Mario Kart Double Dash will include mario kart disc, not to be sold separately

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mario Kart Double Dash will include mario kart disc, not to be sold separately

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-03, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be HIGHLY unlikely that the bonus disc is included in the game case. That would create nasty complications with production and distribution of the game if you stop and think about it.
Old 09-28-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,890 Likes on 1,241 Posts
Originally posted by rayw69
It would be HIGHLY unlikely that the bonus disc is included in the game case. That would create nasty complications with production and distribution of the game if you stop and think about it.
While I admittedly haven't stopped and thought about it, how would it be any different from multidisc DVDs, PC games that span multiple CDs, compact discs with limited availability of bonus DVDs, or even some of the GameCube games that span multiple discs <small>(I don't own a GameCube quite yet, but didn't one of the Resident Evil titles come on two discs? I thought I read something about that)</small>? How would it affect production or distribution? Nintendo could just tack on the additional disc in the first pressing, and when that batch is gone, they go back to the single disc. Since the packaging wouldn't have to be any larger, I don't know how it would affect distribution either, aside from the fact that each case would be incrementally heavier.
Old 09-28-03, 03:43 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would affect distribution if it was limited, as they'd have to make 2 different packages for the game. One 2 disk one with the bonus disc, one normal bonus disk without.

That's what he's getting at. It would make more sense to have the disc seperate, or to simply included it in every copy, not just for preorders.

As for the other question above about how they will determine who preordered, it might be something were only stores that take preorders, and send the info to Nintendo will receive the bonus disc (and will only receive as many as they turned in pre-orders). In other words, it might not be availabe at all at Best Buy and the like.

I think that's fairly unlikely though. If it's just demos, I imagine it will simply be packed in with every copy of Mario Kart, regardless of whether it's a preorder or not. Afterall, they want as many people as possible to play the demos so they'll buy the games.
Old 09-28-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,890 Likes on 1,241 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
It would affect distribution if it was limited, as they'd have to make 2 different packages for the game. One 2 disk one with the bonus disc, one normal bonus disk without.
Again, not any different than what CD manufacturers do when they slide in a bonus DVD for the first pressing or two, or for those somewhat rare albums where the initial pressing has bonus tracks that don't appear on the final version. Hardly an insurmountable problem and certainly not one that hasn't been overcome dozens upon dozens of times.

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
That's what he's getting at. It would make more sense to have the disc seperate, or to simply included it in every copy, not just for preorders.
I wrote that post referencing the possibility that the first pressing <small>(or whatever)</small> would include the bonus disc, regardless of whether or not the purchaser pre-ordered.
Old 09-28-03, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It wouldn't be difficult to do. Nintendo has done similar things like this in the past. Specifically with Zelda Ocarina of Time on the N64. Those who preordered that game got the limited edition gold cartridges in a nice foil box, while those who didn't got plain grey cartridges in normal boxes.
Old 09-28-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wasn't the Zelda bonus disc included with the actual game in Europe?
Old 09-28-03, 04:13 PM
Retired

I was just explaining what he was getting at Ctyner, not saying I agree with him.

It is extra work, but like you said no big deal.

I really could care less if it's just some demos, that's not going to make me pre-order the game. Unless it has MK64, I'll wait for a price drop/deal as the game will be mostly fun in multiplayer and I dont' have any friends into non-sports games at the moment.
Old 09-28-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't see why there is any confusion. Here is the promotional material IGN posted back in August.

Old 09-28-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't you just love free games?
Old 09-28-03, 06:40 PM

I don't understand the whining... maybe it's because some of us have our promo hookups and like going to Best Buy and buying multiple copies of promo's for $5 for ebay purposes in the future. Plus, with all the Zelda bonus disc whining, it's always good to actually CALL the store you intend to pre-order at to ASK about such promotional items instead of listening to the rumor mill.

My 2 cents
Old 09-28-03, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Besides planetgamecube, is this confirmed anywhere else?
Old 09-28-03, 10:11 PM
Doctorwho

I wasnt saying it sucks that its a free game, that wasnt my point, it came out wrong.

But look at the Zelda disc now. It's hard to find and getting rare and more and more expensive. It turned into a collectors item.

If it was just included with the game like a memory card is with animal crossing and not only for the people who preorder it, like with zelda making it a collectors item, then I would think it was cool and great. but it sounds like they are making it for people who preorder like they did with zelda and then it will make this a collectors item also.

