Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS2 Media Player?

Old 08-04-03, 02:06 PM

PS2 Media Player?

Does anybody have any info on this thing? It's supposed to let you play mpeg-2, divx and mp3's off your pc. Anything I can find about says it was supposed to ship in mid-June, but I can't find it for sale. It is from Gameshark. Anybody know anything?
Old 08-04-03, 02:38 PM

Yes, it's been available for quite a while as Qcast by Broadq (they made an arrangement with Gameshark to put it on shelves and whatnot a few months back, but still haven't done it yet). I've had it for probably 6 months or so. Results are pretty good, with some negatives.

First off, yes, it does play divx/xvid, mp3, VCD, and displays photos. It theoretically decodes MPEG-2, but can't handle 480x480 resolution, so it's useless for SVCDs (or DVD VOBs or any other high quality mpeg2 file).

For VCDs, it works great. Plays fine with no stuttering. I'm a beta tester so I have the version of the program that lets you fast forward and reverse (before these were unavailable).

For divx/xvid files. It can work great, but at other times it's unuseable. It all depends on the resolution of the file. It uses the PS2 itself to decode the file, so it isn't able to handle really high quality files. Some divx stuff plays perfectly and looks excellent. Other ones look excellent for a few seconds, but then it turns into a slideshow and plays at 1fps. The support forums are helpful, but they'll basically just tell you to re-encode these higher resolution files. That's fine for some people, but I don't have the patience to do that for 50% of files that I download. The other big downer for me is that it doesn't support external subtitle files (such as .SRT, .SUB, etc). So if you want to watch something with these you will not see the subtitles. It doesn't seem like it would take a huge amount of development to support these, but I don't think they plan on doing it (I asked them a few times over the past several months).

I may make that sound a little negative, but in general it's been great. I'd pay $50 to get to watch things on TV instead of in front of a computer. That said, if you want one with the intent of downloading and watching tons of movies, beware that many will be unwatchable without re-encoding them.

There's a free Xbox media player that requires a modchip (or another workaround) that supposedly works quite a bit better. If you have access to that, I'd suggest going with it. Otherwise this Qcast thing isn't too bad if you've got $50 lying around.
Old 08-05-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This may sound like a dumb question, but how do you get the files from your PC to the PS2. I assume you would have to see the PS2 on your PC as drive of some sort. I have my PS2 hooked up to a router and am able to go on-line, but I can't find the PS2 on my PC. Thanks.
Old 08-05-03, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by bahgee
This may sound like a dumb question, but how do you get the files from your PC to the PS2. I assume you would have to see the PS2 on your PC as drive of some sort. I have my PS2 hooked up to a router and am able to go on-line, but I can't find the PS2 on my PC. Thanks.
Most likely you burn them onto a cd or dvd and watch them.
Old 08-05-03, 04:44 PM

I can clear some things up here. I have the Qcast tuner and it works by installing software on your pc and networking your pc to your ps2. You tell the pc software which folders you want to share and then run the ps2 disc and it connects to your pc through the network adapter and streams the audio or video.

It works pretty well and I am very happy I made the purchase. But, I should repeat what has been said before - some things don't always play correctly.

check out their site:
http://www.broadq.com/