says when it goes downhill and vice versa. Trust me, you'll get the hang of it.. Don't ditch it, you'll regret it.
Old 10-18-03, 09:26 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Also, have you turned on the green grid in your options menu? That helps a lot.
Old 10-18-03, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

green grid is on, but I don't understand it. I either overshoot the putts, or undershoot them. Every so often I will get lucky and make one but I am not consistent at all. I rarely get birdies, mostly pars and bogeys, a few triple bogeys.

I have no clue what I am doing wrong
Old 10-18-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by nickdawgy
green grid is on, but I don't understand it. I either overshoot the putts, or undershoot them. Every so often I will get lucky and make one but I am not consistent at all. I rarely get birdies, mostly pars and bogeys, a few triple bogeys.

I have no clue what I am doing wrong
You just descibed my Golf Game

ts
Old 10-18-03, 11:33 AM
RVP

When you try to judge the putts remember that the cup is about 3" wide so if the say to aim 2 " left then aim at the lip of the cup. Visualize the 3" when you are trying to gauge the distance.

Also on long puts I always try to be consevative. Better to putt the ball close to the hole and two putt than give it a hard whack and have to three putt.
Old 10-18-03, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by RVP
Also on long puts I always try to be consevative. Better to putt the ball close to the hole and two putt than give it a hard whack and have to three putt.
Agreed. The new chip shot is often a good option in these situations.
Old 10-20-03, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have gotten a little better, but I still have no idea how to read the putting grid. Any tips?

Old 10-20-03, 07:00 AM

I figured out the squares on the grid to be 2 feet tall and 3 feet wide. Plus, as has already been mentioned, the hole itself is about 3 inches wide.
Old 10-20-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

thanks, i'll try that
Old 10-21-03, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

well I tried the suggestion, and my putting still sucks. Basically if the putt isn't straight into the hole, I miss it 9 out of 10 times. I don't understand how to spin the ball or what it is used for. I get bogeys every other hole. It's pathetic. I have no idea how to choose clubs, or what situations they are used for. If I could learn how to friggin putt this game would be alot of fun.

Any ideas to try and help me before this game gets traded in? No sense playing something you absolutley suck hardcore at.

Old 10-21-03, 09:33 AM
RVP

So do you have trouble with iron shots and putting? Or just putting? Also what is your putting stats at? Maybe you need to build these up. Or buy a new putter.

You are using caddy tips right? With the tips you should be able to just estimate the distances with the above mentioned methods and get it the hole with regularity.
Old 10-21-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

yes using tips....but not sure what the grid means. I am sure some people can read the grid with ease, but I just suck at it. I definitely don't make putts as often as I should. I go over par 75% of the time.
Old 10-21-03, 10:48 AM
RVP

What about your stats? How are they? This may be why the ball doesn't go where you want it to.
Old 10-21-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

trying to make putting high, it is at like 73% now
Old 10-21-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How are you missing? Short, long, to the side?

Here is how I putt, at around 73% with the best Nike putter (I bought it on sale )

I assumed the cup was 4", so to either edge it roughly 2", like it was stated above.

I first move the left or right direction a number of taps. Tap the control pad once and see if it move one or 2 inches. It changes for me. Lets assume you are getting 2" a tap. Move that direction 6 taps/foot, rounding the final number as necessary.

Then move the front/back direction. I usually get 4" per tap. For long I move that number of feet long. For short puts I move 1 foot less than suggested. If the caddy says 2' short, I aim 1' short.

With putting, you do not need a smooth back and forth on your stroke. Once you get your pointer aimed pull back and make sure the putter comes completly back. Then go completly forward. You could hold back for hours and move completly forward for a full stroke. DO NOT take half strokes, partial swings, or anything to try to adjust, you ball will go to where the pointer is and adjust power automatically. Let me know if this helps.
Old 10-22-03, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I usually miss left or right on the longer putts, mainly the sloped ones where the ball has the curve. I have gotten better, and everytime I want to take the game back, I turn it off, and come back in an hour or two and remember why I bought it. It's just too fun of a game. I'll try your advice, and let you know if it worked.

Old 10-22-03, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I've shot a 59 in a tournament. I think club selection is HUGE in this game. What i mean by that is I always seem to hit short. I've learned that you need more club. If you have 145 yards to go and your club only gives you 140, use power boost to get it that extra 5 yards. Another important factor is the level at which the hole is at. You need more club if the hole is higher than you are. Also, if you find yourself consistently hitting one way, move your aim away from that. So if you're constantly hitting left (which is what I do, but i've learned to hit straighter now), move the aim thing to the right.

I've gotten pretty good at putting. I can hit anything within 15 feet about 75% of the time. I pretty much do exactly what jon-w9 said. I move left and right first, then forward and backwards. As far as distance, i always try to error on the side of being too long.

I can't help you with the putting grid. I've never used it. Its there when I chip, but its pretty much worthless in my opinion.

As far as attributes go, make sure you up Power, Driving Accuracy and (most importantly) Hitting Accuracy (or whichever one gives you accuracy with your irons). Don't bother with anything else. Maybe move putting up a bit, but to start out, those first three were most important to me.

Keep in mind, i've only had the game for 2 weeks and I have probably only played about 20-30 hours, so there are probably a lot of little things I don't know about.
Old 10-22-03, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My best round was a 69, but it was all luck lol. I'll try to get my other stats up. What is the best way to earn fast cash? I have played in the world tour alot, which is fun