Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

"Classic" games on Gamecube

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-03, 04:18 PM
lurkr4vr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Classic" games on Gamecube

I did a search and didn't find anything. Are there any "old" 2D games like the original Mario's for the gamecube? Or would I have to buy a GBA player? Just curious. I don't play too much and find the easier 2D games more enjoyable.

THanks , MM
Old 09-04-03, 04:31 PM
Banned

You would have to get the GBA player. This is the thing tho, GBA games graphics are just as good as there old SNES counter-parts if you play the GBA games on the GBA sp but when you put in them in the GBA player and play them on the full screen, lots of its guality will be really cut down.
Old 09-04-03, 04:32 PM
lurkr4vr

So the GBA player can connect up to the TV and play full screen?
Old 09-04-03, 04:36 PM

originally posted by killabeez
You would have to get the GBA player. This is the thing tho, GBA games graphics are just as good as there old SNES counter-parts if you play the GBA games on the GBA sp but when you put in them in the GBA player and play them on the full screen, lots of its guality will be really cut down.
Not true. Super Mario World looks fine on my Gameboy player. Only difference compared to the original is that you have to scroll up sometimes to see things since the gba screen is smaller. Although Golden sun looks a little pixelated when using the full screen option on the GBA player.

All three castlevania games look tons better on a regular tv compared to a gba or gba sp.
Old 09-04-03, 04:37 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The GBA player connects to your Gamecube, which is connected to your TV. It's a great accessory, and is currently bundled for free with the Gamecube.
Old 09-04-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

when you put in them in the GBA player and play them on the full screen, lots of its guality will be really cut down.
Not true at all.
Old 09-04-03, 04:49 PM
lurkr4vr

I might have to pick up a GAmecube now instead of waiting for a price drop. I doubt they'd offer a free GBA with a $99 price.

Sounds like a fun toy. THanks.

MM
Old 09-04-03, 07:05 PM

The free GBA player/free game deal ended 8/31/03. For old classic NES games look into Animal Crossing. Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros, Punchout, Excitebike and Donkey Kong are a few of the games that can be played on your TV and some can be downloaded to your GBA provided you have a game-link cable. I have around 20 classic NES games in my Animal Crossing house.
Old 09-04-03, 07:37 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Kellehair
Not true at all.
Well, it depends what games but most games will loose lots of its guality compared to there SNES counter-parts but if you dont have a SNES and dont mind graphics drop, then you should be fine.
Old 09-04-03, 07:37 PM
lurkr4vr

Animal Crossing looks like such a boring game though.
Old 09-04-03, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by KillaBeez
Well, it depends what games but most games will loose lots of its guality compared to there SNES counter-parts but if you dont have a SNES and dont mind graphics drop, then you should be fine.
I haven't seen much of a drop, although it does not matter a lot to me. In any case, there are settings on the GBA Player to soften the picture, etc and full screen vs framed. I have not played with those extensively, but they are there. I have only played a few games on it, but looks good to me.
Old 09-04-03, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by MrMarketng
I managed to put a year of playing time into it. Its not for everyone, but it probably the got the most playing time of any game I bought on the Cube other than NCAA Basketball 2K3.
Old 09-04-03, 08:15 PM

How do you unlock these Nes games?
Old 09-04-03, 09:11 PM
lurkr4vr

And what exactly do you play in this game? I read a review or two and it doesn't seem like you DO anything.

MM
Old 09-04-03, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a SNES and the GBA games played on the GBA player look just like I remember the SNES games looking. There is no "graphics drop" -- at least there isn't for most games.

AC is a great game. There's a ton of stuff to do. I won't bother describing what you do because it doesn't sound fun, it just is. You gotta play it to understand it.

How do you unlock these Nes games?
You can trade people for them (you can either trade with your friends in person or you can trade via passwords with people over the net), you can receive them as rewards for helping out the townfolk, you can get them as gifts on your birthday or Christmas or whatever, etc.
Old 09-04-03, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
If you don't play Animal Crossing you're not going to be convinced it's a good game. You just have to play it to understand. I got about 4 months of daily play out of it before I got sick of it. However, I'm starting to feel the itch again. It really is MUCH more enjoyable if you have a few people to play with though so you can go to different towns and the like.