Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Are You Playing Too Much KOTOR?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-03, 02:24 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are You Playing Too Much KOTOR?

I haven't shaved in days. I have bags under my eyes. My wife is getting pissed.

I think the problem is that I'm spending way too much time deciding on my attributes/skills/powers.

You SW geeks have probably seen this...

Here's what happens when you play too much KOTOR:

http://rope.92kqrs.com/waxy/Star_Wars_Kid.wmv

Go here to see all the parodies:

http://www.jedimaster.net/

Last edited by dgc; 07-21-03 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-21-03, 02:28 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Are You Playing Too Much KOTOR?

Originally posted by dgc
I think the problem is that I'm spending way too much time deciding on my attributes/skills/powers.
I have the same problem. In fact, I haven't even started the game...too busy fine tuning my character!
Old 07-21-03, 02:42 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My girlfriend is pissed, and im blowing off doing dishes, and laundry but what else is new.

Sad thing is Im already planning how Id do things differently the second time through.

KEEP IN MIND -- You can only have 20 LEVELS for your character.

Non-Jedi Levels + Jedi Levels THATS IT! Plan your levels wisely young jedi.

If you're a level 9 scout you can ONLY gain 11 more levels as a jedi!
Old 07-21-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Save Ferris
My girlfriend is pissed, and im blowing off doing dishes, and laundry but what else is new.

Sad thing is Im already planning how Id do things differently the second time through.

KEEP IN MIND -- You can only have 20 LEVELS for your character.

Non-Jedi Levels + Jedi Levels THATS IT! Plan your levels wisely young jedi.

If you're a level 9 scout you can ONLY gain 11 more levels as a jedi!
I'm also thinking of how I'm going to do things differently the second time through. I wonder if it's possible to not level up before you become a Jedi. If not then figure out a way to keep the level-ups to a minimum so I can maximize my Jedi prowess.

I'm not playing too much because I'm at work. If I called in sick to play then I would say it's too much.
Old 07-21-03, 03:27 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I called in sick last friday to sit around and play this game. im sick alright.
Old 07-21-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
We need to come up with a DVDtalk Light/Dark side guide. I am already planning my second and third characters.
Old 07-21-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Okay...now i am confused. Are you not supposed to level up when you get the points? I have been auto leveling up everytime I finally go over the current threshold. I thought that was a good thing??? I am a RPG newbie.
Old 07-21-03, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by brianluvdvd
Okay...now i am confused. Are you not supposed to level up when you get the points? I have been auto leveling up everytime I finally go over the current threshold. I thought that was a good thing??? I am a RPG newbie.
I believe you should level up when you have enough XP. What I'm referring to is the level cap. The highest level you can attain is level 20. This includes your Jedi levels + your standard levels. So, I'm thinking that if you can try to get as few XP as possible before you become a Jedi you will have access to higher Jedi levels and powers.
Old 07-21-03, 05:35 PM

Hey look if you have time to be posting here, you're not playing enough, be weary of the regular posters that haven't been here in a while......

Oh and I'm actually different from you guys, I don't know, I just play in little chunks and play a 30min slot here and there....
Old 07-21-03, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My problem isn't planning out my character. I gave up on that cause it was soooo much to take in. I just decided to add to what looks good. My problem is that I'm trying to do every single quest. I never have a good stopping point because I want to keep going just a little bit more and complete the current quests. I think I played for about 8 hours yesterday. It's tough work being a Jedi.
Old 07-22-03, 06:24 AM

You can only go to level 20? I'm already Level 10 soldier and I'm still onTaris.
Old 07-22-03, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

20?? thats pretty lame, I'm level 12 as of last night! Not a very long game methinks.
Old 07-22-03, 06:53 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

its as long as you want it to be but the cap is 20 levels total. You just stop leveling. Theres still tons to do. Its probabally best to become a Jedi at around level 6-8 so you can start spending your skill points on Jedi skills and getting more force powers.
Old 07-22-03, 07:31 AM

How do you become a Jedi so soon? Or do you not just do all the side quests. I'll probably hit level 20 before I'm done the second world that kinda sucks
Old 07-22-03, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
So what are your options? I'm still wandering about on Taris, but I'm now a level 6. That's on odd way to structure an RPG of this type.

Although I'm prety close to finishing things up as far as the main quest, there are still a few of the side quests I'd like to finish too. Seems like this level up system discourages exploration.
Old 07-22-03, 08:10 AM

I'm still working on creating my first character. Hmm...Toughness or Two-Weapon Fighting...decisions/decisions.
Old 07-22-03, 08:26 AM

Groucho I'll be getting this very soon and I feel your pain. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to go through what you're going through again.

I spent at least 2 days figuring out what character I wanted to be and restarting the game many times on Morrowind
Old 07-22-03, 08:36 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

OK, first of all, you dont HAVE to level up when it says you reached the required points--you can 'store up' your xp.

It might be annoying to see that it keeps telling you that you CAN level up but you can save the levelups for when you want to advance. One level at a time or all at once.

For example, your entire party shares xp. Because you can only take 2 party members with you each time you might be leveling up 2 characters and neglect the rest. So, whenever you take a slightly unused character out of your ship he might have 2 or 3 levels to jump up to catch up with you. You can level him up one at a time and pick his skills as you like.

The developers said they dont want this to be 'that kind of game' where you can wander around becoming a super powerful 100 level Jedi and kill all the bad guys so easily. the bad guys cant go over level 20 either so its fair

Last edited by Save Ferris; 07-22-03 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-22-03, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by kegman
How do you become a Jedi so soon? Or do you not just do all the side quests. I'll probably hit level 20 before I'm done the second world that kinda sucks
I find that hard to belive. I did every side quest and hit level 20 as I was coming up on the final area. Worked out perfectly. Since very few of the monsters respawn, and those that do don't give much XP, there is only so much XP in the game. So as long as you aren't hanging around killing the same group of monsters over and over again, if you do all of the side quests you should reach level 20 just before the end.

As for when to become a jedi; I think level 8 is the best. Feat and skill progression will slow down, so you want a balance there. This might not apply to other classes, but if you are going the route of soldier/jedi guardian: soldiers get a feat every level, guardians get one every other level. You get a feat at level 8, become a Jedi upping you to level 9 right there, giving you another feat. If you waitied to become a jedi at level 9 you still got that feat as a soldier, but you missed out on any force powers you would have gotten as a Jedi.

Hopefully I was clear on that, and somebody actually cares
Old 07-22-03, 02:42 PM

Bear in mind that as you rise in level, it takes much longer to reach the next point. The XP requirements between level 1 and 2 are practically non-existant compared to the XP requirements to go from 19 to 20.