Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

I can't find Otogi ANYWHERE! (anti pre-order rant)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I can't find Otogi ANYWHERE! (anti pre-order rant)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-03, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by GizmoDVD
Otogi for $37.99? Are you SURE? This is a title by store pays $39.50 for, and for a Mom and Pop store to sell at such a los...yikes!
i got mine for $34.99. MSRP is $39.99 so i dont think your store pays 39.50 for it.

i havent seen it over 39.99 anywhere
Old 09-03-03, 05:21 AM
Banned

What's the point of even going to crummy shops like GS and EB?

It's not like they ever have good sales on new stuff. And from the looks of this thread, their employees suck ass too.
Old 09-03-03, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't stand game shops. The one near me actually charges MORE than the msrp. New games are often listed as $55 on release day. Now how is this looking out for the customer? Thank god for ebay. Since I sell my unwanted games there, I have no need to go to any overpriced, understocked game store ever again.
Old 09-03-03, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
"employees suck ass too."

I'll love to hear exactly how I "suck ass"

As for the anti-pre order rant...in the video game business, most games simply don't sell at a $50 price tag. My EB store still has about 20 copies of Resident Evil 0, Starfox Adventures, and Legends Of Wrestling for Gamecube. They take up a ton of space. Now considering a game like Otogi, which most people never heard of until recently, we are only going to receive about 2-3 copies because, more times then not, the game won't sell until the price is dropped a bit. That's just the way it is.

If you know it's not going to be a sure fire hit (like a Madden or Soul Calibur 2) just put $5 down on the game, and pick it up when you got a chance.

Dean

Last edited by DeanoBKN; 09-03-03 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-03-03, 08:57 AM

Sounds like EB and Gamestop don't want to have any inventory, they just want a Lemonade stand type store where they have nothing left at the end of the day. The whole preorder thing is stupid, if I know I want something for sure I'll buy it right off the website and save myself the gas to go back there and pick it up.

Circuit City is the best place to buy new releases, even though sometimes they are a day late on the release date. You get a 10 dollar gift card, add those up and you get a free game.
Old 09-03-03, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Originally posted by Dean Kousoulas
As for the anti-pre order rant...in the video game business, most games simply don't sell at a $50 price tag.
...although Otogi, the title that inspired this thread, doesn't have a $50 price tag. The question remains, though -- why can I go to Circuit City and find a number of copies of a comparatively obscure title like Otogi, but not at a store whose dedicated purpose is to sell video games?

I'm not the poster who made that 'suck' remark about employees, but I'm curious what the advantages would be for an average gamer to go to a store like Gamestop or EB Games vs. a place like Best Buy. I know the dedicated shops carry used games and get titles in a few days earlier, but other than that, I don't really see the appeal...unless used games/time is the extent of the appeal.
Old 09-03-03, 09:01 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
While CC does occasionally offer a $10 giftcard on prominate new releases, it's not like they offer the deal all the time. And I don't believe they had it for Otogi.

And Otogi has been $50 everywhere I've seen it.
Old 09-03-03, 09:04 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Groucho
While CC does occasionally offer a $10 giftcard on prominate new releases, it's not like they offer the deal all the time. And I don't believe they had it for Otogi.
...but admittedly they DO offer more sales than an EB or GS...and you can always get the $5 off at BB.

Still, if you're a game store JUST selling games, you better do a better job of stocking games than Circuit City or you lose any advantage you have over such stores.

FS
Old 09-03-03, 09:07 AM
Banned

I'm not sure where you're looking, but the MSRP is $40.

FS
Old 09-03-03, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Dunno if a handful of stores are mispricing it, but every e-tailer I've checked online lists the sticker price as $39.99.

Also, its entry on XBox.com also specifies a list price of $39.99.
Old 09-03-03, 09:17 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Okay, I only saw it on the shelf one place (CompUSA), and it was $50 there. Good thing I didn't pick it up.
Old 09-03-03, 03:16 PM

one advantage of a game shop like EB I can think of is that the employees tend to play and enjoy video games so they can offer some insight. I am always reading about the employees at BB who dont know a particular dvd title or video game and then try to push their extended warranty policy. At least we dont have to deal with that at EB as much

I dont usually shop at EB because I am cheap and usually wait until the price goes down. I did however preorder Ghost Recon from them (had dvd trade in value). I can understand why they dont stock as much because inventory ties up cash and nobody wants to have a ton of game only to eventually discount it in order to move it off shelves. Their distribution center needs a little revamping because they are using the preorders as an indicator to how much to ship. Perhaps they can use preorders and some input by store managers in order to gauge customer interest in a particular title better.
Old 09-03-03, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by boredsilly
I can't stand game shops. The one near me actually charges MORE than the msrp. New games are often listed as $55 on release day. Now how is this looking out for the customer? Thank god for ebay. Since I sell my unwanted games there, I have no need to go to any overpriced, understocked game store ever again.
i noticed that too. new game prices at my local gamestop are usually $54.99 and 44.99 used. i never go there anymore except for the buy 2 get 1 free deals for used games. Especially since there is a traget, best buy AND circuit city all within 1 parking lot from it.

