Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Metroid Fusion - ARGH!

Old 07-14-03, 09:50 AM

Metroid Fusion - ARGH!

Anyone else find the later part of this game REALLY frustrating?
It went from pretty easy to frustratingly difficult in a matter of minutes - once you have to reactivate the power I found that it just get's needlessly hard - many places you have to play over and over until you figure out what happened and don't make a mistake - and boss's that are much harder than the early ones.

I think I am pretty far along - just starting fighting Nightmare (another annoyingly hard boss imho).. Anyone else find this game frustrating in the later half, or have I just lost my touch with Metroid?
Old 07-14-03, 11:35 AM
Retired

Nightmare sucks. I started the "Most annoying boss battle?" thread just because of him.

He's really the only part of the game I found overly hard though, and that's just because it's cheap.
Old 07-14-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is Nightmare the big spider? Took me months to beat that, other than that a pretty easy game.
Old 07-14-03, 03:11 PM
Retired

No, I thought the spider was pretty easy.

Nightmare was the giant thing that flies around fairly randomly. In the first part of the battle you have to get underneath him and shoot at him while he uses this thing that slows everythign down, then you have to dodge him and hang on the side wall and shoot him in the head with charge beam shots.

The problem is that he's huge and tough to dodge because there's no pattern and when he goes off the screen you just have to pretty much guess where he'll come back at to be able to dodge him.

It's the definition of "cheap."
Old 07-14-03, 03:17 PM

Nightmare is cheap (just trying to get in that little space underneath to take out the energy generator is so annoying). But the tree/plant boss was so annoying because you had to dodge all those little bullets in the air from the plants or else you would get knocked into the plants that would hold you in while trying to avoid the beams from the tree itself. That was just plain aggravating.. Not to mention having to run away from SA-X in what was a total trial and error until you memorized how to get away from him..

It just struck me so clearly that the game went from fun to annoying very fast - the cheap factor is through the roof now based on how many times I have had to reload in just the last hour or so of play.

How close it Nightmare to the end of the game?
Old 07-14-03, 04:05 PM
Retired

Nightmare is probably the 75-80% mark.
Old 07-14-03, 09:44 PM

I hated the double boss fight at the end. I wish you could save between them.
Old 07-15-03, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

complain complain complain........

It really isn't that "cheap" most of the deaths that happened to me was because of it being difficult. I just kept trying and eventually beat it.

I think Met Fusion is just the right difficulty level for the type of game. Sometimes I think that games are too easy nowadays.

Now beating it AND getting a good time that is really difficult.
Old 07-15-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't remember the bosses in Metroid Fusion being all that hard... even Nightmare, though I may have just gotten lucky. There is a trick to that plant guy, though i don't remember what it was... you have to stand in a certain place, though.

The frustrating times for me were trying to figure out where to go, especially if I dropped the game for a while. I also didn't realize that that stinking SA-X is not only invincible in the beginning, it'll kill you in only a couple of hits.

As long as you get most of the available energy tanks, most bosses aren't that hard. Of course, if you miss a few, that ramps up the difficulty significanty.
Old 07-15-03, 10:52 AM

I got frustrated trying to beat SA-X when you finally get to fight her. I put the game down and haven't played it since. I'll probably pick it up again eventually.
Old 07-15-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by tanman
Now beating it AND getting a good time that is really difficult.
1 Hour and 50 Minutes
Old 07-15-03, 01:38 PM
Retired

Originally posted by tanman

I think Met Fusion is just the right difficulty level for the type of game. Sometimes I think that games are too easy nowadays.
I agree. With the exception of Nightmare, who is just cheap. Some of other bosses are hard, but they have patterns, safe places to stand, etc. and once you figure these out you win. But with Nightmare, there is no clear pattern, no safe places to stand, it's just a matter of getting lucky and dodging him enough when he's flying around randomly so that he dies before you. It's basically just a crap shoot, which is a shame because the rest of the game is so well done.
Old 07-16-03, 11:02 PM

This actually is my favorite game for GBA. And yes it sure is challenging. But unlike a lot of players, I don't have much time in my hand, and am not real good at games as well. So I compensate by downloading walkthroughs for most of my games (gamefaq is a good source). It sure keeps the frustration level lower. When its getting real tough and I just want to get over the level, I read through the walkthrough, to get to understand what I need to do, and then work my way through it. I figure this better than using cheats. I then get to have a chance to play the next few levels fairly again, until the next stumper! This works for me. Different strokes for different folks!
Old 07-18-03, 02:58 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

has anyone gotten 100% of the energy,bombs,missiles. i really think some of them are impossible to get
Old 07-18-03, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got 100% on my first run but it took me well over 10 hours to find them all.

It's easier on the 2nd run because there's a tally for missles, bombs, and energy tanks in each area
Old 07-21-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by diespine
has anyone gotten 100% of the energy,bombs,missiles. i really think some of them are impossible to get

I found them but I used gamefaqs.com.

Those quest hunting things are the things that i really don't have patience for so GF (gamefaqs not girlfriend) comes in handy. It took me ten hours as well.
Old 07-21-03, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You know what?

This game is A LOT easier on the gameboy player. Playing on the tv and a wavebird makes this game a lot more playable. I'm getting through spots I struggled with before, without any big problem now.