Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

oh dear god...there goes my social life and bank account [Doom3]...

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the official Doom 3 trailer...

http://www.planetquake3.net/download...tails&lid=1616

I can't even describe it so just go watch it. Let's just say I'm busy wiping up the drool off my keyboard right now.

Last edited by hahn; 05-15-03 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-15-03, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That game looks harder than hell.
Old 05-15-03, 08:35 PM
Banned

The game was pretty hard when I played it (back when the leaked demo came out). I'm going to have to end up building a new computer just so I can play that game. It is definitely the best trailer at the show.
Old 05-16-03, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think I just wet myself.
Old 05-16-03, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

that looked pretty good. Wonder what it will look like on xbox.
Old 05-16-03, 03:24 AM
Banned

Originally posted by s}{ammer
that looked pretty good. Wonder what it will look like on xbox.
Not even close to that. Not even close.
Old 05-16-03, 04:35 AM
Banned

Originally posted by joshd2012
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/368/368286p1.html

Id Software commander John Carmack named the Xbox as the only console that would be seeing Doom III and that Xbox owners can expect much of the same visuals and gameplay found in the PC version.

I got no idea if it will be as good but it sounds like it will be pretty damn close. I mean I don't mind taking a %25 hit on looks if I can run it on a $200 system and not a $2000 PC. Also did you look at that long ass Halo2 movie!? I mean damn the games looks are pretty close to each other in looks I think. Wow gaming is getting so much fun again :P Anyway I will get it for xbox or if I get a new pc soon and it can run nice off my Geforce4 TI I will get it for pc. Also man what did you think of halo2 looks next to dooms3? What makes you think it's going to be dumbed down for xbox? Also don't say it will run at a lower res I know that one already.
Old 05-16-03, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There were reports from Gamers.com that the trailer is the XBox version.
Old 05-16-03, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That is the trailer they showed at the Xbox newsconference.

No one said if it was running on Xbox hardware. I seriously doubt it. I saw some high res textures in that demo.

Doug
Old 05-16-03, 07:43 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Looks pretty cool. A lot of cutscenes in that demo. Anybody know if they are in-game or prerendered?

I agree that the demo probably wasn't running from Xbox hardware. Not that it matters to me, I'll be picking this up on PC. Keyboard and mouse, baby!

Originally posted by TOPDAWG
Also did you look at that long ass Halo2 movie!? I mean damn the games looks are pretty close to each other in looks I think.
The difference is that Halo 2 is designed to scale down to lower end systems, whereas Doom 3 is not.
Old 05-16-03, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A friend had an article which was saying that on a GeForce FX5900 at 1024*780 medium settings they could only get a whole 53 FPS and using a 5200 they scored... 14.

I doubt that this is true... but it's probably close to reality.
Old 05-16-03, 12:39 PM
Banned

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/368/368286p1.html

Id Software commander John Carmack named the Xbox as the only console that would be seeing Doom III and that Xbox owners can expect much of the same visuals and gameplay found in the PC version.
Confusing language here. Same "visuals" means that the look will be the same (i.e. rusted door with the 'Enter' sign above it will still be a rusted door with a 'Enter' sign above it in the X-box version). That doesn't say anything about the number of polygons that are being pushed.

The Doom 3 engine was created to maximize graphical output; this game is going to bring even most expensive computers to their knees.

The only way to get Doom 3 X-box to look even similar to the PC version is to remove real-time lighting effects and shadows. This is because, 50% of the processing power is used to control these aspects of the game, so cutting them out completly aleaves some stress on the processor. Of course, now you are talking about removing key reality highteners, which make the game feel more real and get you more involved.

It can be done by removing the real-time lighting and shadows, but then you take away from the game. Its either push much less polygons, or take away from the realism of the game.... I'm sticking with PC on this one.
Old 05-16-03, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That game looks really hard. But it looks like a blast. I'm not as impressed as i am with the HalfLife2 stuff, but i can tell this game is going to be well worth whatever it costs.

