Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Kill Switch: Surprise of the year?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-03, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kill Switch: Surprise of the year?

Has anyone here played Kill Switch yet? The PS2 version of Soul Calibur contains a demo, and it's also on the latest Official PlayStation Magazine demo disc.

This game wasn't even a blip on my radar before yesterday, but when I actually played it...WOW! Now I have to have it. The graphics are great, the controls are excellent, and it has a perfect mix of action and stealth (tons of action and lots of things to duck behind for cover). Unlike, say, Splinter Cell, the stealth elements don't slow the game down at all - the action is blazing. To me, as cool as games like Splinter Cell are, they feel too slow - too much sneaking around, not enough action.

I can't believe how much I like Kill Switch. I think Namco may have the sleeper hit of the year on its hands.

Thoughts? Comments?
Old 10-05-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 171 Posts
How is it the SURPRISE of the year? It's the "Halo-Killer" and mentioned just about anywhere
Old 10-05-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by GatorDeb
How is it the SURPRISE of the year? It's the "Halo-Killer" and mentioned just about anywhere
Actually that's Killzone . Kill.Switch is a different game all together.

I played the demo in the new OPM. Not bad. I need a few more run throughs to get the hang of it though.
Old 10-05-03, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 171 Posts
Whoops
Old 10-05-03, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
Actually that's Killzone . Kill.Switch is a different game all together.
Easy mistake to make though, heh. OPM has "Killzone - Halo Killer" on the cover of the magazine, and until I read the article, I thought they were talking about Kill Switch (I didn't read the word after Kill too carefully).
Old 10-28-03, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I just saw a commercial, it looks pretty bad ass.
Old 10-28-03, 05:28 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So the controls are good? I read someone else saying that they felt the controls were bad. Guess we'll find out this week.
Old 10-28-03, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's not a surprise to me at all. I saw a preview of it on "X-Play" like 2 months ago and have been wanting the game ever since... I'm very glad to see that it delivers.
Old 10-28-03, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by Static Cling
So the controls are good? I read someone else saying that they felt the controls were bad. Guess we'll find out this week.
The controls are excellent. The people who are bitching seem to be from the "loves PC controls, hates console controls" crowd. There's no pleasing those types.
Old 10-28-03, 08:36 AM

I was gonna get the game at TRU this week but couldn't hold out until it's release date heh.

IGN reviewed it yesterday

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/456/456606p1.html

Score 8.0 (PS2)

Last paragraphs
Closing Comments
There's a lot to like about kill.switch. As it's one of those types of experiences that's easy to pick-up, difficult in all the right places, and oozes Hollywood atmosphere without sacrificing too many gameplay convictions. While we can't say that we approve of its particularly short-sided length and occasional camera problems, it's still one hell of a fun ride while it lasts; especially if for fans of military excursions like Freedom Fighters and Conflict: Desert Storm.

Ideally, the game may not have enough to warrant becoming a must-purchase title for gamers searching for long-term satisfaction. But for those of us looking for something a little less cookie-cutter in the shooting genre with a couple of hours to spare, then kill.switch is definitely attractive. Call it the "Ultimate Rental" or perhaps the "Ultimate Bargain Bin Pickup" when it lowers in price in a couple of months, kill.switch is at the very least worth your attention.

-- Jeremy Dunham

I'm still gonna pick it up but I think I'll wait for it to drop to $30 first.
Old 10-28-03, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was going to get it, until they said it only has about 5 hours of gameplay. I will just rent it instead.
Old 10-28-03, 09:57 AM
Suspended

After having played KS, I will stick with Crimson Skies as my surprise of the year.
Old 10-28-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw a commercial for it yesterday, first time I've ever heard of it, and it impressed. Looks like a for sure rental for me.
Old 10-28-03, 03:33 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by DaBargainHunta
The controls are excellent. The people who are bitching seem to be from the "loves PC controls, hates console controls" crowd. There's no pleasing those types.
Hey, I'm one of those types.
Old 10-29-03, 06:29 AM

Originally posted by Static Cling
Hey, I'm one of those types.
Sorry, Static Cling. It's just that some PC gamers go on and on about their precious keyboard and mouse for shooters (FPS, third person, etc.) while dismissing the controls on console shooters. To me, a good console shooter controls just fine. If done right, I've never had anything to complain about.
Old 10-29-03, 07:03 AM

Gamespot reviewed it.

