Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I think my ps2 is dying

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-03, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think my ps2 is dying

It doesn't play some dvd's....it just reads the disk for a bit then says read error or somthing. Now its starting to happen on the game disks too, I just tried to play amplitude and it wouldn't load.
a few minutes later it worked fine

whats the deal? anybody?
Old 06-26-03, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think you are right.
Old 06-26-03, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Even if its out of warranty you can try calling Sony. PS2 units do this so often they may fix it out of warranty. You can also take it apart and try cleaning the laser with a slighty damp q-tip.

I got tired of my PS2 and traded it in at EB for $100. Worst made console in the history of gaming.
Old 06-26-03, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by darkside
Worst made console in the history of gaming.
Old 06-26-03, 11:05 PM
Banned

Here is a revolutionary idea: try cleaning it!

I know, it sounds far fetched, but cleaning a PS2 can make it come back to life (even though, it was never dying in the first place).

Remove the case. Remove the plastic piece over the DVD tray. Clean lens. Reassemble. Problem solved in 5 minutes.
Old 06-27-03, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've heard that there's a class action suit against Sony because of how bad the console is made. Very sad indeed. I got rid of mine for $100 as well.
Old 06-27-03, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by joshd2012
Here is a revolutionary idea: try cleaning it!

I know, it sounds far fetched, but cleaning a PS2 can make it come back to life (even though, it was never dying in the first place).

Remove the case. Remove the plastic piece over the DVD tray. Clean lens. Reassemble. Problem solved in 5 minutes.
How can you say that it is not dying when the thing will not play most dvds, and a lot of the newer games? To me that is the sign of a system dying. It is a game console that was made very poorly IMHO. I have had to take mine apart three times now to clean the laser. I do not have to do this for any of my DVD players, and you can be assured that they see much more use then my PS2 does.
Old 06-27-03, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by tjr2mental
How can you say that it is not dying when the thing will not play most dvds, and a lot of the newer games? To me that is the sign of a system dying. It is a game console that was made very poorly IMHO. I have had to take mine apart three times now to clean the laser. I do not have to do this for any of my DVD players, and you can be assured that they see much more use then my PS2 does.
Well one thing you have to also remember is that the PS2 has a fan built into and your DVD players do not ( most players I have seen do not have a fan anyway). This fan draws in air to cool the internal components. And as a result it also draws in what ever dirt or dust that's in the air. If you put your hand in front of the disc tray when it's open, you'll actually feel the flow of air coming out of it.

Try a DVD cleaner. They're about $10. From what I've read on the Playstation.com forums they work pretty well. If you're not willing to take a chance on a DVD cleaner then call Sony.
Old 06-27-03, 09:14 AM

go to www.gamefaqs.com. they have a great FAQ on the "disc read error" problem.
Old 06-27-03, 10:05 AM
Banned

Originally posted by tenaciousdave
I've heard that there's a class action suit against Sony because of how bad the console is made. Very sad indeed. I got rid of mine for $100 as well.
Nice rumor. But not true.

The system is not dying, it is only dirty. When you are designing a console in an ultra-clean environment, you are not concerned about dust being blown onto the lens by the cooling fan. Unfortunately for those of you who don't regularly clean, this means that dust is being blown onto your PS2's lens. With dust on the lens, it has an extremely had time reading disc of any kind, and gets worse over time. All you have to do is clean the lens, and your PS2 will play disc like it is brand new again. A simple 5 minute process to get your PS2 working again.
Old 06-27-03, 04:45 PM

There's a site just for these kind of problems.

http://pub49.ezboard.com/fthepsxwork...icID=185.topic

Here's the home page:

http://pub49.ezboard.com/bthepsxworkshop

good luck
Old 06-27-03, 07:56 PM

Thanks for the linkage people!

No way I'm going to sell it with all the games I have for it now
Old 06-28-03, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by tenaciousdave
Amen, GC never breaks when compared to PS2 or x-box, those lens readings are just too sticky. Thats why its my firm belief that GC will outlive the other two (not trying to bash, it is just my scientific opinion)
Old 06-28-03, 12:59 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Could we please stop this annoying console comparisons?
The question is about his PS2 and not Xbox or GC.

Last edited by vhgong; 06-28-03 at 01:12 AM.
Old 06-28-03, 02:10 AM

Nice rumor. But not true.
http://www.sheller.com/sonyPS2classaction.html
Old 06-28-03, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Don't open the case - just call Sony - we sent my roommate's in to Sony and they fixed it for free out of warranty.
Old 06-28-03, 10:39 AM
Banned

Originally posted by mr.snowmizer
Thanks that was hilarious.