Am I making any sense?
Old 09-29-03, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

But that is the whole purpose of offering a "limited edition" item. To get as many "early adopters" as possible to purchase your item.
Old 09-29-03, 02:45 AM

Originally posted by Doctorwho

If it was just included with the game like a memory card is with animal crossing and not only for the people who preorder it, like with zelda making it a collectors item, then I would think it was cool and great. but it sounds like they are making it for people who preorder like they did with zelda and then it will make this a collectors item also.

Am I making any sense?
Why don't you just pre-order it then? Problem solved in one step. I still don't see what you are complaining about.
Old 09-29-03, 10:17 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Still not sure why people are whining about this. PRE-ORDER already! If your really want the disc, rather then complaining about the situation, just go down to EB or GameStop, and put a freakin $5 bill on the game that will aplly to the purchase of a game you were gonna get anywhere. Dont worry about possible sales the first week from Best Buy and Target, since none of them will go lower then MSRP on this title.

As far as making the bonus disc in the same packaging for the first pressing...isn't that unfair to those who pre-ordered? This is why these pre-order incentives should only be offered at videogame stores rather then big retail chains that have no knowledge on videogames (Best Buy selling thr Rebel strike diosc for $5, WalMart selling the Bonus disc for $10).
Old 09-29-03, 10:28 AM
Retired

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
Dont worry about possible sales the first week from Best Buy and Target, since none of them will go lower then MSRP on this title.
Not true. I can use the Gamers gift card coupon and get it for $44.99 at Best Buy. Not to mention a lot of times they offer $10 gift cards the first week of a big release.

So while they likely won't drop below MSRP, it will still be at least $5 cheaper than at the gamestores, and with the possibility of extra perks.
Old 10-02-03, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by edytwinky
Besides planetgamecube, is this confirmed anywhere else?
Not clear as to how the bonus disk is coming, but a liitle idea of what will be on the disk. Unfortunately no mention of Kart 64. Still any kind of a bonus is good for me.

Off Ebgames.com...
"Pre-order and receive a free bonus disc! This bonus disc comes loaded with several exciting game trailers plus 6 playable demos, and includes some very special unlockable content for the GBA hit, Fire Emblem!"
Old 10-07-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think the extra disc includes Mario Kart 64. I talked to my local sales people at EB and Toys R Us and they never heard a thing about it.
Old 10-07-03, 11:12 AM

Here you go boys and girls. I got the info from n-sider.com.

It was reported earlier this week that EBGames had updated their Mario Kart: Double Dash product page with information on the bonus disc that gamers will receive if they pre-order. Unfortunately, they were unable to give us details as to exactly what demos and features would be included, but now GameStop has provided us with that information.

The disc will contain the following:

5 mini games from Mario Party 5
F-Zero playable demo featuring Captain Falcon
Fire Emblem content that includes unlockable weapons, abilities and new music (requires Game Boy Advance, Fire Emblem game and GBA/GC Link Cable to unlock features)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles playable demo featuring Leonardo
Star Wars Rebel Strike III Hoth level playable demo
Sonic Heroes playable demo featuring 2 levels and 3 characters
7 all new movies
Not a bad deal. We still have no idea what games the seven movies will highlight, but it’s a safe bet most of them will be of upcoming game like Pikmin 2 and Metal Gear Solid.

Mario Kart: Double Dash will be available on November 17th, at which time you will be able to pick-up the bonus disc too.

Source: GameStop
Old 10-07-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank wildside, now I know that I don't need it and I can safely go about not supporting the pre-ordering system.
Old 10-07-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds great!

I was really looking forward to Mario Kart 64 but I can't complain
Old 10-07-03, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

sweet
Old 10-07-03, 11:46 AM
Retired

No interest in that demo disk, so no preorder for me. I'll wait and get it for X-mas.
Old 10-07-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts
Yep. I'll put it on the Christmas list. It would have been nice to get MK64 at time of pre-order to get you pumped for DD but some companies don't think like that.
Old 10-07-03, 12:18 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Free disc is a free disc. It really does suck considering all the demos on the disc besides Sonic Heroes would be games already released by the time Mario Kart DD is released.

Also, "Mario Kart: Double Dash will be available on November 17th, at which time you will be able to pick-up the bonus disc too. " So it WILL be a seperate disc. Wonderful.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.