Score 6.9 for both versions
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/k...tch/index.html

Last paragraph
In the end, you can't help but get the feeling that kill.switch is half a game. The mechanics for ducking and getting behind cover are well done, and all the aiming interfaces and other activities work great. Unfortunately, the game surrounding these mechanics is generic and short, at times feeling more like a demo than a finished retail product. While one could easily imagine a great sequel that uses these mechanics and has corrected the game's inherent problems, what Namco has delivered here is really only worth a rental.

By Jeff Gerstmann
Old 10-29-03, 07:53 PM
Admin Emeritus

Sorry, Static Cling. It's just that some PC gamers go on and on about their precious keyboard and mouse for shooters (FPS, third person, etc.) while dismissing the controls on console shooters. To me, a good console shooter controls just fine. If done right, I've never had anything to complain about.
I'm not denying that there are good console shooters out there, and even console shooters that control well. But they'll never control as precisely as a mouse-and-keyboard. If I had never known a m-and-k setup, then I wouldn't complain... but because I do know it, console shooter controls can be frustrating because I've known better.

Okay, moving on. This is a really fun game so far. You're just kind of dropped into the action without any real background on who you are or why you're doing what you're doing. The story evolves as you complete missions.

It controls very well, and taking advantage of the ample cover is easy. The options to blind-fire and blind-nade are great, and are as accurate as they should be, which is to say, they're not. You won't hit anyone peeking out from behind cover unless you're lucky. But when someone's in a wide open area or getting closer, you can maybe take them out with a spray-and-pray.

Graphics and sound are good... the weapon sounds have a nice bite to them, and the game takes good advantage of 5.1 sound. When you mess up and flashbang yourself, the screen whites out and all you hear is a ringing sound until you recover.

There are normal and hard difficulty levels, and normal is nice and challenging. I'm only part way through it, though, so I don't know how long it's going to take. But so far, it's been a good ride. Definitely worth a rental to people who like shooters.
Old 10-30-03, 06:00 PM

Okay, I'll admit that I'm not too experienced with PC shooters. However, I did download a demo of Undying (since Wal-Mart has the full version, together with Alice, for only $10). I quite honestly couldn't get the hang of the keyboard/mouse set-up. Does it just take time to acclimate to or does Undying just have lousy controls? Or am I just too used to the console way of doing things?

Anyway, getting back to the original topic... I picked up Kill Switch today. I haven't played it yet, but from what I did play in the demo, I imagine that I'm in for a real treat. I don't quite understand the low reviews in the magazines and on the websites. I think they went in expecting a Splinter Cell/MSG2 type of experience, but KS is NOTHING like that - it's adrenaline-pumping action, and that's why I love it.
Old 10-30-03, 06:41 PM

I'm pretty much in a minority here, but I prefer games that are short and sweet. I have too many games unfinished, and very limited time, so games like Kill.Switch and Max Payne 2 are what interest me. For the record, I like both pc and console controls
Old 10-30-03, 07:52 PM
Admin Emeritus

Okay, I'll admit that I'm not too experienced with PC shooters. However, I did download a demo of Undying (since Wal-Mart has the full version, together with Alice, for only $10). I quite honestly couldn't get the hang of the keyboard/mouse set-up. Does it just take time to acclimate to or does Undying just have lousy controls? Or am I just too used to the console way of doing things?
How long did you try? It took me a little while to get used to mouse-and-keyboard... like, a few days, I think. But once you get used to the concept, and you figure out a good key configuration that you like, then pretty much whatever FPS you pick up, you can remap the keys to your config. I've never played Undying, so I don't know if the demo has good controls. Try looking for Deus Ex or Half-Life... they're two great shooters that should be available for cheap. They're also the games I learned mouse-and-keyboard on. (Be sure not to get the "limited edition" of Deus Ex, though, because that's Eidos-speak for "demo.") Just give it some time... it was awkward for me with Kill.Switch and the console controller, but I know that on my third day, I was aiming a lot smoother than on the first day.

Speaking of, I beat the game. The sound continued to impress me... with my 5.1 system, I could hear my enemies bullets hitting the walls behind me and to the side of me. The game as a whole was a lot of fun, and it's also something that you can pick up and play for just a little while and enjoy, if you don't have a lot of time. It's not Metal Gear: Solid (thankfully, IMO) with super-long, convoluted cutscenes... it's a solid action game that's a tad on the short side. Which probably works in its favor... I think if it kept on going the way it was, the action might have gotten tiresome. In the end, it's definitely worth playing.