Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Which Playstation 2 games should I get (w/ some questions)!?!?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-03, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First Off, I want to thank those who participated in my last thread asking which system would be the best investment and answered some of my questions and pointed me to some other helpful threads.

Well I bought the Playstation 2 since it had the offer of the Free DVD remote this week and I think I even lucked out because I bought it at Target and I think they game me one of the newer ones that are suppose to be most expensive. I may be wrong, but when looking at my new PS2, theres 3 little hook ups in the front with some symbols and I dont recall seeing any of these on my cousins PS2 because I would have asked him. So it seems like I may have lucked out. Can anyone tell me what the news look like and how they differ from the old ones so I can figure out what I have?

My first big question is what games are MUST purchases for this system? If anyone has any suggestions and reasons why these games are so good, Im all ears and look forward to some reccomendations.

Which games have the best multiplayer? I dont mean online play, but ones for like 2 - 4 people. Just games that are straight up fun and great to kick back and play with a bud.

Also, just to clarify what Ive heard, Am I able to use my Playstation 1 controller on the PS2 and how about the Memory Card from the Playstation 1, can I use that?

Here are the games I have on my must buy list so far:
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Evil Dead - Fist Full of Boomstick
Lord Of The Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring.

What should I add?
Old 06-16-03, 12:25 AM

the little 3 circled thing is for firewire, the only games i ever think of that used it were Gran Turismo 3 and Twisted MEtal Black, it was sort of like a system link, but i never used it
Old 06-16-03, 02:41 AM
Banned

You can use PS1 controllers, but not PS1 memory cards. But the controllers made for PS2 are touch sensitive.

Four player games:
Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, TimeSplitters 2.

If you like sports, hockey, soccer and basketball work well for multiplayer. The best basketball and hockey games are the ones made by Sega and EA. Ignore 989, Microsoft and the others.

For two-players, both EA football games (NCAA and Madden) are the premiere football games. Ghost Recon is good too.
Old 06-16-03, 06:14 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

DVDTalk.com Review by Aaron Beierle
Old 06-16-03, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
A few clarifications:
To play with three or four players you need a seperate Multi-tap (a silly design flaw, IMO. I think they run $25 now).
The PS1 controllers work, but they do not have the pressure-sensitive controls that would be helpful especially in racing and sports games. I would use them only when four people were over.
As mentioned above, you will need an 8 MB PS2 memory card. The good news is that newer games only require 200-400 K per save, so it should last a while. Keep your PS1 card if you plan on ever playing a PS1 game on your PS2; the new cards won't save PS1 games.
I'd cross Evil Dead off your "essential" list. It's cheap, but not a very good game.
If you have a Blockbuster nearby, definitely stop in and pick up Ratchet & Clank. It's a terrific game, one of the very best for the PS2 and they sell it for $19.99 (half of the price everywhere else).

Check the search engine here. There was a recent thread on must-buy PS2 games.

Congrats on your new PS2! Some folks here will clain they break a lot, but I've had mine since launch day and have never had a single problem.
Old 06-16-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Old 06-16-03, 12:40 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I would say Hitman 2: Silent Assasain should be on that list, but I don't have a great feel for what types of games you like...
Old 06-16-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Face/Off
You can use PS1 controllers, but not PS1 memory cards.
Just like "Decker" says, you will need a PS1 memory cards to save PS1 games, and a PS2 memory cards to save PS2 games.
Old 06-16-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
OK, I had a minute and found the recent "Best PS2 Games" thread here.
Old 06-16-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just a little side note, you can use the PS1 controllers on the PS2 but not all of the functions will work. On many games the PS2 controller uses a "pressure sensitive" feature. On GTA3 for example, the harder you press down on the X button the faster the car will go.
Old 06-16-03, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Which Playstation 2 games should I get (w/ some questions)!?!?

Originally posted by Ravenous
Here are the games I have on my must buy list so far:
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Evil Dead - Fist Full of Boomstick
Lord Of The Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring.

What should I add?
Like Decker said, skip Evil Dead. LotR - FotR isn't very good either, but The Two Towers is a great hack-and-slasher

Why just GTA:VC ? The original GTA3 is just as much fun to play, has a better story, and is available at the Greatest Hits price of $19.99 or less. Get it first, then look for a deal on Vice City.
Old 06-16-03, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First of all, Evil Dead is supposed to be awful. I assume you're a fan looking for a playable fix, but you'd be better off buying one of the many re-releases of the movie, waving the case around, and making shooting noises.

Also, don't waste your time with that particular Lord of the Rings game. Instead, rent The Two Towers game as suggested above (you can finish it in about 6 hours).

Here are some games I recommend:

1. Grand Theft Auto III (older and less pretty, but a much better overall game experience than GTA: VC--and only $15 at Best Buy)

2. ICO (my favorite PS2 game; practically a work of art)

3. Drakkan 2 (sorely underrated Tomb Raider-killer)

4. Jak and Daxter (the best platformer on PS2)
Old 06-16-03, 09:56 PM

Hey cool! Thanks for all the help guys!

I should probably say what type of games I like. First I like games for multiplayer. Usually 2 people because I can play with my family/friends/ect. I usually always play with my sister as well and we shoot the **** while playing. So we mainly play racing games (we love Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, Beetle Adventure Racing), Shooters (Goldeneye, Perfect Dark), and Fighters (Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter.

Second, for games that are mianly one player; I love Zelda, Splinter Cell, Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness, Star Wars Rogue Squadron, etc.

I play SOME sport games, but theyre mainly just dumb fun. Like Mario Golf and Mario Tennis (I cant wait for the GC versions!), Wrestling (N64 No Mercy, but because EVERY other wrestling game Ive played sucked ass and this one has a great control system). Ive actually wanted to get a Basketball game but I hate how they make it TOO officail. Anyone remember that OLD NES game "Arch Rivals"? Damn I loved punching people while playing some B-Ball.

I hooked up my system and sure enough the old PS1 memory card and controller works. It should be perfect till I get some new 2 player games and need a controller.

Well I want Evil Dead because I love the series and from what I read, if your a fan, youll love it. And for $20 I dont think I can go wrong. And I was talking about the LOTR - FOTR because I already have TTT for the GC. Besides Im a huge LOTR nut and for the price, I cant go wrong.

Today when I was at work, I read alot of what you guys posted and decided to read some reviews. Needless to say I went to EB today and got 2 games for 10% off and a Memory Card. I picked up:
Devil May Cry - $16
The Lord Of The Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring - $8
So I was conviced to get DMC! I loved the review and it totally seemed like my type of game. I passed up Evil Dead since it was new and I can get that anytime, and I wanted to take advantage of the 10% off. Pretty damn good reccomendations so far! Thanks for the help guys. But now that you know my preferences, got any other reccomendations? Id' love a good flying game, but mainly WW2 planes or something.
Old 06-16-03, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ace Combat 4. Don't miss it. And I love both Onimusha games. There's really a lot to choose from and many can be had for $15-20.
Old 06-18-03, 08:24 PM

Kick ass! Looks like I gotta add a few games to my list. Mainly Ace COmbat 4 and Time Splitters 2; but TS2 will be for the GC since I like that controller better

Anyone know where I can see a list of all the Greatest Hits Playstation games? Circuit CIty is having a sale this weekend where you can buy two and get one free. If there is no list, can some of you guys tip me off on what GH games I should look for and think about getting?
Old 06-19-03, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ravenous: Is that deal in their ad? I'd pick up a few games at CC but I can't find concrete info on a buy 2 get 1 free deal....