What is their sceduled release time for this game?? Any specs or facts on it yet.. Like length of the game? Multiplayer? requirements?

And wasn't is supposed to be playable this year at E3??!
Old 05-16-03, 05:34 PM
Banned

Well who knows how it will end up looking in the end. I mean really we got no proof of what spics your even going to need to run the game on the pc in the first place. So who knows maybe the xbox can pull it off. Does anyone know when thay are going to tell people what thay need to run this thing? Also I don't get your meaning halo2 was scaled down!?

Also the thing with doom is not about pushing this and that but using the damn **** the new pc cards can do now. I mean how many games use bimp mpping and them other shaders and stuff!? Not to damn many turth be told. I think the xbox one will be pretty close to the PC one. However we know jack **** of it yet so this is just a guess :P

Like I said I don't mind taking a %25 hit on looks to run it on a $200 system and not a $2000 PC. I do look forward to seeing what one of us guessed right Of cousre I hope the levels are more open I hate the damn runing down a hall way for the whole game. That is what halo so great I loved them opened fleids levels. You got to remember thay are trying to put two differt things on screen halo2 goes for high number of bad guys and open levels while doom seems to be 3 bad guys that look really good in a hall way.

PS. I never played a doom before is the game just running down a hall way shotting stuff? I like the the games with more open levels myself.
Old 05-16-03, 05:50 PM
Banned

Confusing language here. Same "visuals" means that the look will be the same (i.e. rusted door with the 'Enter' sign above it will still be a rusted door with a 'Enter' sign above it in the X-box version). That doesn't say anything about the number of polygons that are being pushed.

Don't worry I know how the PR spins work :P I'm not confused on what was the meaning behide him saying that.

The Doom 3 engine was created to maximize graphical output; this game is going to bring even most expensive computers to their knees.

Not really I mean it's just using stuff the new pc cards have to offer no other pc games are using the cards true power. You don't see many games using pimp mapping or pixel shiders. Also you got to remember a pc is running all types of **** in the backround while you play I mean I'm sure your running windows or some other OS so that takes some power away you could use for the game. I'm thinking the xbox can get close to the pc cause of the closed sorce of it. Also JC when he first said it was coming to xbox said it would be picture prefact but reading what I posted now said it would be close so that does worry me. When that happens we all know what ends up happening in the end.

The only way to get Doom 3 X-box to look even similar to the PC version is to remove real-time lighting effects and shadows. This is because, 50% of the processing power is used to control these aspects of the game, so cutting them out completly aleaves some stress on the processor. Of course, now you are talking about removing key reality highteners, which make the game feel more real and get you more involved.

I think your worng on this one halo2 modals look to be just as good or near as good as doom3 and Splinter Cell proved xbox can run some monter shadows. I think if you can put both programing tricks together you can get pretty close to the PC doom3. Of cousre this is just a guess on my part. I could be %100 worng

It can be done by removing the real-time lighting and shadows, but then you take away from the game. Its either push much less polygons, or take away from the realism of the game.... I'm sticking with PC on this one.

Again Splinter Cell proved Xbox can do sadows and halo2 shows it can push nice modals. In the end I think it will be like this xbox will take a %15 to %20 hit on looks and run at 30FTP. Mind you this is a guess I'm not saying how it will end up looking in the end.

Last edited by TOPDAWG; 05-16-03 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-16-03, 06:06 PM
Banned

Bad spelling and grammer. Misformated post. *Sigh*

Doom 3 looks far more superior than anything else shown at E3, including Halo 2 and Splinter Cell. If you think they look the same, get your glasses checked and look again. Doom is far more advanced graphically than any game out there. The X-box will not beable to handle a straight port and will have to be modified in the way I mentioned inorder to run. It doesn't matter what any other game has been able to do with shadows or lighting because this is a totally different engine from the best engine designers in the world. You can't even begin to compare the two.
Old 05-16-03, 06:16 PM
Banned

Yeah sorry about that was in a hurry and I don't know how to quote right.

