Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

I have found the game that will make me buy a PS2! (GT4)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I have found the game that will make me buy a PS2! (GT4)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Here's what I'm picking up. After this, I'll lay low for awhile while I play them

Gran Turismo 3
Seek and Destroy
Road Trip

Yeah, GT 4 is coming up, but I thought this would be a $20 test drive (no pun intended) and if I like it I paid $20 for over 5 months of play before 4 is out.

Those three should run $50 total.

I'm mostly into RPGs and these are some I've gathered from here (along with non-RPGs) as games to own:
Dark Cloud 2 (RPG)
TimeSplitters 2
Midnight Club 2
Dynasty Warriors
Contra: SS
Madden
Winning Side Eleven 6
SSX
Twisted Metal Black
Ace Combat 4
Amplitude
Sly Cooper
ICO
Ratchet & Clank
Burnout
Spider-Man
Metal Gear Solid 2
Splinter Cell
The Thing
Tony Hawk 3
Gran Turismo 3
SOCOM
Mark of Kri

RPGs
Xenosaga
Dark Cloud 2
Suikoden III
.hack
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
Wild Arms 3
Everquest: Online Adventures
Old 06-30-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Dark Cloud 2 (RPG) - don't know
TimeSplitters 2 - NO
Midnight Club 2 - supposed to be good
Dynasty Warriors - DW3 is good DW4 is prolly good
Contra: SS - ?
Madden - not into sports
Winning Side Eleven 6 - ?
SSX - fun
Twisted Metal Black - good
Ace Combat 4 - ?
Amplitude - YES!!!!!
Sly Cooper - ?
ICO - YES!!!!!!
Ratchet & Clank - ?
Burnout - no... Burnout 2
Spider-Man - Eh - it's okay.
Metal Gear Solid 2 - Bad story, decent gameplay (what little there is)
Splinter Cell - YES (although I never played the PS2 version)
The Thing - YES - (never played PS2 version)
Tony Hawk 3 - YES!!! 2 also
Gran Turismo 3 - YUP
SOCOM - it's okay
Mark of Kri - Kinda lame - rental at best
Old 06-30-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 196 Likes on 169 Posts
GatorDeb, read the FAQ about the Best Buy $5 Gamer gift cards. You can pick up all GH titles for $15 with the coupon.

Also, get SSX Tricky, not SSX.
Old 06-30-03, 01:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dark Cloud 2 (RPG) - Never Played
TimeSplitters 2 - Not a fan
Midnight Club 2 - GT series only for me
Dynasty Warriors - Not a fan
Contra: SS - Stick with NES version
Madden - YES!
Winning Side Eleven 6 - Heard nothing but good things
SSX - Get 'Tricky' Version
Twisted Metal Black - Not a fan
Ace Combat 4 - Not a fan
Amplitude - Its better than crack. YES! See you online.
Sly Cooper - Short but Great!
ICO - YES!
Ratchet & Clank - YES! also check out Jak and Daxter
Burnout - Never played
Spider-Man - Cool title
Metal Gear Solid 2 - Gameplay is amazing. Didn't like the end.
Splinter Cell - Cool title
The Thing - Never played
Tony Hawk 3 - Great title!
Gran Turismo 3 - Best racing game ever ('til GT4)
SOCOM - YES!
Mark of Kri - On 'to play' list

Also, you might want to check out Devil May Cry and Silent Hill 2. They may not be your style though.
Old 06-30-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ~~ PAL ~~
GatorDeb, read the FAQ about the Best Buy $5 Gamer gift cards. You can pick up all GH titles for $15 with the coupon.

Also, get SSX Tricky, not SSX.
If I am correct it comes in the CD-shaped giftcard with the green backing, correct?
Old 06-30-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok I've ended the buying streak. I can't buy any more games for five more weeks

I got at Best Buy the following for $117.91 tax included (I ended up using 4 of the $5 off coupons):

PS2:
Gran Turismo 3 $14.99 ($19.99 - $5 off)
Road Trip $14.99
Seek and Destroy $9.99

GBA:
Golden Sun: The Lost Age $24.99 ($29.99 - $5 off)
Wario Ware, Inc $24.99 ($29.99 - $5 off)
Advanced Wars 2: Black Hole Rising $19.99 ($24.99 - $5 off)

I read about Road Trip and Seek and Destroy in GMR magazine, which is the freebie subscription for joining the EBGames Gamer's Club. It gave it high marks, so we'll see.

