DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Is it worth getting an XBox for KOTOR? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/307834-worth-getting-xbox-kotor.html)

Josh H 07-29-03 02:34 PM

[off topic] You must have a hell of a desk chair or a crappy couch. ;)

I have a decent leather desk chair which is pretty comfortable, but it can't top my couch. Plus I can't put my feet up on the coffee table when I'm at the computer. :D

But maybe I'm just biased against computers and desks as I spend hours a day sitting at my computer in my office and don't want to do it more at home. :D
[/off topic]

Save Ferris 07-29-03 02:54 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
[off topic] You must have a hell of a desk chair or a crappy couch. ;)

I have a decent leather desk chair which is pretty comfortable, but it can't top my couch. Plus I can't put my feet up on the coffee table when I'm at the computer. :D

But maybe I'm just biased against computers and desks as I spend hours a day sitting at my computer in my office and don't want to do it more at home. :D
[/off topic]

this is THE best reason to switch to console gaming. I sit in front of a computer in a (comfortable) desk chair all day. I dont need to spend my gaming hours in front of another computer--it just seems like i never left the office. Nothing like playing KOTOR for 12 hours in a lazyboy recliner ;)

trigun 07-29-03 03:00 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
[broken record]I have incredible 5.1 speakers on my pc and my desk chair is more comfy than my couch[/broken record]
Obviously, everybody's mileage will vary here. I have a Klipsch 4.1 speaker setup and 21" monitor for my PC, but they simply can't compare to playing on the HT setup :)

young 07-29-03 03:28 PM

Originally posted by Save Ferris
this is THE best reason to switch to console gaming. I sit in front of a computer in a (comfortable) desk chair all day. I dont need to spend my gaming hours in front of another computer--it just seems like i never left the office. Nothing like playing KOTOR for 12 hours in a lazyboy recliner ;)

12 hours!!! that's just nutz! :eek: and not healthy. try to limit yourself to 10 hours max.

ugabuga 07-29-03 03:33 PM

Exactly lets see play on a small monitor and maybe if u have a ok 5.1 setup or for me play on a big comfy couch in glorious dd 5.1 through the ht system and oh yea play it on my Hitachi 65incher hmmm...

Again YMMV depending on equipment!

Kumar J 07-29-03 07:43 PM

I got X-box just to play Halo and Silent Hill 2.But now I keep my CD collection also inside it,so it's not a waste.

xmiyux 07-30-03 11:24 AM

This game got me to buckle and pick up an Xbox and i've loved every second of it. I even switched my reservation on Soul Calibur II from the GC to the Xbox.

My only whine is that i don't have broadband available in this area so i can't get Xbox Live and therefor can't get the downloadable content on KOTOR - hopefully they throw it on a demo disc in the magazine or something for us people in the boonies. ;)

Josh H 07-30-03 11:38 AM

Originally posted by xmiyux
This game got me to buckle and pick up an Xbox and i've loved every second of it. I even switched my reservation on Soul Calibur II from the GC to the Xbox.

My only whine is that i don't have broadband available in this area so i can't get Xbox Live and therefor can't get the downloadable content on KOTOR - hopefully they throw it on a demo disc in the magazine or something for us people in the boonies. ;)

I feel your pain. I lived in Buckhannon, WV for 18 years, Shepherdstown for 6 months, and Morgantown for 4 years. WV sucks. :D

I live in the DC area now, but I can't afford broadband (don't really want it that much anyway).

What is the downloadable content for KOTR? I'm hoping they'll put it on a Demo disk as well, assuming it's worthwhile.

young 07-30-03 11:47 AM

afaik, there is no downloadable content yet. hopefully, it is additional quests or something useful.

Ghym 07-30-03 12:57 PM

I've heard the downloadable content is just going to be armor and weapons. I read that on IGN.

SmackDaddy 07-30-03 01:02 PM

Supposedly the downloadable content will be some new items and maybe weapons. They will be available in a certain place in the gameworld so you can check them out/buy them.

Nothing that sounds too exciting unless it dramtically changes gameplay.

This game is like crack! I played until 1am last night(started aroud 6pm)

Josh H 07-30-03 01:49 PM

The game is definitely addictive. There's just so much to do. I'm only like 4 hours into it and I've already battled in the arena, played the card game, got a bounty removed, collected a bounty on a female assassin, in addition to the main quest.

I'd have more hours in, but I've been busy with work, working on my thesis, and getting ready to move next Wednesday.

Sessa17 07-30-03 07:45 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
The game is definitely addictive. There's just so much to do. I'm only like 4 hours into it and I've already battled in the arena, played the card game, got a bounty removed, collected a bounty on a female assassin, in addition to the main quest.

I'd have more hours in, but I've been busy with work, working on my thesis, and getting ready to move next Wednesday.

This was all in the part of the game where I was still kind of not diggin' KOTOR. You think it's addictive now, wait until you leave the planet & become a Jedi in training. Dear lord, addictive like crack. . . uhhh. . . so I hear.

mr.snowmizer 07-30-03 11:23 PM

Below is a copy & paste from the Gaming Age forums of a copy & paste from IGN. :)

It's amazing how little pre-release buzz there was, compared to the explosion of interest once reviews started hitting... a perfect illustration of the uselessness of predicting "system sellers", in my opinion.

