Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Is it worth getting an XBox for KOTOR?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-03, 03:44 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I chimed in because I was in the same situation as him-- really wanting to play KOTR but not having an X-box-- and decided it wasn't worth it at this time.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-28-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I chimed in because I was in the same situation as him-- really wanting to play KOTR but not having an X-box-- and decided it wasn't worth it at this time.

Just my 2 cents.
7 posts (almost 1/3) in a thread about a game you haven't played on a console you don't own. Your input is appreciated I'm sure.

Last edited by Trigger; 07-28-03 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-28-03, 04:02 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought a N64 for Goldeneye, then Perfect Dark came out and i spent $60 on that game. Buying a console for 1 good game is perfectly acceptable and KOTOR is one of those games. ESPECIALLY because theres BOUND to be other games out there you might like. If you're even considering KOTOR its because you're either a RPG fan or a Star Wars fan. This game is already one of THE best SW games and many fans of the FF series are calling it a top notch RPG also.

The PLOT to this game is better than the last 2 Star Wars movies I kid you not.

I havent been into RPG's since my Ultima days in the 80s/90s. THIS GAME is just addicting because of the great story and versitality of it. Its replayable and diverse based on how you want to play it. You'll get the most of your Xbox with this game and you know what? There might be 1 or 2 more games out there you'd like. Count on it.

Get an Xbox and KOTOR now. waiting and dragging your feet only delays the fun you could be having.
Old 07-28-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes it is worth it. I did it and have enjoyed it immensely.
Old 07-28-03, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm gonna just hold out for the PC version. I really want to play KOTR and would like an XBox but I just can't fathom buying a new console - I can't find enough time to play the GC and PS2 I already own...

The whole job thing very much interferes with game time!
Old 07-28-03, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sigh... still thinking. I'm probably going to do it. But I need to get through t ebar exam over the next 3 days (and get permission from my wife ) before I do it.

And if I do get one, I'm getting a refurb.
Old 07-28-03, 04:52 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
If you have a PC that can run it, wait for that. I broke down and got the Xbox version...its a great game, but it's riddled with bugs.

It's Xbox Live capable for downloadable content, but not for bug fixes and patches.

I plan to upgrade to the PC version when it comes out.
Old 07-28-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought an Xbox back when it was $299 just for Dead or Alive 3. I had never even heard of Halo when I bought my Xbox. Then I got Halo, along with other games and realized that although I may have initially bought the Xbox just for DOA3, all of the other great games made my sytem purchase more than worth it.

It'll probably be the same for the current situation of buying the Xbox just for KOTOR.
Old 07-28-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought an XBox just for Halo. I sold my XBox soon after I had completed Halo.
Old 07-28-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My computer's okay (2.4 GHz P4, 512 MB RAM, 128 MB GeForce 4 MX 440). It'll probably be able to run it. But I haven't played PC games in forever...

This isn't the only game I want for XBox (Halo, DOAXVB, PDO, and a few other exclusives) either.... I dunno though.
Old 07-28-03, 05:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Your computer can easily run Kotor. It will also be able to run Halo when that comes on PC.
Old 07-28-03, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by WildcatLH
This isn't the only game I want for XBox (Halo, DOAXVB, PDO, and a few other exclusives) either.... I dunno though.
This tells me that you need to go out and get an Xbox and KOTOR immediately.
Old 07-28-03, 07:12 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Groucho
Your computer can easily run Kotor. It will also be able to run Halo when that comes on PC.
By the time Halo is on PC though, Halo 2 will be out with an entirely new engine.
Old 07-28-03, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
If you have a PC that can run it, wait for that. I broke down and got the Xbox version...its a great game, but it's riddled with bugs.

It's Xbox Live capable for downloadable content, but not for bug fixes and patches.

I plan to upgrade to the PC version when it comes out.
Riddled with bugs??? I have only heard of one so far & it wasn't that big a deal. I have not seen any so far in my playing time & quite honestly, doesn't every game have some bugs to an extent?

Wildcat, just buy it. You won't regret it. Put it on a credit card. As we used to say in college..."You'll never see it."