This is my first time using those coupons and I'm very happy
Old 06-30-03, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 196 Likes on 169 Posts
Originally posted by GatorDeb
If I am correct it comes in the CD-shaped giftcard with the green backing, correct?
Yes.
Old 06-30-03, 04:18 PM
Mod Emeritus

Some of the stuff you're buying would be better on your Xbox or GameCube.
Old 06-30-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the stuff I've bought was mostly PS2 exclusive? Kingdom Hearts, Gran Turismo 3, Seek and Destroy, Road Trip, GTA: VC, and FFX?

Last edited by GatorDeb; 06-30-03 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-30-03, 04:37 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Some of the stuff you're buying would be better on your Xbox or GameCube.

Thanks again for another useless comment.
Old 06-30-03, 05:00 PM

How is it useless if the other versions of some of the listed games are superior elsewhere, and she does indeed own both the Xbox and Gamecube?
Old 06-30-03, 05:31 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mr.snowmizer
How is it useless if the other versions of some of the listed games are superior elsewhere, and she does indeed own both the Xbox and Gamecube?
This thread is about games for the PS2, not a comparison between games on different platforms. Being that GatorDeb owns all three consoles, I am sure she is well aware that some games exist on multiple platforms. Because the comment was off topic, it is threadcrapping. Hense why I said it was useless.
Old 06-30-03, 09:24 PM

Why would you be so sure she's well aware?

She has an Xbox that she never uses and a Gamecube, but NOW she's interested in TimeSplitters 2, Midnight Club 2, Dynasty Warriors, Madden, SSX, Burnout, Spider-Man, Metal Gear Solid 2, Splinter Cell, The Thing, and Tony Hawk 3?

If she's asking about these games, it's hardly useless to say, "Well, for this game, you probably want the X version. For this, consider the Y version."
Old 06-30-03, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I didn't know she had an Xbox - hell yeah all those games are better on the Xbox... duh. For that matter - some of those games are also on the PC and are better on that.
Old 06-30-03, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, that list was compiled from threads here and listed what members here thought were good games to pick up.
Old 06-30-03, 11:01 PM
Banned

Why would you be so sure she's well aware?

She has an Xbox that she never uses and a Gamecube, but NOW she's interested in TimeSplitters 2, Midnight Club 2, Dynasty Warriors, Madden, SSX, Burnout, Spider-Man, Metal Gear Solid 2, Splinter Cell, The Thing, and Tony Hawk 3?

If she's asking about these games, it's hardly useless to say, "Well, for this game, you probably want the X version. For this, consider the Y version."
Because there was no mention that those games would all be purchased for the PS2. They were only games that she was looking into getting. You and Gallent Pig assumed that she did in order to justify crapping on this thread. How juvenile.
Old 06-30-03, 11:11 PM
Mod Emeritus

Josh, take a chill pill.

I wasn't sure if Deb knew that Splinter Cell was better on Xbox or not, but I saw it lumped in a list with lots of PS2 games and it looked like she was going to get it on PS2. Deb seems like an enthusiastic gamer who is just getting into the hobby, and might not know every in and out of which games are best on which systems. A good list indeed, but why not take advantage of the console she already owned when it offered the superior versions?

Not a thread crap at all, but that's fine if you see it that way, I see this more about Deb than the PS2 and was just throwing her a bit of advice.

I happen to respect all consoles, since I own each one, and each one definitely has its advantages and disadvantages.

Edit:
Actually not just SC, look at Mr. Snowmizer's list for a complete list of what to get for Xbox.

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 06-30-03 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-01-03, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by joshd2012
This thread is about games for the PS2, not a comparison between games on different platforms...

Originally posted by joshd2012
Because there was no mention that those games would all be purchased for the PS2. They were only games that she was looking into getting. You and Gallent Pig assumed that she did in order to justify crapping on this thread. How juvenile.

Maybe when you can go through a thread without contradicting yourself (here) or splitting hairs so finely that you think you look like you know what you're talking about (class action suit exists in faulty PS2 thread), then you won't be the juvenile one when it comes to talking about Sony.

Plus, if there's ever a case of thread-crapping being in the eye of the beholder, this is it. If GatorDeb thinks I was guilty of thread crapping earlier, I'd be stunned.

But I'm not the least surprised someone who says "I'm glad {defined as 'experiencing or exhibiting joy and pleasure' at dictionary.com} you have found a game which will finally pursued you to purchase a PS2" thinks it. Most people here honestly don't care one way or the other what decision someone makes, but it brings you joy, apparently, that a PS2 was purchased.

Last edited by mr.snowmizer; 07-01-03 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-01-03, 10:35 AM

By the way, this thread is just another example of the common sense advice I gave GatorDeb last year [ http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=257169 ].

