Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone remember Castlevania for Dreamcast?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-03, 06:04 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Anyone remember what happened to this game? I was reading an old EGM and saw screenshots for this game (right next to Croc as well). This game was slated early in the Dreamcast's life (as this particular issue reviews Blue Stinger and some early launcg games). Any info is appreciated.
Old 10-11-03, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.classicgaming.com/castlevania/cvres.htm

Pictures on the site as well and music or at least 1 mp3.

Originally intended to be a launch title for the Dreamcast in America, Castlevania: Resurrection was delayed until March, then until later that year. Finally, in March of 2000, Konami let the axe fall on Castlevania's foray onto Sega's new system. All that remains in this section is whatever info was available for the game was canned. But why was it cancelled?

Early indicators point towards the fact that the game wasn't shaping out very well, and perhaps Konami didn't want to screw over the franchise like it has with Contra. Another possible reason had to do with the fact that the game was being designed in America. From what I've been told, as the project went on, there was some internal struggle between Konami of American and Konami of Japan over this game.

A fully 3D game, the story was to be set in 1666 (the year of the great London fires, also convenient because of the triple sixes). The stars are Sonia Belmont, the "origin" of the Belmont power last seen in Castlevania Legends on the Gameboy, and Victor Belmont, a vampire killer from the 1800s that looks remarkably like Tim Curry. So how does that make sense? Simple - time travel. Apparently these two Belmonts were summoned to take care of the evil that a new Countess is trying to bring into the world.

Unlike the Nintendo 64 incarnations, the focus was not to be on exploration or platforming - rather, it's intended to be fully action oriented. They're aiming for the classic old-school Castlevania game that manifested itself perfectly in the PC Engine version of Dracula X. Though its said to have only five or six stages, they are supposed to be fairly long. The camera controls and aiming system is also said to be completly revamped.

While a playable version was apparently shown to the press, no one outside has played it and can comment on the Castlevania that never was. However, music in MP3 format was released by the developers, so you can at least hear what the game was supposed to sound like.
Old 10-11-03, 07:14 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Interesting. I wish they would have released this game, but oh well.

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-14-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I still have a movie of this game somewhere on my hard drive, looks pretty interesting, but not sure how it would have turned out.
Old 10-15-03, 04:49 PM

Yeah, if you look at the early issues of the Official DC magazine, there were so many great looking games that were supposed to come out but never did. Shoulda, woulda, coulda is the legacy of Dreamcast to me. I still love it though.