DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Is it worth getting an XBox for KOTOR? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/307834-worth-getting-xbox-kotor.html)

wildcatlh 07-28-03 12:33 PM

Is it worth getting an XBox for KOTOR?

I've resisted buying an XBox for this long. But KOTOR is really, really, really tempting me.

Is it a good enough game that I should buy a new system for it? (FWIW, I already have a PS2 and Cube... and I might actually trade the Cube in or sell it, since I rarely touch the thing...)

Josh H 07-28-03 12:43 PM

I have a PS2 and Cube as well, and really want to play KOTOR.

To me, it's not worth the $179 just to play it and Halo and Panzer Dragoon (the only other two exclusives out that interest me). I'm planning on waiting until either another price drop (to $99 hopefully) or more games I want to come out, which ever comes first.

KOTR, Halo and PDO will be just as fun to play a ways down the road as they are today, so I'm in no rush to shell out the $ for a 3rd system at the moment.

Aghama 07-28-03 12:44 PM

No. But then I don't think there's been a game of that caliber since GTA3.

khai 07-28-03 12:52 PM

The game is coming to PC nearing the end of the year, so if you have a pc that is playable with games, then there's that choice.

MasterofDVD 07-28-03 01:38 PM

Personally I would never buy a system for 1 game. or even a handful of games.

When I bought my PS2 it was because I was living alone and knew nobody where I moved to.

I bought my XBOX because it seemed like a great way to keep my CD collection handy, they had a much better online plan and the games really seemed to ones that I liked.

But I did buy a GC just because I didn't want to miss out on an console exclusives and I figured I wouldn't with all three.

Either wait for the PC version of KOTOR or just wait for a prie drop. I wanted to game but I'm even gonna wait it out a bit.

Spiderbite 07-28-03 01:39 PM

I don't think any one game is worth buying a system for. I do think that there are many other games available on the Xbox that are worth having besides just KOTOR. I also think that the upgrade from a PS2 to an Xbox for just $179 is worth it but that's just me.

Josh...the Xbox might one day hit $99 but it will be when the Xbox 2 comes out. (meaning...far away in the future) By then, why get an Xbox when you can buy an Xbox 2?

I will sell you mine for $99 (or less) when that happens. :) When did $179 become so much money? I remember my Dad shelling out around $300 (I think) for our first Atari back around 1980 or 1981. I know you said that you were broke, school, etc. but jeez...79 bucks is not much more than the cost of a game.

Josh H 07-28-03 01:50 PM

Originally posted by brianluvdvd

Josh...the Xbox might one day hit $99 but it will be when the Xbox 2 comes out. (meaning...far away in the future) By then, why get an Xbox when you can buy an Xbox 2?

I will sell you mine for $99 (or less) when that happens. :) When did $179 become so much money? I remember my Dad shelling out around $300 (I think) for our first Atari back around 1980 or 1981. I know you said that you were broke, school, etc. but jeez...79 bucks is not much more than the cost of a game.

Like you said, it's not worth it to buy a system for one game, and KOTR is the only X-box exclusive I'm dying to play.

$179 is a damn lot of money to me right now. Subtracting rent and other bills out of my funds right now leaves me with under $100 for food and fun from now until Aug. 15. You try living on your own in the DC metro area off a Graduate assitantship and see if you think $179 isn't a lot of money (much less a lot of money for a 3rd console that only has a couple of exclusives that interest you).

As for the X-box 2, Nintendo's machines are the only consoles I feel compelled to buy right away. Up to this point they've always been reasonably priced (GC was $100 less than the PS2 and X-box) and their first party games are the only 100% "must haves" for me. So even if MS gets more exclusives that interest me next generation on the X-box 2, I still wouldn't buy one until it dropped to $199 or lower (the most I'll pay for a console).

young 07-28-03 02:04 PM

well, i bought the ps2 solely for GT3...

i don't think KoTOR is the greatest game ever so, i wouldn't buy the xbox solely for it. but, if you are a diehard Starwars fan, and you can't wait, yeah, go get it now!

i assume that your financial condition is healthy.

