Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Questions about NCAA 2004 dynasty mode.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
blanket recruit.
Recruit the blue chippers that are interested in your team. Depth can never hurt. Then go for the positions where you need help. I usually go after the guys that are "Very High" then "High" then if I need to fill a position badly then I go after the highest ranked player in that position who has average interest in my team.

Recruiting is somewhat of a crap shoot. B2K, develop your own method to recruiting but when in doubt go after the blue chippers but don't forget about your needs. You don't want to end up with a walk-on as one of your starters.
Old 08-07-03, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by fujishig
Personally, I'm going to need to up the difficulty... my #1 ranked Trojans beat the NCAA record for points by blowing out Cal 114 - 0 (mostly because their special teams stunk, and Mike Williams averaged around 40 yards each punt return).

About the averages... I think unless you play really long quarters, your offense will start to lag behind the rest. The running game is pretty easy to control, especially if you can occasionally break out huge runs. But my quarterback will never have enough passes to be considered for the QB awards. The only way I can have my WR compete is if I throw to him almost every single time.

Anyone have any success getting a defensive player nominated for the Heisman? It's even harder than in real life!
My CB won the heisman this year, but I play 8 min quarters(He had something like 115 tackles, 100 for a loss and about 95 sacks...he is the guy I use exclusively as a pass rusher, thus the very bloated numbers). I have found that length to be a bit more accurate offensively as well as defensively(everyone on defense except for my main guy match up pretty well statistically against everyone else). I however am not pass happy and I try to mix up the plays and play like a real game. Even at 8 mins I still have a hard time breaking 400 yards passing and running...although the games run long and my seasons take a long time. I am playing with A&M so my running game kind of sucks and McNeal got injured midway through the season so I had to change from an option game to a pocket passing game, which really made the game a lot more interesting.
Old 08-07-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When recruiting, do you show high interest in all the guys you want right up front? Last year's version was the first I attempted recruiting and I went after a few blue chips. It wasn't until half way through the recruiting that I started showing interest in other guys, which made me lose some potential players.
Old 08-07-03, 04:47 PM

I went for all of the blue chips that showed high interest in me(primarily the ones that I needed to fill future voids...didnt waste any recruiting on a qb or rb since I was going to be fine for 2 seasons...defense needed real help) and just went ultra heavy guns on those. Once I ran out of recruiting points I would then look for 4/5 star players that showed interest, were close by and currently only looking at schools that werent close or players that were interested in either poor schools or my rivals(Texas). Once I have all of these selected I just keep recruiting them heavily until they commit somewhere. Once they commit I move on to someone else that I need. This worked pretty well for me using an A&M team that finished around 12 or so I think. I ended up with the #4 recruiting class with a lot of blue chips...I imagine a team with higher prestige and a better season outcome would do even better...This however was my first attempt at recruiting using EA's, so I am by no means an expert. It definately makes it a lot easier and more bearable that they will commit mid-way through the recruiting season.

The Sega one was so frustrating because noone would commit until the end and you would think you have a really good class ready to commit going into the last week and then all of the sudden your actual recruiting class looks nothing like what it was the week before with no explanation.
Old 08-07-03, 04:48 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by jbrotheim
i think someone asked a similar question, but anyone know how the quarter length affects the dynasty.. I typically play 3 minute quarters.. My games usually end up in the 20-30 point range.. As a result, my offense is ranked very low in the standings, but my defense is good as well.. Will this affect adversly in the polls or in recruiting? Also, i assume it does affect the heisman race
I have the same problem. I end the season with the #1 rated defense but near the bottom for my offense. THen what happens is all the blue chip defense players want to come play for you, but you can't bribe a decent offensive player to come. It started a downward spiral for my team and after 3 years my defense was stocked but the offense was less than impressive. I took a job with another team to start over and see if I can't change that..

Good luck

DAC

also here is a good forum to find out hints and such - NCAA Utopia Forum
Old 08-07-03, 05:17 PM

I love the fact that you are able to try and convince your Leaving Players to stay. Was able to convince my top 3 Juniors to stick around. I've upped the AI playability to about 75% over 50% last season. I figure I'm gonna mix it up more this year, provided I have a decent HB/FB. Last season (bishop for you) I did so well passing was because by HB sucked.. I mean big time. I created a school and he just blew. So although my QB is back, I'm hoping that the running game will be substancial. As for recruiting, I go for Blue Chip Players in positions I need first that like my school. Then go for Blue Chip Players that like my school I don't need.. and so on. Ended up 3rd best class this draft. Not too bad.
Old 08-08-03, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I ended up with the second best recruiting class, but sadly my backup FB and backup C were both walkons. That's never good if I get the injury bug again.