Even if your wife does approve, she will soon be pissed at how much time you will want to spend with KOTOR over her. I spent much of Saturday evening & Sunday afternoon with KOTOR. The woman comes down looking a little peeved and simply said, "Your addicted, aren't you" and then walks back upstairs. Sure the grass needs cutting, groceries need to be bought and the wife needs some lovin', but in the end, I killed a lot of bad guys, leveled up and am working toward being a better jedi. It somehow makes it all worth it.

As for the guy who said that the story is better than the last two Star Wars movies...well...sad to say but he couldn't be more correct. But hell, Glitter was better than Attack of the Clones (although much of the dialogue was very similar).
Old 07-28-03, 08:08 PM
Retired

Damn you guys. Damn you to hell.

I had talked myself out of buying an X-box for this game (which took a good deal of effort the last time I was out shopping) which was why I was being defensive in this thread, you bastards were tempting me again.

Low and behold, there's an X-box and KOTR sitting downstairs in my apartment now.

Originally posted by brianluvdvd
You won't regret it. Put it on a credit card. As we used to say in college..."You'll never see it."
That was the exact logic I used to get my sorry, broke ass to buy it.

Originally posted by Trigger
7 posts (almost 1/3) in a thread about a game you haven't played on a console you don't own. Your input is appreciated I'm sure.
Guess you can't use the "console you don't own" retort to my criticism of MS anymore. You'll actually have to come up with something clever now.
Old 07-28-03, 08:18 PM
Mod Emeritus

Someone cue "Another one bites the dust"

Cool Josh, you have the Triad now right?
Old 07-28-03, 08:33 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Gallant Pig

Cool Josh, you have the Triad now right?
Yep, well the "quad" or whatever I guess if you count the GBA/GB Player.
Old 07-28-03, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wat to go Josh, now get off the forum and go play the damn game!
Old 07-28-03, 09:41 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He is STRONG in the force....
Old 07-29-03, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had talked myself out of buying an X-box for this game (which took a good deal of effort the last time I was out shopping) which was why I was being defensive in this thread, you bastards were tempting me again.

Low and behold, there's an X-box and KOTR sitting downstairs in my apartment now.
Shock and Awe. *checks outside for swarm of locust and sea made of blood*

Guess you can't use the "console you don't own" retort to my criticism of MS anymore. You'll actually have to come up with something clever now.
The funny thing is that you probably bought it just so you could come and bash it without me being able to say you don't own one.

Anyway - welcome to the dark side. Muahahahahaha...
Old 07-29-03, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

Wildcat, if this doesn't answer your original question, nothing will.
Old 07-29-03, 10:25 AM

I bought a factory refurbished Xbox for 149 at EB. I also bought a game, so I qualified for a 30 dollar rebate. Making my Xbox a grand total of 120.00 and it has the same guarantee as a new Xbox.
Old 07-29-03, 10:41 AM

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/sta...s_6072390.html

KOTOR sets Xbox sales records

BioWare's epic Star Wars RPG sets a new software sales record for the Xbox.

During Microsoft's recent financial analyst meeting, Robert Bach (senior vice president of Microsoft's home and entertainment division and its chief Xbox officer) stated that LucasArts and BioWare's Xbox RPG Knights of the Old Republic has set a new sales record for the console. According to Bach, the game managed to sell 250,000 copies in a span of only four days.

Bach also discussed a variety of other topics, including the impending arrival of XSN, the Xbox Live sports network that lets players form leagues and set up tournaments. He also said that the company is continuing to work with third parties to garner additional support for the system, citing games such as Counter-Strike, Rainbow Six 3, Max Payne 2, and others.

For more information on Knights of the Old Republic, check out our full review of the game.

By Giancarlo Varanini, GameSpot [POSTED: 07/25/03 04:07 PM]

Chris
Old 07-29-03, 01:50 PM

Well i have all 3 systems and i can say i usually buy a system for one game i really want. As far as KOTR its a hell of a game and as for waiting for the pc version i say it depends. It will prob have better graphics but on the other hand I am playin in the comfort of my livin room and on my HT in full DD Bliss!
Old 07-29-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ugabuga
Well i have all 3 systems and i can say i usually buy a system for one game i really want. As far as KOTR its a hell of a game and as for waiting for the pc version i say it depends. It will prob have better graphics but on the other hand I am playin in the comfort of my livin room and on my HT in full DD Bliss!
[broken record]I have incredible 5.1 speakers on my pc and my desk chair is more comfy than my couch[/broken record]

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.