Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PC vs. Console

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-03, 01:29 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PC vs. Console

Why waste your money on console games people?!! PC is the way to go and the wave of the future when playing games.

If you haven't noticed console games have just caught up a bit with PC games game play. In the last year or so console games applied mulitplayer capability onto their systems to allow people to play with others around the world. PC games have done that over a decade ago!

Even though console games may have better graphics today, the latest technology in producing similar or even better graphics for PCs is right now and can outdo any console game out there. The reason why there aren't so many PC games with these graphics is because game companies have decided not to apply their full resources on PC games presently but eventually, they will.

I suggest you all STICK to PC technology for it will RULE every consoles out there!
Old 09-26-03, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds alot like console bashing. How about posting a more constructive thread.
Old 09-26-03, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by edstein
Sounds alot like console bashing. How about posting a more constructive thread.
Well, he does have a point...

There's nothing more relaxing than coming home from a day at work sitting in front of a computer, and sprawling out on your comfortable home office chair in front of a computer to play games.... ahhhhh I feel like such a fool! *hurls PS2 against wall*

Two words... Living Room...

And, ho ho ho trolley billy goats gruff references etc...
Old 09-26-03, 02:11 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't see why people can't play both.

Why the rivalry?
Old 09-26-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Regurgitator, you are really living up to your name.
Old 09-26-03, 02:13 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Groucho
I don't see why people can't play both.

Why the rivalry?
I don't get the rivarly either. I don't play PC games, but it's not because of the rivalry. I simply don't like the types of games that the PC has as exclusives (mainly FPS, RTS, american RPG, MMORPGs and so on). I like Platformers, adventure/action RPG games like zelda, sports games, and japanese RPGs and the PC is pretty lacking in these genre's.

I also just have a hard time trying to relax and have fun at a computer after sitting at one all day at work.

But if someone has broader game tastes than I do, and doesn't have the work-related grudge against PCs, then there's certainly no reason to not enjoy gaming goodness on both.
Old 09-26-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

PC Well, to play the latest games with graphics that are close to or equivalent to Xbox, GC, or even the PS2 on a PC you need minimally a $1500.00 machine. Then you need a controller of some sort which would range anywhere from $20.00 to $100+, unless you want to play with a keyboard and mouse. Then the games themselves run $35.00 -$60.00 and usually are buggy as hell. Then you have compatibility issues with your hardware and software. Then you have to upgrade your components every 9 months. Then you have to sit a freaking desk to play a game!

Total cost = $1555 to sky's the limit.

Console At most $180.00 for any new machine that rivals or the PC's graphics power. Controller included, for a more natural interface with the game. $20.00 for a memory card. $50.00 for online access. $30-50 per game with NO compatibility issues (although some games do have some bugs). You sit on a couch or in your favorite recliner.

Total cost = $150 - $250

To me the choice is clear. I'm not bashing the PC as a platform, there are some awesome games that just wouldn't be good console titles. But for the most part, the consoles provides a better value and a more immersive experience, which is what I'm looking for in gaming.
Old 09-26-03, 02:35 PM

Well, to play the latest games with graphics that are close to or equivalent to Xbox, GC, or even the PS2 on a PC you need minimally a $1500.00 machine.
Old 09-26-03, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by jw2299
PC Well, to play the latest games with graphics that are close to or equivalent to Xbox, GC, or even the PS2 on a PC you need minimally a $1500.00 machine.
I don't want to argue one side or the other, but this statement is completely false.
Old 09-26-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will never consider myself a PC gamer simply because the only games I ever want to play for my PC are simulations and crack like Diablo 2. I don't PC game because I'm cheap and I don't want to go out and pick up a $200 video card just to play a game.
Old 09-26-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

1. There are tons of console games I want that won't come to the PC. Please try to convince me that I "waste" my money on those.

2. PC graphics always eventually reach and surpass console graphics. Then the next generation of consoles come out...
Old 09-26-03, 02:55 PM
Retired

I don't want to argue one side or the other, but this statement is completely false.
Unless he was talking about buying a pre-built machine. It is pretty tough to get a decent pre-built gaming machine (that will play the lastest games smooth) for under $1500.

