Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Enter The Matrix impressions (mild spoilers)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Enter The Matrix impressions (mild spoilers)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-03, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by uteotw
I don't get how some people can complain about EVERY game out there. I think this game is fantastic! Great movies, the ability to play it all the way through w/2 different players, 3 difficulty levels, tremendous music and film scenes, variety of missions, easy controls, etc. TOTALLY worth my $50.
Couldn't have said it better myself. These days people complain the most about the BEST games (not that this is one of them, but it is REALLY fun)

Anybody who doesn't give this game a chance is cheating themselves out of a great experience.
Old 05-16-03, 01:03 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Different strokes for different folks. I don't think that there's anyone here that complains about "every game." There are a lot of people that post here, and as such there are going to be at least a few that don't like each game that's discussed.

Plus, at $50 a pop, people have a good reason to be critical of games.
Old 05-16-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I have never seen anyone list "three difficulty levels" as a reason a game is great.
Old 05-16-03, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by spainlinx0
I have never seen anyone list "three difficulty levels" as a reason a game is great.
or the fact that a game has .... count them ... two characters.
Old 05-16-03, 01:49 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The bottom line is this game is a lot of fun and allows you to live and enjoy the matrix experience but you have to admit, the game is far from polished.

Things I didn't like:

A lot of dead space/dead ends that serve no purpose, repeatative or "after thought" level design, more than average frequency of cliping, poor lighting/shadowing, some jittery movements, at times wacky controls, and a 3rd person camera that needs improvement. The strict 5/15 deadline probably didn't help much.

Things I loved about this game:

Voice acting, focus moves, great audio - the score gets you in the matrix mood. The out-numbered gun fights have that awesome matrix feel. Very much like the Neo/Trinity rescue Morphious lobby scene in the original film. While content/gameplay is always the most important thing, the cool holographic cover art and full color instruction booklet doesn't hurt either.

All in all, I'd recommend people to rent first, but if your a die hard fan of the film, then you may want to purchase it. I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

Last edited by dgc; 05-16-03 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-16-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by huh?
or the fact that a game has .... count them ... two characters.

Whats your point, this isn't a fighting game. Not many single player action games give you the ability of having 2 different stories by playing with different character.
Old 05-16-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually the game is fairly unspectacular IMHO. It's definitely going back to the store. The fact is, these days, with so many devlopers and consoles, we have choices. That's what's great about competition. You "vote" with your $$. There are much better games out there.
Old 05-16-03, 02:55 PM
dgc

Go into the hacking system, and proceed to the cheats menu. Enter these numeric codes to unlock the corresponding function:
All weapons and max firepower: 0034AFFF
Bonus test level: 13D2C77F
Double movement speed: FF00001A
Enemies do not detect you: 0034AFFF
Enemies do not hear you: FFFFFFF1
Faster Logos flight speed: 7867F443
Infinite ammo: 1DDF2556
Infinite focus: 69E5D9E4
Invisibility: 1DDF2556
Infinite health: 4516DF45
Low gravity: BB013FFF
Multiplayer fighting: D5C55D1E
Silent Mode: FFF0020A
Taxi driving: D5C55D1E
Old 05-16-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
The point (which you missed) is that the game has, count them, two characters that you can use to play through the entire game with--which adds to the depth of the game. I liked The Getaway with its 2 characters, but even that only allowed you to play half with each guy. (See, the Matrix game itself has more than 2 characters, in case you didn't know.) The difficulty level thing is a plus because not every lives and breathes video games and can finish the game on the hardest level in an hour. It's not the main feature, but some people appreciate it.

That said, the main cool feature is the game itself. I'm not saying everyone should have the same taste, but if you've noticed on this board it seems no game is ever good enough. (Darn game didn't allow me to ACTUALLY enter the Matrix so I guess I'll return it.) Is Enter the Matrix perfect? No. Is it pretty !@)(# great? I'd say so.
Old 05-16-03, 04:27 PM
Retired

Originally posted by uteotw
I'm not saying everyone should have the same taste, but if you've noticed on this board it seems no game is ever good enough.
Your over generalizing still. No game will ever be "good enough" for everyone on this forum. There are hundreds of people that read this forum and everyone has different likes and dislikes.

