Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gameboy Advance SP vs. Gameboy Advance

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-03, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by GatorDeb
I have to agree with you. Maybe my wife is some kind of strange oddity, but she has never been controlling or demanding or any of the other stereotypes. My only worry about bringing along a Game Boy on a long trip is making sure she doesn't forget hers. If she does I have to share.
Old 08-22-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by DaBargainHunta
Hey, if you guys don't mind giving into your wives on every little thing, that's cool with me. IMO though, a relationship should be built on equal footing - none of this "wife makes demands, man automatically agrees" crap.
Again I say, clearly you are not married.
Old 08-22-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally posted by darkside
I have to agree with you. Maybe my wife is some kind of strange oddity, but she has never been controlling or demanding or any of the other stereotypes. My only worry about bringing along a Game Boy on a long trip is making sure she doesn't forget hers. If she does I have to share.
Wanna bet she's the one that ends up reminding you to take yours?
Old 08-22-03, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, so I guess it goes like this: Your wife orders you around, you accept it. No, I haven't answered the question about whether I'm married (my personal life is no one's business), but you guys haven't answered my question:

How is it logical or rational for a wife to demand that her husband cannot bring his GBA for an 11 hour flight?

Will you two talk for all 11 hours? No! Will she do other things besides talk to you? Yes! So why can't you have a GBA to keep you company when she's sleeping, reading, or whatever?

Can one of you please address all of that without telling me how wonderful your wife is. I'm sure she is, so no need to defend her to a bunch of strangers. Just please answer my question!

Thank you.

Last edited by DaBargainHunta; 08-22-03 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-22-03, 11:43 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
my personal life is no one's business
Yet you have no problem ridiculing others for what they do in theirs.
Old 08-22-03, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
Yet you have no problem ridiculing others for what they do in theirs.
Judging by your "Legend" status, you've been on this message board a long time, so you surely know how forums of this nature work.

If a person chooses to share personal information on a public forum, it's open season for anyone to comment. Don't bring it up and I won't have anything to say on the subject. I'm only reacting with my opinion on what someone else has posted for all of us to read, and I've been as respectful as possible about it.

Hardly a crime.
Old 08-22-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is it logical or rational for a wife to demand that her husband cannot bring his GBA for an 11 hour flight?
To answer your question... In most households there are things a man does that their wife will be pissed at them for. Such as: working too much and not spending enough time at home, watching football all day Sunday (the pregame, 1:00 game, 4:00 game and the 8:00pm game) while there are things to do around the house, spending too much time on the Internet, and playing too many video games. You see, woman want to feel like they are the most important thing in your life (which is true) and sometimes these extracurricular activities make them feel a bit unwanted. It seems like to them that you care more about the activities than you do about her.

Anyway, playing a gameboy advance would be fine on any flight but the fact that: a) this will be on a flight for our honeymoon and b) she is afraid that all I will do on the honeymoon will play video games (which is so not true). One might say that there is no way that one would be able to talk for 11 hours, which is true, but me reading a book is infinitely better than me playing GBA in her mind. Woman are sometimes irrational.
Old 08-22-03, 12:34 PM

Your wife orders you around, you accept it.
As witnessed by my purchase, I bought an extra GBA for myself, she may prefer that I don't play the GBA but I still will just like I will always sit on my ass on Sunday and watch the Giants.
Old 08-22-03, 12:51 PM

Neiname, thank you for your quick, friendly, well-thought-out reply. All I wanted was an answer to my question, which you just provided, so thank you.
Old 08-22-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

also, sometimes a woman might not want him to play GBA games on a 11-hour flight because it's the honeymoon, and it's a matter of principle that the wife be the #1 priority, especially on the honeymoon.

videogames have the potential to take up a lot of time, and that is in direct conflict with what a wife wants. she wants and needs to know that she is loved and needs to spend time with her husband for her to know that. words are not enough. all women are this way - they are much more emotionally needy than men and often do not think rationally as men do.

of course there are many downsides to men as well - such as less ability to work cooperatively compared to women, letting pride get in the way of better judgment, etc.

anyways, before I get too off topic. videogames and wives (or husbands for that matter) often do not mix well. that is why I intend to stay single for a long, long time. because I'm not prepared to sacrifice my needs for the needs of another. although those who are married will probably say something to the effect of "your needs will change over time to match the needs of your wife & eventually both of you will ultimately be more fulfilled". whatever. just give me my video games. haha.
Old 08-22-03, 01:49 PM

Wife's and video games do work. I got married 11/30/02 and went to Disneyworld for my honeymoon. Metroid Prime was 3/4 of the way done and I had to leave. I left my cube home but brought my GBA and Metroid Fusion along. She was cool with it and I managed to talk her into getting a Sony 46 inch widescreen when we came home (as a wedding present to each other) on the honeymoon. I came home and beat Met. Prime in prog. scan.
Since then I've bought two import SP's (she wanted one) and TONS of games. Ahhh...the married life.
Old 08-22-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My GBA was by my side in the waiting room at the hospital the other day while the wife was in surgery. She was aware of it and I even played some once I was with her in her room afterwards. (basically wanted me there for a while, but obviously not a time to be doing a lot of talking, etc)

She has her hobbies and I have mine which are completely different, although she did get interested in the GBA player when I hooked it up the other day and popped in her vintage original GameBoy Tetris cartridge and commenced to playing it on the TV I think she picked up the wavebird while I wasn't looking and put in some time on that.
Old 08-22-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Women see videogames as a competion for their attention - that is why they are so adverse to us playing them and not as opposed to, say, reading a magazine.