Last edited by DVDKrayzie; 09-03-03 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-04-03, 11:21 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
$39.99 at BB, 34.99 after the coupon.
Old 09-05-03, 10:03 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Otogi is $39.99, my mistake. (Though it was at Toys R US for $50, along with Blinx and Lord of the Rings : Fellowship)

As for Gamestop overpricing $5, that really sucks. I beleive that only happens when they are the only videogame store in town. If there is an EB around, they will try and compete and lower there price.
Old 09-05-03, 10:46 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by FlashStash
Gizmo, any idea how many unnecessary pre-orders there were for Soul Calibur?

Well, I pre-ordered Soul Calibur 2 from Gamestop to get that nifty 90+ page art book...
Old 09-05-03, 01:06 PM
Suspended

Unnecessary? Everyone at my store who pre-ordered picked up (except one kid who got beaten up walking over and his money was stolen!). I can almost guarantee if knowone pre-ordered the title, we would have only received 6 for each console instead of the 20 we did (and we had 22 or so pre-orderes).

So if knowone pre-ordered we would have...
6 Cube
6 PS2
6 Xbox
That equals 18 total copies

We pre-ordered 22 copies (most for Cube). We received...
20 for Cube (10 pre-ordered)
20 for PS2 (5 pre-ordered, 2 changed there mind and got Cube instead
20 for Xbox(7 pre-ordered, 1 changed mind and got Cube instead)

Pre-ordering DOES Matter
Old 09-05-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah but Best Buy got 20 in of each and I'm sure nobody pre-ordered there.
Old 09-05-03, 02:22 PM
Banned

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Exactly...

The question wasn't...

"Was it necessary to pre-order so Gizmo's store's arcane ordering system could get enough copies for everyone?"

The question was...

"If I didn't pre-order at Gizmo's store, would I be screwed out of playing the game and getting a copy?"

Of course, the answer is no, the game was in many other stores with many copies, and is still everywhere. Gizmo, your store offers no advantage over BB/CC.

A pre-order that doews nothing to benefit the customer and only benefits the store, as in your example, is an unnecessary pre-order. Exactly what advantages does your store have over BB/CC?

FS
Old 09-05-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by PixyJunket
heh, I just got back from Best Buy after looking for the Rebel Strike demo, but I checked out Otogi and they had 14 copies marked $39.99. I must spend too much time on this forum because when I saw them i was thinking of this thread .
Old 09-05-03, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Outlaw
heh, I just got back from Best Buy after looking for the Rebel Strike demo, but I checked out Otogi and they had 14 copies marked $39.99. I must spend too much time on this forum because when I saw them i was thinking of this thread .

14 copies?! That's impressive. They must've gotten 100 pre-orders to receive that many copies.
Old 09-05-03, 04:20 PM

Unnecessary? Everyone at my store who pre-ordered picked up (except one kid who got beaten up walking over and his money was stolen!). I can almost guarantee if knowone pre-ordered the title, we would have only received 6 for each console instead of the 20 we did (and we had 22 or so pre-orderes).

So if knowone pre-ordered we would have...
6 Cube
6 PS2
6 Xbox
That equals 18 total copies

We pre-ordered 22 copies (most for Cube). We received...
20 for Cube (10 pre-ordered)
20 for PS2 (5 pre-ordered, 2 changed there mind and got Cube instead
20 for Xbox(7 pre-ordered, 1 changed mind and got Cube instead)

Pre-ordering DOES Matter

See now here's what I don't get. If no one pre-ordered you would've gotten 6 copies of Soul Calibur 2 for each system. Chances are all of em would've sold out, since this is one of this big title games, yet your store or whoever decides how many copies you get couldn't predict that a game like Soul Calibur 2 would've sold a lot more than that?

I understand that you don't want excessive inventory to just sit in the store collecting dust, but geez couldn't someone have predicted that this game would've sold a little more than that, or any other ones for that matter?

I find it hard to imagine that in a place where they are a couple of thousands of people living anywhere near these stores, they predict that the store only needs 2 copies of some games to meet demand...
Old 09-05-03, 04:22 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally posted by Outlaw
Off the topic, but did you find the Rebel Strike demo? I looked at the Reston store today and didn't find it.

Back on topic, I loved the Otogi demo and plan to buy it as soon as the price drops to 19.99.
Old 09-05-03, 06:38 PM
Suspended

Is the Rebel Strike Demo out? I was under the impression it wasn't until late Septemer..

6 Copies each is alot for my town. Were a small place, not that many people actually own videogame systems.

Oh, advantages over CC/Best Buy? Trade-In. We offer very good amounts for trading in games, more so if you bought the game from us. So if you bought Soul atr Best Buy for $50 and didn't like it, a videogame store might give you $20. If you bought it from us, $30 (which may not seem high to us as we all know where to find deals, but for kids and parents this is a good deal). We also gave away.... FREE SHIRTS for pre-ordering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome deal, eh? lol
Old 09-05-03, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Is the Rebel Strike Demo out? I was under the impression it wasn't until late Septemer..
They had it at the Best Buy in Rochester, MN for $5.00.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.