This consumer class action was filed on July 3, 2002
[sarcasm]Looks like an open and shut case to me. That thing is just flying through the legal system[/sarcasm]

Okay, seriously, good luck to them trying to prove anything at all was different about the PS2 than any other console. I hope Sony counter sues (is that possible in a class action?) and tears them a new one.
Old 06-28-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 06-28-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've had my PS2 since December, 2000 and I've never had a problem with it. Just lucky?
Old 06-28-03, 10:58 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Alvis
I've had my PS2 since December, 2000 and I've never had a problem with it. Just lucky?
No. You probably just treat it correctly. I have had mine since April 2001 and had to clean it a few months ago. Why? Well, it sits in a TV cabinet which never gets cleaned, so all it does is suck dust into the system whenever I use it. Wasn't a big deal to clean it, and I'll probably do it again when I move out and get my own place. I have treated the system relatively rough, and it has been a diehard for me.
Old 06-28-03, 01:26 PM

Thanks that was hilarious.

[sarcasm]Looks like an open and shut case to me. That thing is just flying through the legal system[/sarcasm]

Okay, seriously, good luck to them trying to prove anything at all was different about the PS2 than any other console. I hope Sony counter sues (is that possible in a class action?) and tears them a new one.
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news03/playstation.html = a May 19, 2003 story

http://www.turnto10.com/consumerunit...tml?story=2232 = a May 15, 2003 story

Feel free to look for more yourself about this "rumor" about 'dirty PS2s'.

Meanwhile, the rest of the gameplaying public knows there's a problem with PS2s. The console ranks up with the original Playstation and the Dreamcast in the "Least Durable" category.

Too bad Sony wasn't stung at all by denying the PSX's problems. Then this might not even be an issue.
Old 06-28-03, 02:17 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
And who was it that said PS2's don't break down often? Hmm
Old 06-28-03, 04:54 PM
Banned

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news03/playstation.html = a May 19, 2003 story

http://www.turnto10.com/consumerunit...tml?story=2232 = a May 15, 2003 story

Feel free to look for more yourself about this "rumor" about 'dirty PS2s'.

Meanwhile, the rest of the gameplaying public knows there's a problem with PS2s. The console ranks up with the original Playstation and the Dreamcast in the "Least Durable" category.

Too bad Sony wasn't stung at all by denying the PSX's problems. Then this might not even be an issue.
*Sigh* That's great, just post news links which talk about the same suit. Very supportive. Anyway, this lawsuit is because they claim that the PS2 DVD player isn't up to par with other DVD Players, not that it is a bad unit (try reading next time). That link you posted has this nice quote:

The spokeswoman also said the representative plaintiff in the suit testified he never experienced game problems or a "disc read error."
If you open up your Sony PlayStation 2 User Manual, you will notice that it has tons of notices and warnings that the PS2 may not be able to play certain DVDs or incorporate certain features. Of all the DVDs I have owned or borrowed, I have only had problems with one DVD. I have a fairly large collection, larger than most PS2 owners. If I only came across one DVD, how could they possibly come across enough DVDs which didn't work to file a lawsuit. That is why I laugh. I shall do it again.
Old 06-28-03, 06:11 PM

*Sigh* That's great, just post news links which talk about the same suit. Very supportive. Anyway, this lawsuit is because they claim that the PS2 DVD player isn't up to par with other DVD Players, not that it is a bad unit (try reading next time). That link you posted has this nice quote:

If you open up your Sony PlayStation 2 User Manual, you will notice that it has tons of notices and warnings that the PS2 may not be able to play certain DVDs or incorporate certain features. Of all the DVDs I have owned or borrowed, I have only had problems with one DVD. I have a fairly large collection, larger than most PS2 owners. If I only came across one DVD, how could they possibly come across enough DVDs which didn't work to file a lawsuit. That is why I laugh. I shall do it again.
You ever think maybe I added these additional links because you were too busy laughing at the July 2002 dateline of the original, as if that supported the idea that it's just a "rumor"?

Given your inability to ascertain an objective fact (class-action lawsuit exists), I don't think you'll be called as a witness for Sony's defense about something as subjective as the quality of PS2 workmanship, should it ever get to trial.

But feel free to keep bumping this thread. Most people who clearly don't know what they're talking about prefer to let a thread die away, but this way, the rest of us get to laugh, as well.
Old 06-28-03, 06:24 PM

*Sigh* That's great, just post news links which talk about the same suit. Very supportive. Anyway, this lawsuit is because they claim that the PS2 DVD player isn't up to par with other DVD Players, not that it is a bad unit (try reading next time).
By the way, perhaps you should try reading the class action home page...

The Complaint alleges that Sony Computer Entertainment America, Inc., marketed and promoted the PlayStation 2 unit-which was designed to function both as a game system and a DVD movie player-as a reliable and adequate DVD player when, in fact, the DVD player component suffers from a number of defects that prevents it from playing a wide-variety of DVD movies. The class action also contends that Sony concealed the DVD playback defects from purchasers and required those who reported the problem to pay $120 to have their defective units repaired or replaced.
Clearly, there's no allegations of problems that $120 worth of repairs couldn't fix; they're just arguing it's not up to par with other DVD players.

"Try reading next time"... the irony is overwhelming.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.