Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PSP specs!

Old 07-29-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PSP specs!

So, in a nutshell, it plays MPEG4 (DVD-quality movie up to 2 hours), has 7.1 surround sound, 16:9 widescreen, USB2.0 and Wireless LAN support, MP3 compatible, and full 32-bit CPU.

Is this even a portable gaming machine anymore?!?!?

http://www.gamefront.de/

Auf Deutsch:

Cutting Edge Technologies (Aiming to explore the future):
- 90nm Semiconductor Process
- Dual MIPS R4000 Core
- Vector Floating Engines
- Reconfigurable DSP Engine(VME)
- Advanced 3D Graphics Engine
- AVC(MPEG4) Decoder
- AES Crypto System
- 1.8GB UMD

21st Century Portable System:
* Vereint alle Formen der digitalen Unterhaltung *
- 3D-CG Game
- 7.1ch Audio, 3D Sound
- ATRAC3 plus, AAC, MP3 for Music
- AVC/@MP for Picture / Movie
- 16:9 Widescreen TFT LCD
- Embedded Wireless LAN 802.11
- Li-ion Battery
- Extension for GPS, Digital Tuner...

Optical Disc System:
- Large Capacity (3 x to CD-ROM)
- Media for Game/Music/Movie/Publishing
- Lower Manufacturing Cost
- Minimize Inventory Risk
- Repoat Ordering System
- Parental Lock System
- Regional Code System
- Copy Protection

UMD - Universal Media Disc:
* Ultimate Portable Disc for SD System *
- 60mm
- Laser Diode: 660nm
- Dual Layer : 1.8GB
- Transfer Rate: 11Mbps
- Shock Proof
- Secure ROM by AES
- Unique Disc ID

PSP CPU Core:
- MIPS R4000 32-Bit Core
- 128 Bit Bus
- 1~333 MHz @ 1.2V
- 8 MB Hauptspeicher (eDRAM)
- Bus Bandwidth: 2,6 GB/sec
- I-Cache / D-Cache
- FPU, VFPU (Vector Unit): @ 2,6 GFlops
- 3D-CG Extended Instructions

PSP Media Engine:
- MIPS R4000 32-Bit Core
- 128 Bit Bus
- 1~333 MHz @ 1.2V
- Sub Memory: 2MB (eDRAM) @ 2,5 GB/sec
- I-Cache / D-Cache
- 90nm Cmos

PSP Graphics Core 1:
- 3D Curved Surface + 3D Polygon
- Compressed Texture
- Hardware Clipping, Morphing, Bone(8)
- Hardware Tessellator
- Bezier, B-Spline(NURBS)
- ex 4×4 / 16×16 / 64×64 sub-division
~ reduce program /data
~ reduce memory footprint & bus traffic

PSP Graphics Core 2:
- Rendering Engine + Surface Engine
- 256bit Bus, 1-166 MHz @1.2V
- VRAM :2MB (eDRAM)
- Bus Bandwidth: 5.3GB/sec
- Pixel Fill Rate :664 M pixels/sec
- max. 33 M Polygon/Sec (T&L)
- 24bit Full Color: RGBA

PSP Sound Core:
- Reconfigurable DSPs
- 128 Bit Bus
- 166 MHz @ 1.2V
- 5 Giga Operations/Sek.
- CODEC
- 3D Sound, Multi-Channel
- Synthesizer, Effecter, ...

AVC Decoder:
- AVC (H.264) Decoder
- Main Profile
- Baseline Profile
- @ Level1, Level2, Level3
- 2Hours (High Quality) ~ DVD Movie
- 4Hours (Standard Quality) ~ CS Digital

Kommunikation:
- Wireless LAN 802.11 (Hot Spots, Home Server, usw.)
- IrDA (PSP, Handy, usw.)
- Stereo-Kopfhörer-Anschluss
- Memory Stick
- USB 2.0 (PSP, PS2, PC, usw.)
Old 07-29-03, 10:40 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
...and all for the low, low price of $300!

Still curious how much there going to price this thing at. If the N-Gage is gonna be $300, who knows about this one.
Old 07-29-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 07-29-03, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

and it looks like this...

$300 would be too much... err... wouldn't it?

Considering the PS2 is under $200... surely they can just make their money back re-selling old Tomb Raider games? I personally think this thing is COOL. It's the only handheld I've wanted to purchase since the Gameboy Color...
Old 07-29-03, 11:32 AM
Retired

I don't see how they could launch that at a price that it will sell well.

The GB/GBA has always been pretty cheap, and I'm sure that's a large part of its success. Especially when you factor in the number of kids that own them and have to talk their parents into buying them.
Old 07-29-03, 11:59 AM

Not going to be portable with those specs.
Old 07-29-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
7.1 surround? Umm, I know I don't carry around 7 speakers and a subwoofer when I'm looking to go portable.
Old 07-29-03, 12:37 PM
Banned

More Specs and in English

http://psp.ps3insider.com/hardware/0004.html
Old 07-29-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by spainlinx0
7.1 surround? Umm, I know I don't carry around 7 speakers and a subwoofer when I'm looking to go portable.
Old 07-29-03, 01:10 PM
Banned

I just read through the specs, and all I can say is wow. I can honestly say that even if this thing was $300 (which it probably will not be) I would still buy it. This thing is more of a portable media unit than a portable gaming unit. Movies, MP3s, etc. I don't know about you all, but I can't wait til E3!
Old 07-29-03, 02:12 PM

cough::vaporware::cough
Old 07-29-03, 02:25 PM

So is this going to arm terrorists with the technology to launch nuclear warheads just as the PS2 has?
Old 07-29-03, 02:36 PM
Retired

Well the PSP well more than likely come out so it's not really vaporware.

