Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Viewtiful Joe(GC) review at IGN

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-03, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viewtiful Joe(GC) review at IGN,Gamespot review added

http://cube.ign.com/articles/452/452942p1.html
Score 9.5

I would imagine the Gamespot score to be around 9.1 or so since they have a tendency to score lower than IGN most of the time. Will add it when it is published.

Review is 4 pages I'm listing the last paragraphs only.

Closing Comments
It's really exciting to see what happens when a big publisher such as Capcom grants its star game designer, Hideki Kamiya of Resident Evil 2 fame, a blank check. Though Kamiya fans would never doubt his talents, even the creative mastermind himself once admitted to being nervous of the reception that his latest pet project, Viewtiful Joe, would receive by gamers. With its eccentric style and old-school gameplay, would gamers be hooked? Would they see past Joe's pink cape and realize that underneath lies a burger-eating, crime-fighting machine? Thankfully, we've already seen the successful sales numbers roll in during Joe's mid-summer Japanese launch, and now we finally get to see how the long-awaited American launch will fare.
I know I speak for many here at IGN when I say that I hope Viewtiful Joe sells through the roof here in the U.S. It's one of the most action-packed and genuinely entertaining games I've played in a long time on any system, and it certainly deserves to serve Capcom proud. If you're a fan of great action and side-scrolling beat-'em-ups, then run and get yourself a copy today while you still can. If for some reason you still don't own a GameCube, then don't let that be your excuse -- take advantage of the latest $99 price-point and get to know Joe, pronto.

It's hard to fault this game in any one particular area other than its slightly flat story, so don't even bother looking for another dull spot, 'cause most everything else has already been polished to perfection. Graphics, gameplay, lasting appeal -- you name it, and Viewtiful Joe nails everything that truly makes a game fun. If the intense challenge intimidates you, then good -- you could probably use a good ass kicking, anyway. I know I certainly did. Beating this game is a badge of honor to wear with pride, and you can bet that I'll be playing through Viewtiful Joe several more times to see if I'm still man enough to call myself a gamer.

-- Cory D. Lewis
Another Take by Matt Casamassina at the end of the review
Another Take
When Capcom first unveiled Viewtiful Joe I didn't know what to make of the title. When I saw new screens and movies flow out weeks and months later I remained intrigued, but confused. However, when I first played the game, it all came together. The simple truth is that VJ is one of the most kick-ass beat-'em-up style titles I've ever had the fortune to control. And speaking of control, once you've had the chance to play through a level or two of this game -- to slow time and to unleash wicked combos onto foes that break and snap into particle oblivion and to truly grasp how intuitively it's all sewn together -- you'll realize why we love Joe so much. VJ is just so polished, so fun -- you'll have a difficult time putting the controller down.
The game, as Cory noted, is also such a departure from the GTAs and Dooms that drown today's console libraries that you have to give Capcom credit for doing it. Here's hoping gamers like you go out and buy it so that publishers will make more original software like it.

One of GameCube's finest. GCN owners absolutely need to buy and own this one. And if you're not yet a GameCube owner, VJ is reason enough to become one.

-- Matt Casamassina

Gamespot review
http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/act...oe/review.html
Score 9.2

Will post last paragraph
But who cares? The bottom line is that Viewtiful Joe is a really impressive achievement. It manages to simultaneously recall the simpler times of 2D platforming action games while modernizing the genre in several major ways. It pulls off its stylized gameplay without compromising the rest of the game for the sake of a few flashy moves and ideas. It also has an incredible look to it and enough depth (and enough extras) to keep you playing after you've finished the game once through. In short, those looking for something new and exciting in action gaming should definitely add Viewtiful Joe to their collection.

By Jeff Gerstmann
I was .1 off

Last edited by Galanthas; 10-06-03 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-03-03, 04:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Wow, I didn't expect this title to get rated so high. Interesting.
Old 10-03-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
2-D is teh suckekeke!!!1!!1!!
Old 10-03-03, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by slop101
2-D is teh suckekeke!!!1!!1!!

