Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Thinking of getting a Neo Geo system

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-03, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Thinking of getting a Neo Geo system

..but Im not sure which one to get the home cart or the CD series. I believe a few of you have a Neo Geo system, and any advice you would have to offer would be appreciated. I mainly want a Neo Geo system for Samurai Showdown 2, some of the KOF games, king of the monsters etc etc. And yes I know these are easily found through *ahem* other means but I would like to own the original system. Thanks in advance for your help.

-zero
Old 06-02-03, 03:27 PM
ned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are looking for older games then I would go with the cart version. My roommate has the CD version and the load times are incredibly annoying. The controllers for the cart system are a lot better too. When I was in Japan I thought about picking a system up but I didn't want to spend money buying a lot of games for it. If you buy old games it is pretty cheap though.
Old 06-02-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Heh, guess theresn't many Neogeo fans around here.

I used to have a NeoGeo CD system, it was pretty good back in the day. The music was all redbook so the quality was excellent, especially on some of the Samurai Showdown tracks. Still, I would tell you DO NOT buy the CD system because even though the games are cheaper, it is a single speed CD-Rom. I think they did release a double speed CD-Rom but it isn't that much better. Depending on the game, some matches can take up to a full minute to load. This isn't that great for a fast action fighting game as you can imagine. Go with cart if you can.

edit: n/m, you posted a minute before me Ned
Old 06-02-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's my advice. DO NOT BUY THE HOME CONSOLE VERSION!!

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ht=super+candy
Old 06-02-03, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My stupid question of the day - do NeoGeo games actually include additional processing power in the cartridge (unlike the more benign Nintendo carts)?

I ask, because I read an article and saw pictures of a new game coming out for the Neo Geo and well, the graphics rocked. I was confused how a 10+(?) year old system could put out enough juice to make a game look that good.
Old 06-02-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

if you get the home one get the cart. version

I have a neo-geo (actual cabinet)
and alot of the cart games can be found easily (ebay, etc) and cheaper then CD verision
Old 06-02-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think, for the most part, the arcade carts are cheaper than the home carts.. this is off memory though, I may be wrong.. but we got Fatal Fury 2 Special, World Heroes, and Art of Fighting arcade carts for $25 together.
Old 06-02-03, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BigPete
My stupid question of the day - do NeoGeo games actually include additional processing power in the cartridge (unlike the more benign Nintendo carts)?

I ask, because I read an article and saw pictures of a new game coming out for the Neo Geo and well, the graphics rocked. I was confused how a 10+(?) year old system could put out enough juice to make a game look that good.
Sort of yes, sort of no. The base hardware is the same, the Neo Geo motherbaord, but the cratridges can have INSANE amounts of memory. You do NOT need exceptional hardware to make a great looking game, you simply need good artists and designers.
Old 06-02-03, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the input, I know buying these games will be somewhat expensive so Im not focusing all of my attention on this, but heres what I've found on ebay I should be looking for this?

Old 06-02-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yup, that's what you want.

Skip the CDs, the real deal is the AES or MVS for Neo Geo. That's the real fun of having a console which is an arcade.

There will never be another system like the Neo Geo for fighters and shooters.
Old 06-02-03, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
Yup, that's what you want.

Skip the CDs, the real deal is the AES or MVS for Neo Geo. That's the real fun of having a console which is an arcade.

There will never be another system like the Neo Geo for fighters and shooters.
Excuse me..? EXCUSE ME?! Shooters?! SHOOTERS?! You sir have never owned a Turbo Grafx 16.
Old 06-02-03, 06:34 PM

There was a double speed CD version called the CDZ or something like that.
Old 06-02-03, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The CDs suck. The 'double speed' cdz system, is not really double speed, none of the new games released are put on cd anymore, and the loading times between rounds (for fighting games) really blows..... I mean you can wait upwards of 20 seconds in between fights, ouch.

I got the CD system for a few of the CD exclusive games and some action games that don't load much.

The best way is to get the MVS system b/c of price concerns. I have 2 home systems, and alot of games. While I love the home system, many of the really cool games are prohibitively expensive, and new releases (like Matrimelee) are priced at $300+ each! Well, I am not complaining considering that I have over 100 home carts, but I can no longer afford it with my expenses and I think many people are in the same boat, but the MVS is really affordable b/c some of the games you can buy for $60 (esp if you don't care about artwork/decals/instruction/etc).

Go to www.neo-geo.com there is a pretty strong and thriving community of neogeo lovers (like myself). If you got more questions, just email me or post here.

A small pic of some of my rare neo geo home games:

Old 06-02-03, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man they need to make Twinkle Star Sprites for Xbox Live.. that way I can prove my #1 status to the world, the world I tell you!
Old 06-02-03, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Lastblade
The CDs suck. The 'double speed' cdz system, is not really double speed, none of the new games released are put on cd anymore, and the loading times between rounds (for fighting games) really blows..... I mean you can wait upwards of 20 seconds in between fights, ouch.