My GC is on the UPS truck now on the way to me My question is, should I buy an XBOX and PlayStation 2? The only reasons I was going to buy the PS2 were Vice City and Kingdom Hearts. Is Kingdom Hearts going to come to the GameCube anytime soon? And upon thinking about Vice City isn't the point to shoot people and deal drugs? So it doesn't seem like the kind of game I would enjoy (I was buying it more on hype, like I buy DVDs such as Band of Brothers). Nothing else really excites me.

The GameCube on the other hand... ohh boy... Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Super Monkey Ball, Super Mario Party, Harry Potter, and the list goes and on.

Nothing really excites me on the XBOX either, but for $30 you get the official magazine and 12 DVDs full of demos and you can pay for online access to stuff.

I just wanted the freedom to buy whichever game was best instead of being tied to a console.

So is the freedom worth an extra $450 for the two consoles? (after tax and an extra $20 game that I get FAR).

I'm always amazed by this question, whether it's 'Should I buy Game X...?" or "Should I buy System X...?".

My reaction always is "No, don't buy anything."

In my eyes, buying a system or game should be a no-brainer. You're either excited about something or you're not. A product as fun as a game (or console) should overwhelm you with the thought of how much enjoyment you and your family could have.

If that's missing, and you have to rationalize this would-be purchase too much, just wait until things become more clear.
See. I was concerned for her back then. My advice was to not do anything. Now, she paid for an Xbox she never plays.

And I'm concerned for her now. Don't buy inferior versions of games you're interested in, if you have all three systems. And certainly don't be swayed by those with some sort of agenda.

Last edited by mr.snowmizer; 07-01-03 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-01-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mr. Snowmizer that's exactly what the XBOX does, sit there collection dust. I am having so much fun with the PS2 that I can't believe I left it for last. I guess $600 every 3-4 years for the freedom to play the best games is not so bad in the grand scheme of things.

The list were not games I was thinking of buying but a list of games I culled from past PS2 threads. I own TimeSplitters for GC, for example, so I wouldn't buy it again. The RPGs I do plan on buying, though. I hear the PS2 is the RPG console

I have six games so far: Kingdom Hearts, FFX, GTA:VC, GT III, Seek and Destroy, and Road Trip. I believe all six are PS2-only at the moment. Funny that seven months ago I wanted the same games I bought first - Kingdom Hearts and GTA: VC.

I started a thread on different versions of games and which to buy

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=302537
Old 07-01-03, 12:36 PM
Banned

Maybe when you can go through a thread without contradicting yourself (here) or splitting hairs so finely that you think you look like you know what you're talking about (class action suit exists in faulty PS2 thread), then you won't be the juvenile one when it comes to talking about Sony.

Plus, if there's ever a case of thread-crapping being in the eye of the beholder, this is it. If GatorDeb thinks I was guilty of thread crapping earlier, I'd be stunned.

But I'm not the least surprised someone who says "I'm glad {defined as 'experiencing or exhibiting joy and pleasure' at dictionary.com} you have found a game which will finally pursued you to purchase a PS2" thinks it. Most people here honestly don't care one way or the other what decision someone makes, but it brings you joy, apparently, that a PS2 was purchased.
Yes, I did contradict myself there. Doing too many things at once has its flaws. And if by "splitting hairs" you mean "presenting the facts", then yes, I do that too. Don't be bitter that I proved you wrong.

It is because people like you who continually bad mouth the PS2 which feeds the general masses into thinking negatively about it. As GatorDeb said, the employee where she got the console said it would break eventually. That is simply not true (for a ten year life span). It is because of people like you who feed the fire that common consumers believe this as fact. I don't care what you say about the PS2, or any other console for that matter, but you can sure as hell expect me to chime in!
Old 07-01-03, 03:10 PM

Nice apology, kid.

I'm not surprised coming from someone who throws out terms like "liar" and the particularly classless "retard" around so easily.

Time to finally break out this forum's 'Ignore User' option. Have fun contradicting yourself and insulting others all you want... just keep living up to the motto, 'Irrationality in the defense of the Playstation2 is no vice'.

Last edited by mr.snowmizer; 07-01-03 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-04-03, 09:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read about Road Trip and Seek and Destroy in GMR magazine, which is the freebie subscription for joining the EBGames Gamer's Club. It gave it high marks, so we'll see.
Heh, me too. That little blurb in GMR about both of those games made me want to buy them too, so I did. I haven't played them yet though. You can't go wrong with two good games for $25 ($15 for Road Trip, $10 for Seek and Destroy).
Old 07-04-03, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ICO
You should DEFINITELY pick this up. Do NOT hesitate. Trust me! (Plus, it's cheap enough.)
The Thing
Mark of Kri
You might want to head over to Best Buy again. They have Mark of Kri for $10 (mere months after I bought it USED for $15 - hmph!) and The Thing for $15.