Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Worst camera ever in a 3D game?

Old 08-01-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Worst camera ever in a 3D game?

The other day I was discussing Kingdom Hearts with a friend of mine, and we were upset by the fact that the game is really a great game, but you are crippled by your two biggest enemies -- the camera and the controls.

Notably, the camera never seems to point where you need it, always seems to change position when you don't want it to (like in the middle of a jump), and often just zooms around crazily during battle.

Still, it's not the worst camera ever.

Devil May Cry had pretty bad camera angles, I particularly didn't like the static views given in many rooms, and often the camera wasn't where I needed it during boss fights. I got lost several times because I found it hard to figure out exactly what the rooms looked like, since the angles never panned and the views were usually 'artistic' rather than 'useful'.

Still, it's not the worst camera ever, at least it didn't actively try to kill you.

No, to that honor goes Castlevania 64. I actually gave up playing this game because of the camera. I've never seen a camera spin so often at such critical junctures in the game. And unlike Kingdom Hearts, it's not like you just get hit or end up running the wrong way or have to make your way back up four or five jumps -- oh no, you die. I was killed by the damn camera more times than I could count in that game. Not only that, it seemed to take a diabolical pride in killing you after you'd done a LOT of exploring and just before the next save point. If you didn't have a memory pack, playing this game bordered on masochistic.

So, what's your worst camera?
Old 08-01-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I remember that damn Kingdom Hearts camera. It actually kept me from finishing that game because I couldn't take it anymore. Sad, because I liked what I saw of the game until I quit.
Old 08-01-03, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I seriously doubt it's the "worst ever", but the camera in Tench 3 gave me fits. I could never figure out where to go next and was always bumping into bad guys because the camera was always too close to my back and I couldn't see anything in those inclosed spaces. I had some trouble with Hitman 2 also in that regards (but nowhere near as bad).

Kingdom Hearts wasn't great, but at least they allowed you to adjust the camera. Several games don't and that just drives me nuts sometimes.
Old 08-01-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
The camera in blinx is pretty bad.
Old 08-01-03, 02:07 PM

My vote would go to Devil May Cry 2. Only game I have played where I often find myself fighting off screen.
Old 08-01-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

HATED Devil May Cry. Too disorienting. Didn't even look at DMC2 because of that.
Old 08-01-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MGS/MGS2 come to mind.

Also Mario Sunshine in a couple spots. Most notable, the part where you climb up behind the ferris wheel. Other than that, it was fine.
Old 08-01-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Devil May Cry wasn't that bad--some of the camera angles were pretty cool, but DMC2 was ridiculous. It was rare when you could see your character up close and even then they were usually off-center. If there is a third one I won't even consider playing it.
Old 08-01-03, 02:46 PM

My vote goes for Genma Onimusha but that was the first one I played w/ a static camera and I just never got used to it. I'm also not liking the lack of control in the Two Towers but it's playable for now...
Old 08-01-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't like the camera for Zelda: Wind Waker. The free camera mode allowed you to zoom in/out and pan around, but it didn't give you control over the Z-axis. That was a poor oversight IMO.
Old 08-01-03, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally posted by goLUCKY
The camera in blinx is pretty bad.
That was the first one that came to mind for me. I can't think of another game off the top of my head where I had to adjust the camera so much...practically with every jump or step.
Old 08-01-03, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I absolutely loved them, MediEvil and MediEvil 2 had some issues. The ship in the first one and the tower in the second had some serious camera shift problems during jumps that led to catastrophic results.
Old 08-01-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought Spiderman The Movie was pretty bad - in fact it was so bad I had to sell the game. The gameplay was alright, but I'd rather fight with the on-screen baddies than the camera controls the whole game.

Jeremy
Old 08-01-03, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Hulk It was a fun time passer game but the camera just makes me wanna HULK SMASH it to pieces!!!!
Old 08-01-03, 08:19 PM

I hated the camera in Sonic Adventure 2. Sometimes it was impossible to backtrack, which was a pain when you had to search for items.
Old 08-01-03, 09:41 PM

Zone of the Enders 1 and 2
Old 08-01-03, 10:58 PM
Banned

Can anyone say Earthworm Jim 3-d? Awsome game worst camera ever and nothing can compete with that gaurantee.
Old 08-02-03, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Bomberman 64
Old 08-02-03, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tomb Raider.
Old 08-02-03, 09:39 AM

Herdy Gerdy comes to mind; the camera would sometimes just spin around randomly for no reason whatsoever.

I consider the camera in Super Mario Sunshine to be almost like an extra mini-game. You can play for what seems like an eternity to get the camera lined up just right, and then have it bounce all over the place once you move. It may not have been the worst camera ever, but it was enough to get me to stop playing the game.
Old 08-02-03, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am surprised no one has mentioned Blue Stinger for the Dreamcast. This camera was absolutely horrid but I did like the game enough to finish it.
Old 08-04-03, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by spainlinx0
Yeah, I remember that damn Kingdom Hearts camera. It actually kept me from finishing that game because I couldn't take it anymore. Sad, because I liked what I saw of the game until I quit.
go back and finish it man! The ending is great!
Old 08-04-03, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bubsy 3D
Old 08-04-03, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Blinx is crappy due to the fact that they are timed levels and the first few times you do a new level you have to adjust the cam all the time and learn how to move around without wasting your time on the cam.

Devil May Cry was pretty bad. I was going to try the second one but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

And DOAX is on my list as well. I really did enjoy this game but felt the cam reacted too slow. I needed it to be on my side of the net when te ball was and I guess that was too much to ask. A higher view or alternate cams would of worked for me but I wasn't so lucky.

Last edited by MasterofDVD; 08-04-03 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-04-03, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And DOAX is on my list as well. I really did enjoy this game but felt the cam reacted too slow. I needed it to be on my side of the net when te ball was and I guess that was too much to ask. A higher view or alternate cams would of worked for me but I wasn't so lucky.
If you play this game in 16:9 widescreen mode, you won't have any camera problems. The game shows both sides of the court simultaneously in widescreen mode. Just one more reason to own a widescreen TV.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.