Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Review wanted: MadCatz MicroCon Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-03, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review wanted: MadCatz MicroCon Steering Wheel

How does it compare with other wheels and with it's daddy the MC2 wheel? Is it really too small for adults to use? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-31-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
I have the MicroCON for the XBox. I was a little hesitant because of the size, but that was before I plugged it in. The size didn't prove to be an issue with me after all. The wheel itself is sturdy and a decent size, and you can 'hold' it several different ways. It has suction cups on the base you can use to fix it to a surface, or, since I have hardwood floors , it has retractable edges you can use to latch it onto your legs. The floor pedals are tiny, but since you're obviously only going to press one at a time and they're spaced reasonably well apart, I didn't find myself missing a pedal I was trying to press or accidentally pressing both. The controls are responsive, and the wheel has a 'Sensitivity' button you can toggle whenever you'd like if you want to change the feel.

Unlike the larger wheel, though, there's no gear shift built in. I suck and always race automatic, so that hasn't been a problem for me. Also, the button placement looks a bit awkward to me, but I don't do anything in racing games other than steer, brake, or accelerate, so that hasn't been a problem. One of the biggest downsides is that it doesn't have a jack for the XBox Live communicator.

Its usefulness depends on the game. I only have two racing titles... For "RalliSport Challenge", I found it to be indispensable. I couldn't get a grip on the controls with a standard Duke, but with the wheel, I <small>:gasp!:</small> would actually win races. With "Midtown Madness 3", I played for around ten hours with the Duke before trying using the wheel setting, and maybe I'd just gotten so used to using the controller that I couldn't make the transition. I played probably 80% as well with the wheel as with the thumbstick on MM3, which isn't bad, and after a couple of hours trying out the wheel, I went back to using the Duke.

I love the wheel, and I'd absolutely recommend it. Circuit City has it on sale coming up soon. By the way, I'm 24 and have what I'm told are incrementally larger than normal-sized hands.
Old 08-01-03, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You definitely are a star reviewer. And hello from up I-85, I'm in Concord/Charlotte area. Are you getting out to see the Panthers and Falcons NFL practices?

Thanks so much for the review. I did get yesterday (because they have them and I couldn't seem to find them anywere) the multi-platform MC2 wheel. I've been reading that that is a better choice than the XBOX only wheel for connection loss purposes.

I have an MC2 with my dreamcast and love it for racing games.

I may try out the microcon though since it's on sale @ CC. I, like you, only use auto trans. but may try my skills with the manual. I don't have XBLive and currently only have rallisport and SegaGT. On the horizon though is Burnout2 and NASCAR Thunder 2004. Again, I really appreciate the review.