Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Help me identify this board game

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-03, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help me identify this board game

I got a board game this weekend at a yard sale and there are no instructions with it. I'm trying to find any info about it online but it appears to be an old game (i'm guessing 60's or older) and i can't find any info at all. It is called India and has little round wooden chits with it. The box has no information to show a year nor even who published the game....

So, any ideas?
Old 06-09-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't find it here, but maybe you don't have the complete title or something.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/index.htm
Old 06-09-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I need to start posting there sometime - mostly i've been lurking for a couple days on the boardgamegeek site.... as for the complete title all it says is India. Large letters on the box that say India and the gameboard has nothing on it other than four pictures of elephants and some people in Indian dress. It is somewhat caricature-like and is obviously from the early sixties at the latest.... hrm... this is turning into quite a puzzle. Maybe later i'll take a picture of the board and box.
Old 06-09-03, 10:37 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Sounds like Parcheesi with a different name.
Old 06-09-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Transogram Game of India 1938 Wood Pieces

Is this it? Do I win a prize? Looks like Parchisi!
Old 06-09-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by goLUCKY
Transogram Game of India 1938 Wood Pieces

Is this it? Do I win a prize? Looks like Parchisi!
The board in that picture does look almost exactly like the board in this game. The box is different in that it doesn't say "The Game of India" it just says "India" but that looks like it might be a hit. So, Parcheesi huh.... never played it before. Any fun?
Old 06-09-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Be careful...

It sounds like.... JUMANJI!
Old 06-09-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

does it have 80-90 little "chits", and do you start at #30? If so, I know what game it is.
Old 06-09-03, 12:50 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The board in that picture is definitely a Parcheesi board. Parcheesi is actually pretty fun as a four-player game with the kids as it's easy to learn. It lost popularity with the release of "Sorry!" which is a variation on the same concept.
Old 06-09-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Excellent! Thanks so much for the help guys. See i knew the video game forum could be used for more than impotent console flame wars!
Old 06-09-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Here's some rules for you game, since you said that you didn't have any.

THE IDEA OF THE GAME
In Parcheesi players enter their pieces on the track on the proper throw of the dice and try to be the first to move all of them around the board and along their own red entrance into the center space to win the game.

Equipment
For play there is a board with a track in blue, white and red, 16 playing pieces, four each of four colors, dice and dice shakers.

Play Preparation
When two play they sit opposite each other. When three or four play each takes a place at any side of the board. Each player takes four playing pieces of the same color and places them on the corner at his right. Choose a starting player.

Start
The starting player rolls two dice. All moves are determined by the dice.

Before a player can move his piece around the track he must enter them on the blue space at the left of his corner on a throw of five. (Each has his own entering space.) If he does not throw a five on his first throw he loses his turn. If he does throw a five; either one die or on the total of both dice, he may enter a piece. (Example, 5 on one die and any number on the other or such a combination as 3-2, 4-1, etc., will allow him to enter a piece.) If he throws two 5's he may enter two piece and have another throw. ("See Doubles.") If he throws five and some other number he may enter a piece and move that same piece, or another piece previously entered the number of spaces along the white track, in a counter-clockwise direction, indicated by the other die.

All players roll both dice, in turn, whether they enter a piece or not.

Movement of Pieces
On their turn players move pieces, according to the throw of the two dice, around the board to the blue space directly in front of them and then up the red path to the center of the board. It is not necessary to reach the blue space by exact count. The Maple Leaf in the center, however, counts as the last space and must be reached by exact throw of one die or the total of the two dice. For example, if a player's piece was advanced to the fifth red space on his track he must throw a three to retire that piece. A player can move one man on each die or he can combine the dice to move one man the total but he cannot split one die to move two men.

Capturing Pieces
At any time in the game when a play can land one of his pieces by exact count on a white space occupied by a single man of one of his opponents he captures that piece and sends it back to its starting corner. A player whose piece is so captured must enter it all over again on his next throw of 5, as at the start of the game.

Safety Spaces
All blue spaces are safety spaces and a piece resting on one of them cannot be captured or set back. No two pieces of different colors may rest on safety spaces at the same time but pieces may pass counting the blue space in passing. Of course no piece can be captured on a Red Path as no player can move his pieces into an opponent's red path.

Blockades
If a player can bring two of his pieces together on one space (white or blue) these two pieces form a blockade and neither he or any other players can pass it or stop on it. However a player must move when he can and if he cannot move any other pieces he must move the blockading pieces. If a player cannot move because of a blockade or some other reason he loses his turn.

Doubles
If a player throws doubles he has another turn and continues to have another turn as long as he throws doubles, excepting that if he cannot complete the total move on the dice he does not have another throw.

The Winner of the Game
The player who first gets all four of his pieces safely around the board and up the red path into the Maple Leaf space WINS.
Old 06-09-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow..... hardcore thanks for the rule posting!
Old 06-09-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Did he just call us all impotent?
Old 06-09-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Trigger
Did he just call us all impotent?
No, mostly i just wanted to work it into a sentence. Kind of like Geoff and penetrate