I got the CD system for a few of the CD exclusive games and some action games that don't load much.

The best way is to get the MVS system b/c of price concerns. I have 2 home systems, and alot of games. While I love the home system, many of the really cool games are prohibitively expensive, and new releases (like Matrimelee) are priced at $300+ each! Well, I am not complaining considering that I have over 100 home carts, but I can no longer afford it with my expenses and I think many people are in the same boat, but the MVS is really affordable b/c some of the games you can buy for $60 (esp if you don't care about artwork/decals/instruction/etc).

Go to www.neo-geo.com there is a pretty strong and thriving community of neogeo lovers (like myself). If you got more questions, just email me or post here.

A small pic of some of my rare neo geo home games:

Thanks for the info and link, but the price for their home cart system is a lil steep, but hey you cant beat quality . Im gonna have to keep scouring ebay.

-zero
Old 06-02-03, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How come Neo Geo CDZ System is cheaper compare to Neo Geo Home Cart AES System??

Hmmmm.... Neo Geo CDZ games is cheaper compare to Neo Geo Home Cart AES games (thought CD games is popular now compare to the cart game right) !!!

Also, As for Neo CDZ system........how long is take for the games to loading .... as for fighting game is slow in the middle of the fight or it take more times to running for the next round !!!

Just curious ....Thankzzzzzzz
Old 06-02-03, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jtnguyen12
How come Neo Geo CDZ System is cheaper compare to Neo Geo Home Cart AES System??

Hmmmm.... Neo Geo CDZ games is cheaper compare to Neo Geo Home Cart AES games (thought CD games is popular now compare to the cart game right) !!!

Also, As for Neo CDZ system........how long is take for the games to loading .... as for fighting game is slow in the middle of the fight or it take more times to running for the next round !!!

Just curious ....Thankzzzzzzz
CDZ system is cheaper than home cart system... well, actually I think they are about the same... Maybe the CDZ system is alittle more expensive than home cart, I see the home cart system with 1 game or so for around $150 to 200. CDZ, 200 and up.

How long does it take a game to load on CDZ? It depends on the game, obviously. Older home carts, some of them are loaded entirely to the ram, but most of the games are loaded in between levels (non-fighting game). For fighting games, it can be really long loading times. I only have the regular CD (1x speed, the cdz is not 2x, it is more like 1.5x). I say, if I want to play King Of Fighters 98 (one of the best fighting games on the system), it takes at least 1.5 minutes to load the game, then for each match, takes 30-45 seconds, and after you beat each guy (to load the next guy), takes another 10 to 15 seconds, maybe more. Oh, the game doesn't load DURING a fight, only after you defeat someone (for tag team fighting like KOF series, or after you win 2 out of 3 for other regular 1 on 1 fighting game).

Trust me, it is worse than it sounds. Much worse.

That's why I am contemplating selling off my CD system (that I rarely plays). It is in mint condition, heh, btw!

Hope this helps.
Old 06-03-03, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by pixyboi
Excuse me..? EXCUSE ME?! Shooters?! SHOOTERS?! You sir have never owned a Turbo Grafx 16.
Hmmm....

I can't think of anything on the TG-16 that could beat either the Strikers 1945 or Aerofighters series on Neo-Geo pound for pound. Then again, Blazing Lazers was the shiz.
Old 06-03-03, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by rabbit77
Hmmm....

I can't think of anything on the TG-16 that could beat either the Strikers 1945 or Aerofighters series on Neo-Geo pound for pound. Then again, Blazing Lazers was the shiz.
I never though Aerofighters was that good of a series. Strikers on the other hand kick ass. However, that's 1 on the Neo Geo and it's essentially available on other platforms as well (also on other platforms or non-Neo Geo machines, it's in the proper vertical monitor ratio).

If I could access the Shmups! page from here I'd list some of the great TG16 shooters. It had a lot of great exclusives and usually the best version of croos-platform games.
Old 06-03-03, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like the Sega Saturn more for shooters, but PCE is great, for the 8bit generation.
Old 06-03-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Lastblade
I like the Sega Saturn more for shooters, but PCE is great, for the 8bit generation.
I own a Duo, its sitting right next to my top loading NES I mean dont ya think a Neo GEo cart machine would look so good next to those fine pieces of machinery?
Old 06-03-03, 03:46 PM
Cool New Member

MVS+Supergun is the only way to go if you're interested in not spending $1 million.
Old 06-03-03, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey, I said fighters and shooters.
Old 06-04-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Neo-Geo is way too hardcore for me. I mean, spending as much on a game as modern systems cost is too much.
Old 06-04-03, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you are really interested in Neo Geo I would highly recommend buying a Neo Geo MVS Arcade System. Since you are going to spend a fat chunk of change for the home system and carts you may as well buy a mini arcade cabinet made by snk and buy a 4 slot MVS board! Talk to Jeff Tao over at www.arcade-infinity.com

I have had my neo geo mvs arcade cab for 2 years now. I love it! and the games are WAY cheaper than their home cart counterparts!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.