The game has been getting good reviews even in Japan. Unfortunately it hasn't sold as well as expected partly because of Capcom only producing a low number of copies. Game Informer gave it a 9.5 as well I think. EGM I think was 8.5,8.5 and 9.0. Gamespot is the review I'm waiting on personally, I usually (99%) agree with their reviews of games that I have actually played.
Old 10-03-03, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sounds awesome! It's also consistant with the import reviews I've seen too, EGM gave it a high score too. They've got some crazy movies over at IGN that are really nice. edit: i should point out that the first set of movies are japanese commercials from the game, the gameplay movies are futher down the page.

Last edited by Outlaw; 10-03-03 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-03-03, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Viva la 2D Revolution!
Old 10-03-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mmconhea
Viva la 2D Revolution!
Old 10-03-03, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by mmconhea
Viva la 2D Revolution!
This is a great game. I played the demo to death. Can't believe Capcom had shortages in Japan. Guess they had no faith in the title. They should have made more Viewtiful Joes and less PN03s.
Old 10-03-03, 11:52 PM

This just makes me want the Mega-Man franshise to get the "Viewtiful Joe" treatment.

Can you imagine...
Old 10-04-03, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's tied with KOTOR for my personal Game of the Year so far. Yes kids, it's that_damn_good.
Old 10-04-03, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The game, as Cory noted, is also such a departure from the GTAs and Dooms that drown today's console libraries..
Old 10-05-03, 11:05 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

It is not often a company takes a chance making a game like this.
Old 10-05-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by Romero
It is not often a company takes a chance making a game like this.
Yeah, brings Jet Grind Radio to mind. That was innovation.
Old 10-05-03, 05:28 PM

Ok, have that free gamepro deal going, just read their take on the game.

Graphics - 5/5
Sound - 5/5
Control - 5/5
Fun Factor - 5/5
Old 10-05-03, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

GMR gives it a 9/10
Old 10-05-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Ok, have that free gamepro deal going, just read their take on the game.

Graphics - 5/5
Sound - 5/5
Control - 5/5
Fun Factor - 5/5
Wow they didn't say how the menu was too red and docked it a few point.

Hopefully all this attention will lead to good sales of a good innovative game.

These kind of games make me glad I own a GCN.
Old 10-05-03, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

EGM also gave the game a nice score:

8.5, 9.0, 8.5
Old 10-06-03, 05:19 PM

Gamespot review added.
Old 10-06-03, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This game was the only reason why I hesitated to sell my Cube before the price drop and the one of the only reasons why I'd consider getting one again.
Old 10-06-03, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Japanese magazine Famitsu, also gave the game a great score:

Famitsu (Japan) - 9, 8, 8, 9 (34 / 40)

Old 10-07-03, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tuan Jim
Yeah, brings Jet Grind Radio to mind. That was innovation.
Holy crap YES. Jet Grind Radio was the reason I bought a Dreamcast. Jet Set Radio Future was the reason I bought a Xbox.

In the lieu of the "Why Gaming Industry Sucks" threads I remember reading about Jet Grind in 2000 on IGN, and one think pissed me off beyond all things, they mentioned something like "The only thing that baffles us is how the kiosks for Jet Grind Radio were fairly empty yet there was a huge crowd to watch a game about fireworks on Sony's new PS2.".
Old 10-07-03, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by Galanthas
Gamespot review added.
Thats what I was waiting for, looks like a winner . Gamespot is usually tougher than IGN, and its not very often that they rate games over a 9.0. I'm glad to see this game live up to the hype. Now if only the week would end so I could get some time to go down to the store and buy this! .
Old 10-07-03, 11:54 AM
Retired

I'm going to give the demo another chance when I get home tonight after reading these glowing reviews.

I just haven't been able to get into it in previous trys. But I'll sit down and spend a good hour or so playing around with it tonight. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance before.
Old 10-07-03, 01:12 PM

Anyone get it yet? Bestbuy said they're not getting it till Thursday.... So I'm waiting
Old 10-07-03, 01:22 PM
Suspended

I'm curious to see the sales figures for this. Even with all the good press, I see it selling moderately at best upon release and fading fast. Maybe if kids mistake it for a Yugioh game...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.