Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Its official : Mario Advance 4 (GBA) is Mario Brothers 3 for NES!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-03, 01:26 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Woo Hoo!

http://pocket.ign.com/articles/402/402166p1.html

May 12, 2003 - Nintendo has at last revealed the next game in the Mario Advance series of titles. Following a remake of Mario 2 and ports of Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island, the Game Boy Advance will at last receive a remake of Super Mario Bros. 3 now under the name of Mario Advance 4.
Japanese magazine Coro Coro Comics has a first look at the game, and, as you can see in the pictures below, it looks far beyond the original NES classic. Still, once you've seen the Frog Suit and Raccoon Suit, you'll immediately recognize this as Mario 3 brought to new life.

The magazine doesn't reveal anything on the game, aside from the obvious: Mario Brothers will be once again included as a multiplayer mini game. Aside from that, you'll have to wait a bit for Nintendo to officially unveil the game at E3.

A Japanese release is due on 7/11, and should be followed rather timely by an American release.
Old 05-13-03, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great choice! This is my favorite Mario game of all time.
Old 05-13-03, 11:36 PM

Yawn.

Another Mario remake. Why bother, when I can play the same game in Super Mario Collection?

Why can't they make an ORIGINAL Mario title for once for the GBA?
Old 05-14-03, 12:04 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd love an original mario as well.

I don't mind the remakes, but I hate that they're gouging us on them.

They could have just ported Super Mario All Stars instead of Mario 2 and 3 seperately.
Old 05-14-03, 01:56 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I'd love an original mario as well.

I don't mind the remakes, but I hate that they're gouging us on them.

They could have just ported Super Mario All Stars instead of Mario 2 and 3 seperately.
Probably. Good point, but $$$$
Old 05-14-03, 02:10 PM
Retired

Definitely $$.

That's why I said "I hate the they're gouging us on them."

Rather than do consumers a favor and put out Mario Allstars at $29.99, they put out 2 and 3 and $29.99 each and get $60 out of fans. Not to mention that they'll probably put out 1 at some point.
Old 05-14-03, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nintendo can't afford to pass up any chances to make money. People (myslef included) are willing to pay for these remakes separately so that's what Nintendo delivers. For them to do it any other way doesn't make sense.
Old 05-14-03, 02:44 PM
Retired

I agree it's great business sense. It just sucks for me as I love the games, but hate shelling out the $ for them.

I recently dug out my SNES and hooked it up again, so I'm thinking of saying screw SMA4 and just picking up a used copy of Mario All stars, they usually go on EBAY for around the price of the SMA games.
Old 05-14-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the idea is that these are for this little machine called the Game Boy. So it gives you the chance to play these great games anywhere. Obviously for people who don't utilize the Gameboy's portability, there are much more practical ways to play them.

IGN is also reporting that the game will use the eReader to add functions to the game not found in the original, like using the cape or being able to pull and throw turnips.

Even if this is, IMO, the best Mario game and will be glad to have it on the go any way they give it to me.. I'm hoping that add some nice extras this time. Mario World and Yoshi's Island were straight ports. (Okay, so Mario World had the whole Mario/Luigi differences thing and the red coins, but that's it!).
Old 05-14-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This game is the reason the 80's existed.
Old 05-14-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Outlaw
This game is the reason the 80's existed.
Damn you. Damn you for digging memories of the wrecthed movie "The Wizard" out. Oh the pain.. the horror..
Old 05-14-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

lol! actually I completely forgot about that movie. I was speaking on a much broader sense...but I suppose it will have to encompasse that as well .

thank god it wasn't yoshi's story though, the screens look nice!
Old 05-14-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well you said "The 80's" and "Mario 3" in the same sentence and that's what popped into my head. It was awful. Hehehe..
Old 05-14-03, 03:33 PM

It's a remake? So then shouldn't there be something different like graphics, music, some other stuff. If it's the same thing then it should just be a port right?
Old 05-14-03, 05:59 PM
Retired

Graphic wise, it will likely be a port of the SNES version on Super Mario All Stars, with a few extras added, as that's what they did with Mario 2.
Old 05-14-03, 06:00 PM
Retired

Originally posted by pixyboi
I think the idea is that these are for this little machine called the Game Boy. So it gives you the chance to play these great games anywhere. Obviously for people who don't utilize the Gameboy's portability, there are much more practical ways to play them.
Bah, it's all about money. I'm sure those that play the game boy on the go would still rather pay $29.99 for Mario 1, 2, 3 and the Lost Levels, than $29.99 per game.

But I can't blame Nintendo, they're in dire straights and need to make money anyway they can.
Old 05-14-03, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now that I think about it, even if Nintendo didn't need the money they'd still do it this way. People are happy to pay for the games separately. If these remakes weren't selling well then maybe we'd have something to talk about.

Last edited by Kellehair; 05-14-03 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-14-03, 06:30 PM
Suspended

I haven't wasted my money on any of these ports. If I want to play Mario, I'll play it on my NES, or SNES, or PC if I'm on a plane. I'll spend my money on new games, thank you.
Old 05-14-03, 11:00 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Played Mario 3 today...awesome! It looked just like the All-Stars version. I will glady be purchashing this (along with the e-reader cards for it), when its launched. Sure, I have it for NES, and SNES, but ill support Nintendo and re-purchase this awesome title.