Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Which system is truly better: X-Box or Playstation 2?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now, Im not doing this to start a heated debate because I already know that Gamecube is better But now that these systems have gone down in price to $179 and usually come with a free deal of some sort (game, controller, etc) and Im tired of my PS1 already, I was thinking of picking up one of these systems. But I was wondering which system had the most advantages and most disadvantages.

Ive heard alot of people struggle with the X-Box, but I havent really heard any specifics. Ive also heard this system had the best graphics out there. Plus, I always seem to see these games onsale more than Gamecube.

My cousin had trouble playing PS1 games on his Playstation 2 (He couldnt save DRIVER or anything) and I want to play my games on the new system. Like the XBox, PS2 games always seem to be cheap.

Now there are also alot of titles I would like to get that are only on certain systems, which makes my choice even harder. Which system seems to be getting the best games?

And whats up with that online playing? Would I need to buy a new internet connection in my room and be near a phone line and all that ****? How does that work and which system has the best online playing?

Has anyone heard of any deals that might be comming or maybe newer systems that I should just wait for or anything? Like in the new Best Buy sale it has PS2 for $199.99 and I think it has the free online connection. Than in Circuit City it talks about a bundle or something for $179.99. So I dont know what deal is what and if I should start taking advantage of stuff.

Basically, I have some cash now and would like to get a new gaming system to enjoy. And I think this thread would be a good discussion; if people are willing to participate of course.
Old 06-08-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This thread should help: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=296366
Old 06-08-03, 01:54 PM
Banned

Re: Which system is truly better: X-Box or Playstation 2?

Originally posted by Ravenous
Now, Im not doing this to start a heated debate because I already know that Gamecube is better But now that these systems have gone down in price to $179 and usually come with a free deal of some sort (game, controller, etc) and Im tired of my PS1 already, I was thinking of picking up one of these systems. But I was wondering which system had the most advantages and most disadvantages.
Been discussed 1,487 times before

Ive heard alot of people struggle with the X-Box, but I havent really heard any specifics. Ive also heard this system had the best graphics out there. Plus, I always seem to see these games onsale more than Gamecube.
X-box and GameCube came out a year after the PS2. Of course it has better graphics.

My cousin had trouble playing PS1 games on his Playstation 2 (He couldnt save DRIVER or anything) and I want to play my games on the new system. Like the XBox, PS2 games always seem to be cheap.
Your cousin should try using a PSOne memory card. You can't save PSOne games on a PS2 memory card and vice versa.

Now there are also alot of titles I would like to get that are only on certain systems, which makes my choice even harder. Which system seems to be getting the best games?
Matter of preference

And whats up with that online playing? Would I need to buy a new internet connection in my room and be near a phone line and all that ****? How does that work and which system has the best online playing?
If you don't have broadband, then your only choice for online gaming is the PS2 as it has inputs for both a regular phone line and broadband (X-box only has broadband). X-box Online is a subscription fee while online gaming with Sony is free (or determined by the provider).

Has anyone heard of any deals that might be comming or maybe newer systems that I should just wait for or anything? Like in the new Best Buy sale it has PS2 for $199.99 and I think it has the free online connection. Than in Circuit City it talks about a bundle or something for $179.99. So I dont know what deal is what and if I should start taking advantage of stuff.

No one ever knows of any upcoming deals until they happen.

Basically, I have some cash now and would like to get a new gaming system to enjoy. And I think this thread would be a good discussion; if people are willing to participate of course.
Pick the system which has the most games you want to play. That is the only decision you have to make, everything else is just minimal bickering.
Old 06-08-03, 02:22 PM

Here are some other threads about what system to buy:

Should I buy an XBOX or Playstation 2? Already have GC.

List of Console Exclusives 2.0

Help !!what Should I Buy?

These threads should get you started on which system you may want to purchase. Make it easy on yourself and just buy all three consoles, I did. Just kidding, good luck on whatever you chose, I'm sure you will be happy.
Old 06-08-03, 02:31 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Keep in mind...PS2 is not really $179. There OLD model is not $179, while the new one coming out in a few weeks will be $199. Xbox is STILL $179 with 2 free games (those are stopping soon though, my store recieved S-Bundles WITH no games).
Old 06-08-03, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Go the EB or Gamestop, look at the games on each system, count up which system has more (exclusive) games that you want to play, whichever has more, buy that. But if you do want to play online and willing to pay, Xbox might be a better choice.
Old 06-08-03, 03:18 PM
Mod Emeritus

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=296366