Couple that with the fact that people are much more likely to go out of their way to bitch about something they don't like than to take the time to praise something they like, and the "problem" of no games being "good enough" for anyone here gets exaggerated.
Old 05-16-03, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I spent some time tonight messing with the hacking feature and it was pretty cool.

The game is fun but there are small problems that keep it from being great.

The camera is awful at times. And the the first "boss" battle was craptastic. And the driving levels are AWFUL!!!!!

I'm a big fan of the first movie and I'm still processing the 2nd one. I jus don't think I'll be enjoying the game for anything except the FMVs you can watch.
Old 05-16-03, 09:56 PM
dgc

There is already a patch for the PC version:

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=2906
Old 05-17-03, 11:06 PM

Ok, after the craptacular PC version, I decided to rent the GC version today and test it out. It is 100% better on every level. The GFX are better, the Sound actually works, and the control is good. The game is actually quite fun now. It appears a PC port of a console game has been messed up once again.
Old 05-18-03, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
What are your system specs discostu?
Old 05-18-03, 12:23 AM

athlonxp 1800, 512mb ram, geforce3. Its a problem with the game itself I think....tons of people have problems. The graphics are extremely 'clippy' and the sound just crackles and sounds garbled in game (cutscenes and voice on the phone is fine).
Old 05-19-03, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
I rented it for my Xbox, and I'm glad I did.

I can sum it up very quickly: The fights are cool, getting to the fights sucks.

The running animation, the laughable fence and ladder animation, the BORING driving missions. The collision detection is atrocious, people clip through walls and stairs, textures simply disappear. Ugh.

And the constant loading and saving. There was one part where a mission saved and loaded, we ran down one hallway (with no enemies in sight) and the game saved and loaded the next section. I mean WTF?

This game was so obviously rushed to make the 5-15 release date. I'm hoping that a sequel using a similar fighting engine (and NO DRIVING) is made.

It has some really cool, kick ass moments that are quite simply ruined when you turn the next corner.
Old 05-19-03, 12:49 PM

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
How do you get the multi-player feature to work?
Old 05-19-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

From dgc's post:

Multiplayer fighting: D5C55D1E

Go into Hacking for your character from the main menu. I can't remember the sequence to get the cheat active (dir, then cheat I think) but it explains it to you. Took us a little while to figure it out.
Old 05-19-03, 02:38 PM

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
I activated the code for Multiplayer last night, but I couldn't get it into the multiplayer.
Old 05-19-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After reading this thread I decided to give it another chance and I was rewarded with..... another lock-up. I wish there was a code to see all the cutscenes so I could view them and return the game.
Old 05-19-03, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by goLUCKY
I activated the code for Multiplayer last night, but I couldn't get it into the multiplayer.
After entering the code, load up your character's game and it will give you a choice of levels to play. Move all the way to the left for the multiplayer levels.
Old 05-20-03, 01:02 AM

Damn this game has some major glitches, second time in a row its totally locked up after the helicoptor fight
Old 05-20-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Does the GC version lock up as much as other (non-pc) versions? Is the electronic boutique coupon where you get a $20 gc if you buy the game and preorder the Animatrix DVD a good deal?

-dave
Old 05-20-03, 12:06 PM
dgc

I haven't had one lock up on enter the matrix or any other xbox title since I've had my xbox repaired.
Old 05-20-03, 05:43 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
This game is almost as addicting/fun as GTA:VC for me.
Was anyone who's played as Niobi else surprised at the scene where
Spoiler:
Niobi and the hot new chick kiss,
just like the hot chick did with Neo in the movie? Haven't seen that in any "T" rated games that I recall...!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.