Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GTA 3 and Vice City on XBOX/GC??

Old 04-30-03, 01:29 PM

GTA 3 and Vice City on XBOX/GC??

Gamespot had this story in their news section:

A new report suggests that Rockstar will be bringing two of its major games to the Xbox and GameCube in 2004.

An Investor's Business Daily report suggests that after Rockstar's exclusivity contract with Sony ends in 2004, the company plans to bring both Grand Theft Auto 3 and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City to the Xbox and GameCube that same year. However, Rockstar has not officially announced any such plans, and representatives from the company were unavailable to comment on the story as of press time.

Looks like it's pure speculation at this point with no comments from Rockstar.

Any thoughts?

Personally I'd love to see this and since both games are on PC (or soon will be) the translation to XBOX can't be too hard. I do think that 2004 is a long ways off and it may not be worth their time to do it at that point since the games will be almost 2 or more years old. I see this more as a sign that future Grand Theft Autos will appear on other consoles.

Last edited by finbogg; 05-01-03 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-30-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh.. if it had come out on Xbox when it was supposed to, I'd've gotten it.. by the time it finally does, Sony will have had 3 billion GTA clones in the market (I hear they're already 1/3 of the way there) and the game won't be as interesting.
Old 04-30-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That still won't be for another year and a half at least. The Rockstar-Sony exclusivity deal expires in October 2004. I imagine by then anyone who would have wanted to play GTA bad enough would have done so by then.
Old 04-30-03, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They should just concentrate on the next Grand Theft Auto game for all consoles instead releasing the versions out for PS2.

I'm not going to buy this old games!
Old 05-30-03, 11:30 AM

Here's a little something to resurrect the GTA to XBOX rumors.

Here's something from Gamespot:

Perhaps the most interesting news to come out of the conference call came when Take-Two CEO Jeff Lapin said that Rockstar will be releasing "a significant Xbox [game]" in Q1 2004. When asked if it will be a Grand Theft Auto game, Lapin simply stated that the company would not comment on that yet. However, later in the conference, Lapin said that the previous exclusivity deal between Rockstar and Sony would not allow Grand Theft Auto games to appear on any other platforms, but that deal has since been amended. The next Grand Theft Auto game was discussed during the conference, and it was pointed out that the game will be released exclusively for the PlayStation 2 in the second half of 2004.

I still don't think it's happening anytime soon, but the exclusivity deal has been "amended", so that makes it more interesting.
Old 07-07-03, 10:36 AM

According to XBN magazine, expect to see Grand Theft Auto III AND Vice City on the Xbox withing the next year. Supposedly Take Two and Rockstar are going to change the name of the games to get around their deal with Sony. It'll be the equivalent of the PC versions with hi-res textures etc.

The next GTA game will be a Sony exclusive though.
Old 07-07-03, 11:01 AM

There's always True Crime: Streets of L.A. which is a GTA clone coming out for all consoles.
Old 07-07-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It would be a waste of time really, I mean by then even the clones will be better and there will probably be a new GTA title which should be on all consoles as the exclusivity is only for GTA3 and VC.

Mafia is on the way soon so I'll probably just get that instead.
Old 07-07-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Feneant
It would be a waste of time really, I mean by then even the clones will be better and there will probably be a new GTA title which should be on all consoles as the exclusivity is only for GTA3 and VC.

Mafia is on the way soon so I'll probably just get that instead.
It was my understanding that the exclusivity would extend to the new GTA title...
Old 07-07-03, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by sniper308
It was my understanding that the exclusivity would extend to the new GTA title...
I think it's all GTA titles released before January 1, 2005. And it doesn't include PC or GBA (obviously).
Old 07-07-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
I think it's all GTA titles released before January 1, 2005. And it doesn't include PC or GBA (obviously).
I think that's right...

Rockstar isn't gonna release this on Xbox before their exclusivity deal is over. I'm just surprised they're going to at all. When Rockstar pitched GTA3 to Microsoft (before pitching it to Sony), MS turned it down - they didn't think it would be a good game or something.
Old 07-07-03, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
I think that's right...

Rockstar isn't gonna release this on Xbox before their exclusivity deal is over. I'm just surprised they're going to at all. When Rockstar pitched GTA3 to Microsoft (before pitching it to Sony), MS turned it down - they didn't think it would be a good game or something.
If that's true, that could go down as one of the worst decisions in video game industry history! Right along with the decision to release the ET game for the Atari 2600.
Old 07-08-03, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah - it was a dumb decision... but they've made dumber decisions. Still - they manage to be a quite successful console maker.
Old 07-08-03, 04:19 PM
Banned

I might get them for GC if they put both GTA3 and Vice City together and sell it as one game, instead of trying to make us pay $50 again for both. (ie Resident Evil crap)