You can certainly build one for less than that, but the average gamer probably doesn't have the know how (or any desire to learn) how to assemble their own gaming PC. They'd rather just buy a console or pre-built PC, hook it up and be ready to go.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 09-26-03 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-26-03, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Unless he was talking about buying a pre-build machine. It is pretty tough to get a decent pre-built gaming machine (that will play the lastest games smooth) for under $1500.
That's not what he said. He said that you can't get a machine that matches the graphics of the consoles for less than $1500.
Old 09-26-03, 03:15 PM
Retired

That's not what he said. He said that you can't get a machine that matches the graphics of the consoles for less than $1500.
Well, if it can't play the latest PC games smooth, it's not going to match the graphics of the consoles as the games will be plagued by slowdown and what not. That's what I was getting at.
Old 09-26-03, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Wait - when were console graphics ever better than PC graphics? I must've been out of town that day.
Old 09-26-03, 03:20 PM
Banned

actually, PC gaming is going down hill in a way because of the huge piracy going and thats why you see more console games from developers and with consoles going online, less developers will produce for the PC. Also, PC gaming still has the reputation of nerd like. Console gaming has got of that drout and sits well with the chicks. I heard people upgrade there rig just for HL2 or Doom3 and such other titles as Duex Ex 2, Theif 3 but its usually just for 1 game and what I hear most is that people only upgrading there rig for HL2. Also, you shouldnt even compare console gaming with PC gaming because there completely different.
Old 09-26-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Let's not forget that PC's have 100 times more uses than playing games. That $1500 dollars is buying a word processor, internet web browser, spreadsheets, photo editing, and lets not forget pr0n.
Old 09-26-03, 03:23 PM
Retired

Originally posted by lil beavis
actually, PC gaming is going down hill in a way because of the huge piracy...
Piracy is a huge problem for consoles as well, especially in asia.
Old 09-26-03, 03:25 PM
Retired

Let's not forget that PC's have 100 times more uses than playing games. That $1500 dollars is buying a word processor, internet web browser, spreadsheets, photo editing, and lets not forget pr0n.
Good point. I've always though comparing the total cost with consoles is lame for just that reason.

If you want to compare cost, go by video cards and other upgrades, and how often they need to be updated. I don't play PC games as I noted above, so I can make this argument. But I'd guess that to play the latest games smoothly, a video cards, ram etc. need updated more than once every five years (about the time one needs to buy a knew console). So it might be more costly, but still really only marginally so.
Old 09-26-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

to play all the latest console games, you gotta spend about 800-900 bux to get all consoles.
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: PC vs. Console

Originally posted by Regurgitator
I suggest you all STICK to PC technology for it will RULE every consoles out there!
PC Graphics:

Console Graphics:

Case closed; please lock thread.
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't PC game mainly due to the costs. I can easily pick up a console for the price of a video card and as indicated by others be guaranteed I can play any game that comes out for that specific console.

Also, with a new trend of backwards compatibility of next generation consoles with previous gens seemingly starting, there is even more incentive to stay on the console track.

Plus I don't have to deal with patches (although as more consoles go online, etc that may begin to occur more on consoles) and problems with drivers, etc.

With a console I have the option of playing a console on an already existing home theater system, in the comfort of the living room or hooking it up to a power inverter and a portable screen and playing in the car.

I can also turn my kids loose with a game without having to worry about them messing up my PC.

I can now easily take it to a System Link party as PC players do with LAN parties, etc.

Consoles are making great leaps with wireless controllers, online play, etc that arguably PCs have had for a while, but I guess because of that and the advancements in Home Theater, I'd think more people would be asking, why am I paying top $$$ for a gaming PC, when I can just buy a console that can do all of the above and that integrates into my HT?
Old 09-26-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Plus, you gotta buy a TV which is $150 - $12,000
Old 09-26-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

lets not forget pr0n.
Dude, can't argue with that... case closed.
Old 09-26-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah but I can do all that stuff on my several year old PC that is running Windows 98 or a new business class machine and buy a console for less than a high end PC.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.