I got mostly defensive help since my team was #1 in D (lots of interest coming in) so next season I'll hammer out some better offensive deals.

Has anyone figured out which works best: pitching prestige, coaching style, location, or playing time? I tried them all, and it was sort of random.

By the way, in the Rose Bowl game, I threw one interception and had 4 fumbles. Those were the first fumbles of the season. Plus, my QB got injured. Hahaha, what a game.
Old 08-08-03, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a question, and it probably has been answered before. How do I stop my little-brother-in-law from playing cheap?

What I mean is he uses U of M and fades back with Navarre and then throws a bomb to WR #1 who always catches in triple coverage. I tried nickle, dime, zone and man covereage, and it doesn't help. Should I focus more on rushing the QB instead of defending the pass? Thanks.
Old 08-08-03, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try taking control of one of your defensive linemen. Shift the line to that side prior to the snap (PS2 - R1 then right on the D-Pad). At the snap, sprint straight down then let go of the sprint button and move to the QB. He shouldn't have time to get a good pass off. At the very least, you should force some bad throws.

It's kind of cheesy, but you gotta fight fire with fire. I need to bump up the computer's pass blocking slider and/or quit doing this so much. I had 5 sacks with David Pollack last night in the Rose Bowl. Fun, but not too realistic.
Old 08-08-03, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jon-w9
I have a question, and it probably has been answered before. How do I stop my little-brother-in-law from playing cheap?

What I mean is he uses U of M and fades back with Navarre and then throws a bomb to WR #1 who always catches in triple coverage. I tried nickle, dime, zone and man covereage, and it doesn't help. Should I focus more on rushing the QB instead of defending the pass? Thanks.
I would suggest a zone defense (the ones with all the yellow bubbles) where one of the linebackers is not assigned to cover a zone (he'll be a blue dot). I would then take control of the guy, and depending on which way your brother usually rolls out, just sit the guy right there. Once he hikes the ball, go to the spot where he's usually at and whack him. Now if your brother is smart he may begin to call a draw play in which not having that linebacker there might be a problem. But if your brother was smart he would be using the same cheesy play everytime either.
Old 08-08-03, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some observations:

1. I've noticed that 7 minute quarter lengths usually provide pretty accurate yardage totals.

2. As far as recruiting, I've also noticed that if your RB or WR don't get a lot of yards (or catches) it makes it more difficult to recruite those positions. The first few years of my dynasty (now on year 11), I couldn't really move the ball very well since, well you know, my team sucked. At the end of the season, I was recruiting really well on the defensive end, which was a powerhouse, but not for QBs, WRs, or HBs. The first season I had a 1,000 yard reciever, I had several blue chip prospects at this position.

3. I would suggest that if you're planning to go long term with the dynasty, you should actually play all the games the first few seasons, especially if you are playing with a weak team. You recieve recruiting points for every victory and if the computer isn't giving you any love (winning games for you), then you will have less points to use for recruiting.

4. Your first recruiting classes should be used to get the best players you can get at ANY position, and then fill needs. The University of Houston is a weak sister. Usually a three star player will be better than anyone on the current roster. Expect to have any three (four or five) star recruits start for you if you get any during your first few recruiting classes. They will usually be better than the guys already there.

5. Don't be afraid to tweak your depth order. That number assigned to each player is not always the best indicator of who the real players are. I'm not sure if EA Sports actually works this into the game or what, but I've had a few seasons where the best performer at a position was actually the third string guy. If someone isn't getting the job done, try someone else. Also when you get deeper into the dynasty and you're recruiting really well, make sure you have the best guy available to play a position, even if its not his. I had two senior FS this year, both rated 99. I had lost most of my CBs to graduation (and one guy left as a junior). Well I was left with two CBs, both redshirted freshman. My FS was rated much higher than both, but was third on the depth chart because he wasn't a CB.

Hope this helps someone out there.
Old 08-08-03, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Anyone know what the difference is with "recruiting help" turned on or off? I always have it on...