Whether it comes out with those specs and does all that crap is another story.
Old 07-29-03, 02:48 PM
Banned

I'm pretty sure Vaporware is hardware which is claiming to be "the greatest" and doesn't provide specs. As soon as they provide specs, its no longer vaporware.
Old 07-29-03, 02:50 PM
Retired

Vaporware is simply rumored/announced hardware that never materializes. There's been lots of game systems announced (with specs) that have never came out over the years.
Old 07-29-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think PSP is actually going to be the PS3. IT's Sony's new Guerilla marketing that is trying to slip in their new system under the guise of a portable!

Seriously though, what interests me the most is the 802.11 connections. My Spidey sense says this will play a large part in PS3 connectivity.

.... and I seriously doubt this is vaporware at this point.
Old 07-29-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
I predict this thing (if it has those specs) will be more in the $350-$400 range at least.

And no way it's going to compete with the Gameboy very much. It's a whole other market.
Old 07-29-03, 03:54 PM
Banned

Well, its obvious that Sony is going to take a huge hit when they release this (something Nintendo refuses to do). I'm going to predict that this thing is going to retail at $200 which is really a bargain when you think about it.
Old 07-29-03, 04:01 PM
Retired

I really can't see this retailing for $200.

The PS2 was $300 at launch (and still $179 and $199 for the online pack) and it likely cost less to make than the PSP will with those specs. Making technology small is pretty expensive, not to mention the screen will likely be pretty decent quality (and thus quality) if it's going to play movies.
Old 07-29-03, 04:13 PM
Banned

Sony has already said that it would be "comparible" in price to GBA-SP, which probably means the $100 price tag it caries now. I think Sony is trying to do what Microsoft did - enter the market with superior hardware at a similar price. I think Sony knows the only way they are going to get a foothold in the portable gaming industry is if they offer a portable far superior to anything else out there at a price where people can easily switch over. I think the N-Gage would have some sucess if they priced it at $200 and I don't think Sony is going to make the mistake of going over that.
Old 07-29-03, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by joshd2012
Sony has already said that it would be "comparible" in price to GBA-SP, which probably means the $100 price tag it caries now. I think Sony is trying to do what Microsoft did - enter the market with superior hardware at a similar price. I think Sony knows the only way they are going to get a foothold in the portable gaming industry is if they offer a portable far superior to anything else out there at a price where people can easily switch over. I think the N-Gage would have some sucess if they priced it at $200 and I don't think Sony is going to make the mistake of going over that.
Sounds sensible... very UN-Gamespy forum

The only thing I'd worry about is their proprietary disc format - and getting information from you PC to transfer over, if that's even a possibility. They say it's going to play movies - but do you really want to have to buy a movie in yet another format? I don't know about your music stores - but I don't see the MiniDisc section getting any larger...
Old 07-29-03, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ^sam^
Sounds sensible... very UN-Gamespy forum

The only thing I'd worry about is their proprietary disc format - and getting information from you PC to transfer over, if that's even a possibility. They say it's going to play movies - but do you really want to have to buy a movie in yet another format? I don't know about your music stores - but I don't see the MiniDisc section getting any larger...
Getting info to and from a PC will be a cinch with either the memory stick or the USB 2.0 connection or you could just use the wireless lan feature. If it plays Divx then you could either, ahem, get those movies from somewhere, or convert your DVD's if you are into that sort of thing. As far as minidisc goes, I doubt they'll go that route. I think this is their pathway into the iPOD market with digital downloads written directly to the device on UMD or memory stick.

El Predicto predicts a price point of $150 with a buttload essential overpriced accessories to make money on.
Old 07-29-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For the record, vaporware refers to software that is announced, hyped and promoted, but never delivered or it's delivered so late as to be obsolete, eg Duke Nukem Forever. Strictly speaking, the PSP can't be vaporware since it's hardware, but even speaking loosely, you really can't call it vaporware until it at least misses its initial shipping date (4Q04)

In general, it's sort of Sony's style to go for the high-end in any new market they enter. The specs are indeed impressive, but Sony's got some experience with integrating MIPS cores in multi-function embedded processors (see the innards of the PS2). It's one of the advantages of being able to manufacture your own chips. If they're able to cram all that into one or two chips, it shouldn't be too expensive. My guess is they'll be selling it for $199.

I'm guessing that the 7.1 sound is just marketing spin for the fact that the movies/music for the device will have DD or DTS tracks. I doubt the thing is going to support surround sound gaming.

More interestingly, though, this implies that this system can be plugged into a TV/HT System to play back the movies and music. I suppose this means it's likely you'll be able to play the games on a TV as well.

I wonder if the WiFi functionality means it can hook into your LAN and play files off your computer. To be able to walk around the house and play any music or video file off the HD on my server? That'd be worth $200 by itself.

All this assuming these specs aren't the fevered dreams of some Sony fanboy.
Old 07-29-03, 05:36 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
There is NO way Sony can put this thing out at a 'comparable price to GBA'. GBA SP is $100 new right NOW, by the time the PSP comes out, SP will most likley be $70, and there might possibly be a new Gameboy on the market. Im still betting this thing will be $300-$350.
Old 07-29-03, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by The Franchise
Getting info to and from a PC will be a cinch with either the memory stick or the USB 2.0 connection or you could just use the wireless lan feature. If it plays Divx then you could either, ahem, get those movies from somewhere, or convert your DVD's if you are into that sort of thing.
Good point - although what I'm really wondering is if the discs themselves will be writable/re-writable. I don't see any sort of hard drive on there for storage so I hope we can write to the discs... surely... right?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.