--
note that although i can nitpick KoTOR, i can't stop playing the damn game!!!! is that bad? i've even stopped playing motoGP2 religiously b/c of it. so there you have it.

Jtnguyen12 07-28-03 02:04 PM

The Price Cut is GOOD but in the future all the great games head to new generation console.

Like PS1 for $49.99 then no better games comming out after it..... Everything i see is just JUNK's!

REL77 07-28-03 02:07 PM

Honestly, I think it is. I got an Xbox just for it. No other reason honestly. I dont think there are that many other games I really want to play on it. Just that

Josh H 07-28-03 02:08 PM

Originally posted by Jtnguyen12
The Price Cut is GOOD but in the future all the great games head to new generation console.

Like PS1 for $49.99 then no better games comming out after it..... Everything i see is just JUNK's!

It's just a matter of what's more important to you: saving money or playing the latest games right away.

Aside from Nintendo's games, I don't care about playing the latest games right away. I waited until the price drop on the PS2 and have primarily picked up greatest hit and other cheap games. I have just as much fun playing them now as I would have a year or two ago, and I didn't have to spend $300 on the console and $50 on the games.

Neitzl 07-28-03 02:15 PM

I've had my X-Box for only a month now, and the real reason I bought it was for Halo and X-Box Live. So far, those two haven't disappointed. I bought KOTOR last week and I would say it really is worth it to buy the system for the game as well as some other games out there. On it's own, it would be really tough for me to say buy xbox only for KOTOR, unless money isn't a problem then go for it!.
But if it is, I'm borderline.

If you are a star wars fan, and really want something better in terms of story than those two silly movies that came out, then yes get it.

If you can wait, and have a PC, then wait.

AhhH!!! I don't know, but if I didn't have an XBox already, and heard of all the talk about this game and it's great gameplay/story, _I_ would go out and get one instantly. Btw, I'm a so-so fan of Star Wars, and RPGs, but this game just blows me away.

Neitzl (hope I helped some...)

Copenhagen 07-28-03 02:17 PM

I acted in the same manner Josh, I waited for the first drop on the Xbox and GC, and am in the process of waiting for the killer deal to get me to pick up the PS2. I really only buy the must have games on their street date and generally wait for cuts on the rest.

Getting back on topic, KOTOR is a really good game, but I can't say that this game alone is worth getting a Xbox for.

bmello 07-28-03 02:26 PM

Why don't some of you check the local Pawn Shops. Around here, XBOX and PS2 are ~$100-$110 and the Cube is $80-$90.

Trigger 07-28-03 02:30 PM

I spent 200 bucks on Steel Batallion.

I haven't played KOTOR, but I own over 30 games for the xbox that I really like... 1/3 of them I really love... and there's about 30 more on the horizon that I'm dying to play. I wouldn't buy a console for one game, but who knows why the hell I do what I do.

Josh H 07-28-03 02:34 PM

Originally posted by bmello
Why don't some of you check the local Pawn Shops. Around here, XBOX and PS2 are ~$100-$110 and the Cube is $80-$90.
I don't trust buying used consoles, especially from a pawn shop that probably offers no warranties. The used/refurbed ones at game stores aren't cheap enough to warrant the risk either IMO.

But like I said, I'm in no hurry. KOTR will be just as fun whenever I get around to picking it up as it is now. I really don't have time for an RPG right now anyway, regardless of how bad I want to play it.

sniper308 07-28-03 02:42 PM

or buy a refurb ... I think Gamecrazy has refurbs for $149 and you get 12 free rentals from Hollywood Video with that.

Josh H 07-28-03 02:44 PM

Originally posted by sniper308
or buy a refurb ... I think Gamecrazy has refurbs for $149 and you get 12 free rentals from Hollywood Video with that.
$30 and 12 free rentals aren't worth it for me to take a machine that's already broken down once.

Spiderbite 07-28-03 02:45 PM

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=151277

Wildcat, this thread may help you decide. Other exclusives that are great in my opinion are Halo, Outlaw Golf & Outlaw Volleyball, Midtown Madness (if you want to get LIVE), Unreal (LIVE), Rallisport, DOA3 & DOAX. I am sure there are some others but those are ones that are of interest to me just off the top of my head.

