Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

KB deal not good on Videogames

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-03, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KB deal not good on Videogames

This is from CNN.com. Basically it says that the 30% sale at KB, which starts today, ISN'T good towards videogames.

KB Toys settles for a discount

Toy retailer gives 30% discount on 'qualifying products,' after allegations pricing was unclear.
October 7, 2003: 7:52 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - KB Toys said Tuesday that customers will receive a 30-percent discount on all "qualifying products" between Oct. 8 and Oct. 14, as part of a settlement in a class action lawsuit.

Judge Thomas P. Quinn of the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois approved the settlement on Oct. 1 after a KB customer filed a lawsuit accusing the toy retailer of deceptive pricing.

Clinton Krislov, the attorney representing the class, said the toy retailer manipulated consumers into thinking they were getting a discount by using a comparative or "reference" price, printed in black ink, and then crossed out in red ink.

The price in black, Krislov alleged, was not the prevailing market price for the product.

"It would look like everything was marked down, when in fact there's no certainty that you weren't just buying it for the regular price," Krislov told CNN/Money.

The retailer has agreed to change its pricing manners, said Krislov. But the toy retailer wouldn't discuss details of its new pricing method.

KB denied any wrongdoing and refused to further comment on the settlement.

But its spokesperson cautioned customers that the 30-percent discount excludes videogames and giftcards and will not be available online or at KB partnership stores at Sears.

KB Toys, one of the nation's largest toy retailers, has more than 1,300 stores nationwide. Discounts on toys are often offered by major retailers such as Toys R Us (TOY: Research, Estimates) and Amazon.com (AMZN: Research, Estimates).
Old 10-08-03, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Disappointing - but not like anyone is suprised. The one I visited last week had tons of older and new release games, but they weren't really a great deal even AFTER the 30% off.
Old 10-08-03, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which is funny since their video games are one of the biggest offenders of their "markdown" pricing.
Old 10-08-03, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
So basically they are getting off with a slap on the wrist. Most people don't know about the sale and its not on any items a lot of us buy.
Old 10-08-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this was already covered in the original thread.
Old 10-08-03, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks for the reminder though. i'm still going to head over tonight to take a look at some old fashioned stuff - like board games and wooden trains. man... those were the good old days.
Old 10-08-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah there's already a thread on this and someone found that video games weren't going to be discounted, but thanks for the news article confirmation.

Sucks but I guess I can't complain. I've been reading reports on the deal forums that some stores are actually marking UP stuff to full price. They just turned this into a publicity stunt.
Old 10-08-03, 08:37 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

yeah it does suck, but I did get three Simpsons playsets and a simpsons action figure for $30 :tu: