Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

NFL2K3: Having problems with "Playbook Manager"...also, any tips on gettings SACKS?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

NFL2K3: Having problems with "Playbook Manager"...also, any tips on gettings SACKS?

Old 06-23-03, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have created and saved a pretty cool playbook, and before I play a game, I load it (this is under Franchise Mode...which I load, and then I once again load the playbook) -- however, none of my plays ever show up!

The team I'm using doesn't use a 4-3 Defense, and I badly need one b/c I'm getting pummeled.

Any tips on getting sacks? I pick blitzing defenses frequently, and I think I've only recorded 1 or 2. In NFL2K, I could get about 6-7/game. I've played 40 games and have ONE. I'm terrible!
Old 06-23-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
Don't know about the custom playbook thingee... didn't really spend the time to use that feature.

The computer hates giving up sacks. It will almost always throw the ball away if you get through the line. The best strategy is probably to either try to use the advanced line options to bull your way through a weak offensive line (check the sega website for updates on the very poor instruction manual). Or choose a linebacker, line up between the tackles and turbo through, hoping that you don't get burned on the pass.

It's also pretty difficult to keep your defense ranked in the top 5, since the computer starts to cheat in the fourth quarter if it's down by a lot. All of a sudden, his runningback can smash through my entire defense...
Old 06-23-03, 05:45 PM

AI teams not suffering sacks may have been the biggest problem of 2k3. Sometimes wacky DB AI was #2... there's nothing like a safety swatting to jump at a pass he's 20 feet away from just as you press the button to take control of him.

Most people who denigrate the game complain about "Too many drops", but there was a logic behind them, in my eyes.

As for solving the sack problem, you can't. The AI quarterbacks shrug off the hardest hits ever seen in football. Blitzing to stop a pass will bring you all risk and no rewards.

In online play, by the way, there is no sack problem. Quarterbacks go down realistically.
Old 06-24-03, 10:49 AM

I find the best way to get sacks is to line up in a man coverarge defensive formation where either of your DEs pushes the tackle/guard to the outside on 1-on-1 lineman matchups. Then you control a LB set up between that DE and the DT/NT to rush the QB. A speedy LB diving at the right time gets me more sacks than any other formation/placement.