It's an honest to god strain for us to drag our sorry asses in to work when we know that the game is just sitting at home waiting for us. When we are at work, we're mostly ignoring our jobs and talking about how much fun the game is.

Aha! Perhaps KOTOR is to blame for the quality of your sites lately! The truth is revealed. Tal, can you take Matt's and Stephen's copies of KOTOR and give them back to them on Friday, after the sites update?

I haven't seen the editors at the IGN offices as excited about a game in a long time. It's not often that the lot of us head to the mall together the day a game is released to all pick up copies.

For me, KOTOR recaptures the spirit that Star Wars has lost with Episodes I and II. It's much more than just a great RPG, it's the future of Star Wars in my mind. While Lucas is primed to spit out a third Episode that hopefully will meet my expectations, but probably will not, I will always have the loveliness of KOTOR and the upcoming Jedi Knight III to keep me warm.

So, I think it's a brilliant game, and one that will sell a lot of Xboxes. My brother and I began playing it together when he was visiting on vacation, and the last night he played it, he said "I gotta get an Xbox." This is perhaps the biggest testament to the game's greatness. It's a system seller, and in my mind, the first entrant into the "Game of the Year" running.

Dan Adams: I can't really stop thinking about or, when I'm home, playing it. Matt's totally right about being able to tell your "friends" to screw off. When the prattling just wears on you, just tell whoever you're talking to to take a hike. The great thing is that this holds some bit of consequence though. You may not get a quest you otherwise would have or learn something that may help you. My personal favorite bit is helping your crew members embrace their hate and turn against their loved ones. Now that I'm delving farther into Force Persuading people into doing things, it's even more fun. One poor sap is sure that killing his enemy's whole family is a fantastic idea.

I can't think of the last time that the entire IGN office (literally every game editor, including our insano PS2 heavy-hitter, Douglass C. Perry) has stopped life to play the exact same game for weeks exclusively and then show up in the office to trade stories, tips, and unbridled spurts of pent-up Star Wars love. KOTOR's special, that's for sure.

http://insider.ign.com/articles/430/430862p1.html

Spiderbite 07-31-03 08:40 AM

Originally posted by Sessa17
You think it's addictive now, wait until you leave the planet & become a Jedi in training. Dear lord, addictive like crack. . . uhhh. . . so I hear.
Ain't that the truth! I have been moving very slowly on the game just b/c I take my time and I don't have a ton of free time to play games. Last night I set aside an hour & a half to play KOTOR. I ended up playing for 5 hours! No game has ever affected me this way. And I hate RPGs!

I just started my jedi training and once you get that little light saber in your hand you just want to destroy everything! I can't wait to beat it, go back thru and play as a dark jedi. Temptation is great and I find myself struggling to stay on the light side. Other than Halo, this may be the game that I never get rid of.

I never played Jedi Kight 2: Jedi Outcast but I see the reviews are very good. Is it as good as KOTOR?

Save Ferris 07-31-03 09:31 AM

Jedi outcast is a GREAT game!

Ghym 07-31-03 02:36 PM

Originally posted by mr.snowmizer
It's amazing how little pre-release buzz there was, compared to the explosion of interest once reviews started hitting... a perfect illustration of the uselessness of predicting "system sellers", in my opinion.
I didn't think twice about this game until the reviews came out and every message board I went to started talking about it. Hell, I didn't even know it was coming out until a few days before it hit shelves. Damn good game. I hope this increases interest in western style RPGs. I've always liked them more than Japanese RPGs. There will probably be a flood of crappy titles trying to be KOTOR though.

Sessa17 07-31-03 02:54 PM

Originally posted by Ghym
I didn't think twice about this game until the reviews came out and every message board I went to started talking about it. Hell, I didn't even know it was coming out until a few days before it hit shelves. Damn good game. I hope this increases interest in western style RPGs. I've always liked them more than Japanese RPGs. There will probably be a flood of crappy titles trying to be KOTOR though.
Yeah, me too. I think this game is someone of a phenomenon & I might go as far as say it's staring a gaming revolution. I'm not a big gamer I buy maybe 3-4 games a year if that. So I don't go to video game sites or forums, I only subcribe to Game Informer which is my favorite game magazine. But just looking at this forum alone. Count in all the KOTOR threads, how many people have posted "I don't own an Xbox, but I had to go out & buy one b/c of KOTOR, which is what I did. Or "I never planned on getting an Xbox do I'll just wait for the PC version to come out" yet if you look back in the thread a day or 2 later the same person now posts "So I broke down & bought an Xbox just for KOTOR".

IT is INSANE how many posts there are like that in this forum. so I can't imagine how many people in other forums & all over the place are doing the same thing.

The other amazing thing with KOTOR is the almost absurd amount of praise everyone is giving. B.c I take into account the game has some pretty huge flaws. But the other elements are so amazing one can easilty overlook the flaws. Based on simply 1 game, KOTOR has made Xbox my favorite system.