As for how to pitch to certain players... EAs system is amazingly in depth. After each week of recruiting, you can see how recruits are doing in their workouts, etc. (people may be shorter than you thought, or not as strong or fast, or have a lot of potential). If you tried to recruit them with, say, program prestige, it'll tell you whether their interested or not in what you have to say (he could care less about program prestige, or he's very interested in a highly ranked program). If he's not interested in what you're pitching, change it the next week. All this info can be garnered by pressing the "select" button on a recruit (for PS2 version, at least).

If you want to "cheat" you can also save right before the first step of recruiting... convincing players to stay. Sometimes you'll get 5 or 6 players wanting to leave early, but if you reset it, you might only get one or two. Also, it may be easier to convince them to stay... my WR won the heisman in his sophomore year, but a call from the assistant coach was all it took to make him stay.

I'm using USC, which I think is 5 star in program prestige, plus we won the national championship the first year, so recruiting has been top of the class so far. But, realistically, Eastern Illinois University isn't going to get the blue chip recruits even if the coach visits them every day. Also you only have a set number of roster spots (and less once the season starts), so you can't show nominal interest in a ton of players all at once, you're limited to the max.

What I do is heavily recruit those that are already interested... I know it seems like you can save recruiting points by just having your assistant coach call them, but you want to wrap up as many as you can the first couple of weeks, so you can spend the points elsewhere once they're recruited. Just don't put all your eggs in one basket... even though the players are ranked, you have no idea how they'll turn out, so a lower ranked five star player that shows more interest in your school and is closer/cheaper to visit may be a better bet than going after the top ranked player who shows nominal interest. Or go after both, and just take the one who signs first, then ditch the other, unless you really need depth.
Old 08-08-03, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i'm really having a great time playing this game and i'm not a big college football guy
Old 08-08-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
If your brother is always using the same play passing to the exact same guy, then double team the reciever or control a secondary defender and get to the ball first (you should be able to figure out what the recievers path will be). It also depends on what team your using... some cornerbacks and safetys are very, very poor at man to man...

If that still doesn't work, i would check the AI sliders and make sure he hasn't stacked the deck in his favor beforehand...
Old 08-08-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by fujishig
If your brother is always using the same play passing to the exact same guy, then double team the reciever or control a secondary defender and get to the ball first (you should be able to figure out what the recievers path will be). It also depends on what team your using... some cornerbacks and safetys are very, very poor at man to man...

If that still doesn't work, i would check the AI sliders and make sure he hasn't stacked the deck in his favor beforehand...
I don't believe it is the same play. I was Florida State so I believe the DB's were OK. He just takes the snap (usually shotgun) and rolls opposite the pressure and throws it up as the linemen converge on the QB. I will try sending the line in from the WR's side and control the LB from the opposite side and see if I can get anywhere. As for the sliders, I didn't check but it could be.
Old 08-08-03, 04:03 PM

Is there anyway to play a Dynasty with just 1AA schools? I know you can add them in, but when you do they become part of a conference. I took out all of the ACC and put in all of the Southern Conference but they were still called the ACC. Does anybody know or care?
Old 08-10-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Finch03
Is there anyway to play a Dynasty with just 1AA schools? I know you can add them in, but when you do they become part of a conference. I took out all of the ACC and put in all of the Southern Conference but they were still called the ACC. Does anybody know or care?
AFAIK, no. You can put a specific 1-AA team in, but you can't play a whole dynasty with only 1-AA teams (especially since not all of Division 1-AA is in the game)

My question for the day, after getting done with an absolute classic: What's everyone's highest game score (for greatest games?)

I just finished a game with a 1550 Greatest Game Score (Marshall vs NC State ... NCSU took a 14-0 lead, Marshall with 31 unanswered (31-14), NCSU with 28 unanswered (31-42), Marshall with 19 unanswered (50-42), NCSU with a TD with no time remaining and the two point conversion (50-50), traded TDs in the first OT (57-57), NCSU FG in the second OT (57-60), Marshall TD to win it in the second OT (63-60))
Old 08-11-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is there any possibility the computer sets up a loss for you? I outgained CU (while using CSU) nearly 400 yards to 98. I missed two field goals, was intercepted twice in the endzone (one was returned 99 yards for a TD), lost two fumbles, and lost the game 10-2.

