Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Nintendo has listened! 1080: Avalanche gets overhauled!!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-24-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The general consensus at the Cube Clubs was that this game was pretty awful. And even though I didn't play it, I could definitely see it in the video's that were posted, and was disappointed because I loved 1080 on the N64.

Well, the latest word from IGN is that Nintendo has taken in the feedback from the Cube Clubs and E3 and have completely overhauled the game. They stated that the game is not the same game that was at the Cube Club and were very impressed, here's the highlights:

-The game is much faster and has a sense of speed now.
-The graphics and textures have been improved and polished, as have the improved lighting effects.
-The game is running at 60 FPS.
-The weird pie bar jumping meter has been removed.
-Pretty much every single aspect from the icons to the racer models to the controls have been tweaked.

And apparently they have been still making tweaks to the game. Anyone else excited about this one? I still remember trying over and over and finally pulling off a 1080 in the original on the halfpipe. I wasn't too interested from the movies before but now I'm getting excited. The game is sounding promising, and since I loved the original I hope this one turns out awesome.
Old 07-24-03, 05:09 PM

Good. When I was at a Cube club I gave them a nice list of things to work on, (they actually wrote the stuff down on some forms). Seems that Nintendo took everyone's comments to heart.
Old 07-24-03, 08:53 PM
Suspended

I heard the new title is 1080: Tricky.
Old 07-24-03, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is why Nintendo is the best publisher in the business. They will delay a title until its ready or scap it altogether.

If 1080 was being published by Acclaim, Infogrames, Microsoft, or lately even Sega it would have been released as is and it would have sucked.

Props for Nintendo for spending more money to try and release the best version possible.
Old 07-24-03, 09:17 PM
Mod Emeritus

Cool, hopefully they'll be adding online play to it.
Old 07-24-03, 09:39 PM

heh, don't hope for things to which you already know the answer to .

The game itself is being developed by NST I think, and was supposed to come out last year. The only bad thing IGN said was that compared to the original, the controls of doing the tricks were a bit different. There's no way to tell how this game will turn out seeing how much its been changed, but it's sounding pretty good. Hopefully they'll be getting the final version soon so they can give us an idea of what we'll be playing.
Old 07-24-03, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So how do you sign up to go to a Cube Club?
Old 07-24-03, 09:57 PM

They had them last year in various cities, mostly the big ones like New York, LA, in different states. If they do it again you'll probably hear about it not only on the board but at pretty much every gaming site out there, but I don't think they're going to do it for awhile. They had tickets on the website if I remember, and if you went I heard they had free beer too.
Old 07-24-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

and if you went I heard they had free beer too.
Yes they did. Yes they did indeed.

Old 07-24-03, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by darkside
This is why Nintendo is the best publisher in the business. They will delay a title until its ready or scap it altogether.

If 1080 was being published by Acclaim, Infogrames, Microsoft, or lately even Sega it would have been released as is and it would have sucked.

Props for Nintendo for spending more money to try and release the best version possible.
I'm sure the original leader of Crimson Skies that we all saw get shot down on the Discovery Channel last month would disagree with Microsoft being included on your list.
Old 07-24-03, 11:51 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Outlaw
heh, don't hope for things to which you already know the answer to .

The game itself is being developed by NST I think, and was supposed to come out last year. The only bad thing IGN said was that compared to the original, the controls of doing the tricks were a bit different. There's no way to tell how this game will turn out seeing how much its been changed, but it's sounding pretty good. Hopefully they'll be getting the final version soon so they can give us an idea of what we'll be playing.
A guy can wish