Doom 3 looks far more superior than anything else shown at E3, including Halo 2 and Splinter Cell. If you think they look the same, get your glasses checked and look again. Doom is far more advanced graphically than any game out there. The X-box will not beable to handle a straight port and will have to be modified in the way I mentioned inorder to run. It doesn't matter what any other game has been able to do with shadows or lighting because this is a totally different engine from the best engine designers in the world. You can't even begin to compare the two.
UHHH man I did not say you was worng on the looks part I said I think the xbox will take a %15 to %20 hit on looks and run at 30 FTP.

PS. What is with everyone having to make a remark on the spelling and grammer!? So I sick at spelling hell I'd be the first to laugh at it myself.
Old 05-16-03, 07:54 PM
Mod Emeritus

"Hi Kettle, this is the Pot, YOU'RE BLACK!"
Old 05-16-03, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am confused the XBox can play it with only a 25% hit on frame rates?

How is this possible when it is an 800 Mhz Intel P3 chip using a Geforce 3/4 hybrid chip.

It should be able to play it fine on my Athlon Xp 1800+ using a Geforce 4 Ti4600.

The funny thing is that it probably will not.
Old 05-16-03, 08:56 PM
Banned

Originally posted by gcribbs
I am confused the XBox can play it with only a 25% hit on frame rates?

How is this possible when it is an 800 Mhz Intel P3 chip using a Geforce 3/4 hybrid chip.

It should be able to play it fine on my Athlon Xp 1800+ using a Geforce 4 Ti4600.

The funny thing is that it probably will not.

No I mean a %25 hit on the looks not just frame rate. Thay may dumb down the lighting alittle and the modals too. Who knows how it will end up I think it's up to ID and how mush time and money thay are willing to put into the port. OK here is what I think the game will be dumbed down %20 to %25 and the game will run about 30 frame rate. I hope I'm worng but I'm trying to be real about it. Also JC said a few times it will run just like the PC one so I'm going by what he said but I have a hard time seeing it running just as good as the pc one. OK do you understand me now?

Last edited by TOPDAWG; 05-16-03 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-16-03, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-16-03, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No I mean a %25 hit on the looks not just frame rate. Thay may dumb down the lighting alittle and the modals too. Who knows how it will end up I think it's up to ID and how mush time and money thay are willing to put into the port. OK here is what I think the game will be dumbed down %20 to %25 and the game will run about 30 frame rate. I hope I'm worng but I'm trying to be real about it. Also JC said a few times it will run just like the PC one so I'm going by what he said but I have a hard time seeing it running just as good as the pc one. OK do you understand me now?
yep. It will be nice to see how they pull it off.
Old 05-17-03, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Reading this thread made my head hurt.
Old 05-17-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by funkyryno
Reading this thread made my head hurt.
Do what I did. Ignore the thread, download the trailer, watch the trailer, smile.

But I do agree, something will need to be modified in the port to XBox. And XBox is really just a PC and it's parts are already at least a year behind current PC technology. I'm wondering if part of the requirements can ben forgiven because console games don't need to run as high a resolution as PC games. For example, it'd be pointless to run the game at 1600x1200 or 1280x1024. In fact, I think 800x600 would be more than enough resolution for TV's. And at 800x600, with some minor modifications, the XBox very well should be able to handle Doom3 with minor enough lighting/shadow changes that your average user won't notice. Esp, if they limit the frame rates to 30/second. Plus, I don't think they would announce an XBox port unless they were POSITIVE it could be done without making huge sacrifices. John Carmack is rather anal about his products' quality.

What I WILL be interested in is whether PC players will be able to play against XBox players online. So I can finally PROVE to my XBox fanatic friends that a keyboard/mouse will kick a control pad player ANYDAY.

Last edited by hahn; 05-17-03 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-17-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by hahn
What I WILL be interested in is whether PC players will be able to play against XBox players online.
I can already answers this speculation. The answer is no. XBox live will not support PC's. So unless there is some other way to play it online via a hack, then the answer will be no.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.