Sorry, Josh. I didn't mean harp on ya regarding money. Trust me, I know what it is like to be broke. I actually went several years without even playing games 'cause I couldn't really afford it. (and that damn Sega CD & 32X also shares some of the blame)

sniper308 07-28-03 02:50 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
$30 and 12 free rentals aren't worth it for me to take a machine that's already broken down once.
Most refurbs are in very good condition as they have been back to the factory, etc, and usually come with a warranty (not sure specifically about Game Crazy machines)

Now, I would not buy a used one for that difference, and most of the time I can find a better deal by waiting for a killer deal than the refurbs in any case, (string together a PM and a coupon, etc)

I did not buy a refurb this generation, but I did buy a refurb PlayStation and never had a single problem, even sold it for what I paid for it.

Let's also state that I am extremely cheap, and waited for a deal but I have a GC, an X-Box and a GBA.

I purchased the GC for the RE series (but of course found more to play, such as Metroid Prime, and others)

I purchased an X-Box for Halo (but again of course found more to play)

Basically if you are a gamer, once you have the console more games will get your interest. I just finished Max Payne for the X-Box and it was well worth all $11 I spent on it :D

bmello 07-28-03 02:54 PM

That's the problem. Alot of people won't buy used but they bitch that they have no money. Yeah you take a chance but if you are semi smart about it you will come out ahead 9 out of 10 times. I've never had a problem with any of my Pawn Shop game systems. I would take a $100 XBOX from a pawn shop over no $179 Xbox anyday.

Sessa17 07-28-03 03:10 PM

Re: Is it worth getting an XBox for KOTOR?

Originally posted by WildcatLH
I've resisted buying an XBox for this long. But KOTOR is really, really, really tempting me.

Is it a good enough game that I should buy a new system for it? (FWIW, I already have a PS2 and Cube... and I might actually trade the Cube in or sell it, since I rarely touch the thing...)

I think it is a simple question with a simple answer. It all comes down to how much many you make/have & how much you enjoy a game like KOTOR. I went out last week & bought an Xbox ONLY b/c of KOTOR. I make good money & I sold back a couple of games I never play just to get the price down anyway & I bought a refurbished model. Cost me about $120 all together includeing KOTOR. If you are a Star Wars fan then YES you should definitely get this game.

At first I had a bit of regret, I wasn't really into the game that much the first few hours of playing & all the loading drove me crazy. But once you get off the first planet & start becoming a Jedi, the game just becomes SO addictive. So as someone who did just what you ask, bought an Xbox just for KOTOR, I say it's worth it.

Josh H 07-28-03 03:35 PM

I would take a $100 XBOX from a pawn shop over no $179 Xbox anyday.
And I'll wait for a price drop and the piece of mind that comes with a new system.

I don't see why everyone's so concerned with who buys an X-box now, or waits anyway. What difference does it make to you? Do you guys work for MS or something?

I want to play KOTR, I don't want to pay $179 for an X-box, I don't mind waiting a while for a price drop.

I threw that out there to help the thread starter with his decision as I've already made mine. I wasn't expecting a ton of replies trying persuade me to change my mind.

Copenhagen 07-28-03 03:37 PM

Everyone justs wants you to join the "dark side" Josh ;)

sniper308 07-28-03 03:40 PM

And I'll wait for a price drop and the piece of mind that comes with a new system.

I don't see why everyone's so concerned with who buys an X-box now, or waits anyway. What difference does it make to you? Do you guys work for MS or something?

I want to play KOTR, I don't want to pay $179 for an X-box, I don't mind waiting a while for a price drop.

I through that out there to help the thread starter with his decision as I've already made mine. I wasn't expecting a ton of replies trying persuade me to change my mind.

I guess I don't think that either you or I have a valid reply as we do not have the game so cannot truly help him make the decision.

Honestly I only chimed in because you basically said no it's not worth it, but I'm not sure you have any real basis for that answer (neither do I :D)

If he had said is it worth it to buy a console for one game, (generically) then both you and I could supply an answer...