The reason I ask is that it seems when I try for a fourth down attempt when a "real" team probably wouldn't, the computer puts up a better fight than it normally would. This happens quite often.
Old 08-11-03, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My greatest game earned a 901 Greatest Game Score. Wasn't even a good game. I think it was 41-28, CSU over BYU. Personally, I think the CU (see above) game was better.
Old 08-11-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

played in the sugar bowl.. game went back and forth and was tied with 3 seconds left.. computer misses a field goal to go into overtime.. first round of overtime, each score a TD.. second OT, comp scores a TD and I need to match with a TD.. with 4th down, I throw an interception which the comp runs back for a TD.. wasn't even considered a great game
Old 08-11-03, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by bishop2knight
Is there any possibility the computer sets up a loss for you? I outgained CU (while using CSU) nearly 400 yards to 98. I missed two field goals, was intercepted twice in the endzone (one was returned 99 yards for a TD), lost two fumbles, and lost the game 10-2.

The reason I ask is that it seems when I try for a fourth down attempt when a "real" team probably wouldn't, the computer puts up a better fight than it normally would. This happens quite often.
I would be inclined to say no because of the following that I have seen:

1> I have had numerous times where I have been able to come back from being down in the 4th quarter or at any point in the game.
2> In games that I have had like yours(where I severely out gain them and still lose) I can still find reasons why I screwed up, not the computer cheating. At 10-2 and 400 yards compared to 98, it sounds like you just couldnt finish...this is a problem I have from time to time and a problem that many teams in real life have. I gain all over the place and then I get desperate and throw a stupid pass and it gets picked off and he scores the game winner...low scoring games are almost all like that in real life(see most of Ohio States games last year).
3> Compared to last season where the computer would come back down 21+ points in the fourth quarter rather frequently I would say that victories are not engineered like that in this version.
4> Going for it on 4th down should be a risk. Chalk it up to poor ball management and play calling and accept responsibility for it If you were expected to get your 4th down everytime, then why is there even the option to punt or kick?

Sounds like you had a good game though and a real heartbreaker...that is what college football is all about...Bring it on!
Old 08-11-03, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jbrotheim
played in the sugar bowl.. game went back and forth and was tied with 3 seconds left.. computer misses a field goal to go into overtime.. first round of overtime, each score a TD.. second OT, comp scores a TD and I need to match with a TD.. with 4th down, I throw an interception which the comp runs back for a TD.. wasn't even considered a great game
That's a travesty.

Ween, how right you are!
Old 08-14-03, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Okay, so I keep winning (sometimes barely, sometimes by huge margins) but mostly it's because of my awesome defense. Even at 7 minute quarters, I'm struggling to get over 300 yards of offense.

This last offseason, I tried with many many points to get offensive studs, and no one would bite. Not a single one.

So, how the hell do I get some offense in the coming seasons?
Old 08-14-03, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

B2K: Sounds like your offense problem is bigger than I thought. First smallball and now NCAA 2004. Maybe video games just aren't your thing.

Seriously, what you should do is drop down a skill level and hone your skills. I'm in my 3rd season of my Dynasty and I'll still playing at the 2nd lowest level. I had won 26 straight (until I lost to Ohio State 14-17) and usually by pretty good margins but I'm not at all confident I could win at the next level. I'm still trying to figure out rushing and I'm getting the hang of passing.
Old 08-14-03, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by bishop2knight
Okay, so I keep winning (sometimes barely, sometimes by huge margins) but mostly it's because of my awesome defense. Even at 7 minute quarters, I'm struggling to get over 300 yards of offense.

This last offseason, I tried with many many points to get offensive studs, and no one would bite. Not a single one.

So, how the hell do I get some offense in the coming seasons?
Yeah...I have trouble with that as well now that I have switched over to using Kansas(not fun being the second worst team in a stacked conference). If your line can't block then running is the most annoying thing and I have yet to break open a big run up the middle. I have found though that you just need to mix it up. If you cant run because they are stepping up, try going for a pass over their heads(of course this is easier said then done when you have a crappy qb). Once they start dropping back, try the run again. If that is still not working go for short passes. Get enough of those and you can sneak in 7 yard runs semi-often. Once you start gaining yards you might be able to get that superstar offensive player.

I am assuming of course too that you are recruiting within your level and when you say "offensive studs" that doesnt automatically mean blue chip?...unless of course your team prestige is 5 star or better