Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Jade Empire: Bioware's Followup to KOTOR

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-03, 04:11 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Jade Empire: Bioware's Followup to KOTOR

This is all over the internet today. The games been in development for some time, but we finally have a name for the next Bioware RPG on the Xbox: Jade Empire.

Unfortunately, that's it for right now. More details will be coming in a couple weeks at the Tokyo Game Show.

As I understand it, this game will be coming to Xbox ONLY (and not to PC). They are also working on a new untitled PC RPG that has been announced as well.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/jad...s_6074908.html
Old 09-11-03, 04:16 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm guessing it will also be in the Star Wars universe?

Without the SW license, KOTOR would have been nothing special, probably a 7.0/10 for me as I wasn't crazy about the combat system and it was pretty glitchy. With the SW license (as I'm a big SW fan) it was a 9.5/10 and tied with Zelda as my current favorite game of 2003 (though SCII is threatening to pass them both the more I play).
Old 09-11-03, 04:38 PM

With that title, it's hard to tell. I know for sure that it's not a "Dungeons and Dragons" game, and I seriously doubt that it's a "Star Wars" game.

I imagine they'll use the Aurora engine again, and my best guess at the setting is Medieval China.
Old 09-11-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it doesn't look like star wars at all. chinese.

Old 09-11-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, those screenshots look really impressive..
Old 09-11-03, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks very nice. I will definitely give it a rent. KOTOR was the best RPG I've played in the last 5 years and I look forward to what's next from the developers.
Old 09-11-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts
A little more info on the game from TeamXbox:

Jade Empire ** UPDATE**
By: Cesar
09.10.2003 @ 08:43 PM

Bioware announced today the exclusive first-party Xbox game to be published by Microsoft: Jade Empire. More information about this action-RPG from the creators of Star Wars: KotOR will be revealed in Japan at the Tokyo Game Show on September 26.

Jade Empire is set in a ancient an mysterious land, where the Imperial China's tradition mixes with Mayan and Aztec architecture giving birth to a really impressive context. In this mystical world you'll be a young martial arts student, trying to gain the respect and admiration of your teacher and the townsfolk.

You'll have to set off in a long journey across the land that makes the world of Jade Empire, developing your skills and building a reputation that, like Fable, will precede you anywhere you go. You'll be able to be good or evil, changing the rest of your voyage through your actions.

Acting like wise warrior you'll bring honor and riches to your village and the combat school you chose, getting new habitants and others inspired by your journey. On the contrary, assuming a negative portfolio you'll be branded a bandit in your hometown.

At the same time that you develop your reputation, you'll be able to develop your fighting school. You will learn new skills during the game, and you'll be able to choose the ones that fit you better. The high customization of the skill system will be reflected even in the aesthetics of the combat, a mixture of street fighting, military training, magic arts, and martial arts that looks convincing and spectacular as if it was lifted from the mind of Yuen Wo Ping.

We'll have more on Jade Empire soon. Stay Tuned.
Old 09-14-03, 09:36 AM
Retired

Bah, I'll have to pass on it without the SW license. The gamplay in KOTOR was just so-so for me (don't like American style RPGs much).
Old 10-01-04, 11:18 AM

Looks like this one is due to arrive 11/1.

For the next 24 hours, Gamestop.com is offering free overnight shipping if you preorder Jade Empire (also some other Xbox games, and 2-day shipping on some PS2 games). Coupon code 1DSLTXBX:

http://www.gamestop.com/default.asp?sect=1224

If you prefer EBGames, I'm sure they'll match the deal in the next couple hours or so (they usually do).
Old 10-01-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sweet! i didn't think it was going to be released this year.
Old 10-01-04, 12:29 PM

I wouldn't put my money on it Groucho.

November release isn't likely. But taking advantage of that free overnight deal is a good idea.

http://jade.bioware.com/forums/viewt...84553&forum=79

The Bioware guys make funny comments.
Old 10-01-04, 12:32 PM

Thanks, Khai.

Disappointing news, but I can wait. There are plenty of games coming out between now and "1st Quarter 2005."
Old 10-01-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

damn you, groucho! i got all excited to get shenmue 3, i mean, jade empire.

(heh, no big deal )
Old 10-01-04, 12:42 PM
Suspended

Great news! JE feels more like a 2005 title anyway.

I'm buying a lean mean grilling machine in November, so my wallet couldn't really take the hit anyway.

to the later release date!
Old 10-01-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I'm guessing it will also be in the Star Wars universe?

Without the SW license, KOTOR would have been nothing special, probably a 7.0/10 for me as I wasn't crazy about the combat system and it was pretty glitchy. With the SW license (as I'm a big SW fan) it was a 9.5/10 and tied with Zelda as my current favorite game of 2003 (though SCII is threatening to pass them both the more I play).
Wow it gets 2.5 extra points just for the Star Wars lisence, no wonder developers make mediocre Star Wars games.

I think this looks interesting, and the story/atmosphere interest me more than a Star Wars game. Still haven't played KOTOR, but looking forward to playing both.
Old 10-01-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by msdmoney
Wow it gets 2.5 extra points just for the Star Wars lisence, no wonder developers make mediocre Star Wars games.
I don't think he meant that just jamming random gameplay into Star Wars clothing makes it a better game. Remember Masters of the Teras Kasi? That game sucked.

Atmosphere, though, is a different story. In fact, it's one of the most critical parts of any modern game. Imagine KOTOR without the looming threat, without lots of neat aliens wandering around, where Kashyyk is just ye randome jungle worlde, the droids are just information kiosks, and force powers are just generic spells. Same gameplay - but much more bland.

- David Stein