True or not, that is just how they feel (in general).
Old 08-23-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Okay, so I guess it goes like this: Your wife orders you around, you accept it. No, I haven't answered the question about whether I'm married (my personal life is no one's business), but you guys haven't answered my question:

See, your problem is that you think women are rationale! That's your first mistake!

Marriage is all about compromise. By that I mean that the husband compromises everything he wants in favor of what the wife wants, and in return she doesn't divorce him.

That's the real way that marriage works. There is nothing logical or rationale about it.
Old 08-23-03, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
You people are actually getting married/are married? No offense, but this sounds like a discussion a bunch of middle schoolers would have about women.

Dude, if you want to play a game or read a book on a plane, who gives a ****? If the 'wife' is going to forbid you from doing something you want to do and have been doing since the relationship started, then you should DTB. And likewise, if you are going to play video games during the entire honeymoon (which seems unlikely, but whatever), she should dump you.

It also seems to me that anyone who answers with "you obviously aren't married" to someone talking about how a husband and wife should get along, make decisions together, and that one should not be controlled by the other has a really sad, sad marriage. Again, no offense. If you were just trying to be humorous then nevermind. But if that's really what your marriage is like, I recommend you get a divorce and start dating some younger women who won't tell you what to do.
Old 08-23-03, 07:36 PM

What annoys me more than anything is when people say "THE WIFE"..

It sounds like you don't love her or appreciate her at all

"MY WIFE"

or "FIRST NAME GOES HERE"

or "SWEETIE"

or "DARLING"

Nyan, married and so lacking love, = (
Old 08-23-03, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by ben12
You people are actually getting married/are married? No offense, but this sounds like a discussion a bunch of middle schoolers would have about women.

Dude, if you want to play a game or read a book on a plane, who gives a ****? If the 'wife' is going to forbid you from doing something you want to do and have been doing since the relationship started, then you should DTB. And likewise, if you are going to play video games during the entire honeymoon (which seems unlikely, but whatever), she should dump you.

It also seems to me that anyone who answers with "you obviously aren't married" to someone talking about how a husband and wife should get along, make decisions together, and that one should not be controlled by the other has a really sad, sad marriage. Again, no offense. If you were just trying to be humorous then nevermind. But if that's really what your marriage is like, I recommend you get a divorce and start dating some younger women who won't tell you what to do.
You obviously are not married
Old 08-23-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

[threadhijackkiller]Who cares about people's relationship with their wives or how their wives treat them if they play video games or if they're lacking love.

This is the Video Game Forum, not the How "I Think" Married Life Should Be Forum. [/threadhijackkiller]

Back on topic, Get an SP, and don't forget to try out Wario Ware neiname.
Old 08-23-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by sararekuforever

"MY WIFE"

or "SWEETIE"

or "DARLING"

I know, I just use "The Old Lady" or "The O" for short
Old 08-23-03, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ben12

I'm serving my tenth year (actually been together much longer, but married ten ...and yeah, I know if I had just whacked her I'd be half done with my 20 year sentence by now) and I try to take her feelings into consideration, but there are basically 2 endings to any problem where I stand my ground... either she'll get over it or she'll leave.

So go for it, buy the GBA SP and kick it into high gear. Also, Metroid Fusion has the ability to put it into sleep mode, so if she starts yammering for a while and you are not near a save point, just kick it into sleep mode, conserve the battery and pick back up when she gets tired of yacking.

By the way I got a special mailing from Nintendo today for a Final Fantasy GBA game, and apparently there is a special set of headphones for the GBA SP that you can use without the headphone adapter, sp get a pair of those and really filter her out.

Exclusive Game Boy Advance SP Stereo Headphones - No adapter necessary!

http://www.nintendopower.com/fftabundle/

Last edited by sniper308; 08-23-03 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-23-03, 08:53 PM
Banned

Originally posted by sararekuforever

"MY WIFE"

or "SWEETIE"

or "DARLING"

Or like Sarah, "The Whore"

Last edited by evenflow; 08-23-03 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-23-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by evenflow
Or like Sarah, "The Whore"
Uhm, am I the only one that didn't think this was called for?
Old 08-23-03, 09:30 PM

So....how 'bout them GameBoys?

I like 'em.
Old 08-23-03, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by NoirTech
So....how 'bout them GameBoys?

I like 'em.
Old 08-23-03, 09:47 PM
Banned

Originally posted by GatorDeb
Uhm, am I the only one that didn't think this was called for?
Fixed it!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.