Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

SSX 3 is coming!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SSX 3 is coming!!

Well.. seeing as I can't access gaming sites from work, I'll just leave this now as an open discussion thread, unless somebody wants to post what info is available.

SSX Tricky is one of the few games that re-awoke my passion for gaming in the last 2 years. I saw the commerical for it a LONG time ago while watching WWF and I was like "That was cool.. and it had Run DMC.. hmm..".. so I borrowed my friends PS2 and rented it. EVERYBODY I knew got hooked on the game. One guy I knew went out and bought an Xbox just to play it, and I too, once I got my Xbox it was in the first games I bought. It's really one of those super fun games you can play over and over and over.

It's REALLY hard to think of what they could add to the game to make it better.. the obvious would be new tracks and characters, and hoping that the new tracks keep the polished feel and design of the original, and are not rushed together to get a sequel out. I'd love an option to shoot Kaori point blank in between the eyes. Custome soundtack on the Xbox version is a must.. I do like how the levels music will change depending on what area you are in.. but seriously.. this is the kind of game that could benefit from custom soundtrack. I'm not sure what Live support they could do, maybe an online ranking where you could submit your times/scores..

Anybody have some ideas for the new game? I'm blank, Tricky was that rare game that was THAT good..
Old 04-29-03, 11:03 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Looks like instead of several courses set around the world, there is one big mountain. An interesting approach, that could increase the replay factor if done right.

Odd that Eddie isn't returning, considering that he was more or less the "mascot" for SSX Tricky. I guess they couldn't get David Arquette again?
Old 04-29-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Eddie isn't coming back?!

NOOOOOOO!!

I do like the one mountain idea.. imagine taking a side path in one course to be able to see a little bit of another.. hmm.. another thing is that it opens the possibility for several extra cources that consist of one track that then goes into the second half of another..

I'd really like to see if they can top some of the great "uber tricks" from before..

But no Eddie.. that makes me sad.. get somebody else to do the damn voice!!
Old 04-29-03, 11:19 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: SSX 3 is coming!!

Originally posted by pixyboi
I'm not sure what Live support they could do, maybe an online ranking where you could submit your times/scores..
Hello? Racing against other XBL-ers down the slopes would kick some ass.

They could do one mountain, but different paths down... like a north path, south path, etc. They could still be radically different tracks, but they'd all be based on the same mountain.

Very surprised at no Eddie, too... didn't play him, but his silhouette was part of the logo, wasn't it? As long as Elise and Brody (the spiritual guy, right?) are there, though, I'll be happy.

There's a SSX3 trailer, but no shots of gameplay... just a picture of a helo dropping off a boarder on a mountain, and then the camera pulls back to show how big and beautiful the mountain is. SSX Tricky was a game I played until my thumbs hurt... can't wait for more!
Old 04-29-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: SSX 3 is coming!!

Originally posted by Static Cling
Hello? Racing against other XBL-ers down the slopes would kick some ass.
Well duh.. I think I left that off in my original post cause I was trying to remeber if I had any fun with the multi-player mode on Tricky. I do think they'd have to add a little extra "oomph" to make multiplay worthwhile.. I thought that it wouldn't be enough to add that just for the Xbox version, but I hear the PS2 online stuff is picking up.. hmm..
Old 04-29-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like GameSpot actually has some in game pics up now. Looks really nice too. (only 3 up so far)

Quote from GameSpot

Electronic Arts releases the first details on the next game in its snowboarding series.

Electronic Arts has officially announced that SSX 3 is currently in development for the GameCube, PlayStation 2, and Xbox. The development team at EA Canada has been working to make SSX 3 a much more seamless experience than the previous games in the series. Players will be placed on a large mountain and will be able to travel between several different courses. SSX 3 will also allow players to unlock a variety of different rewards for completing one of the 100 challenges spread throughout the game. New tricks have been added for the game, and the series' graphics, which now feature additional effects such as character shadowing and wind, have also been upgraded.

The soundtrack for SSX 3 will feature a number of artists, including Queens of the Stone Age, N.E.R.D., Felix da Housecat, X-ecutioners, and more. SSX 3 is scheduled for release this fall.

Last edited by Lampei; 04-29-03 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-29-03, 01:08 PM

Back to the custom soundtrack thing. Remember, this is EA. Look at Street and even Madden. Neither had custom soundtracks.
Old 04-29-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been quite happy with the soundtracks that EA provided on the previous SSX games. Granted, a little customization might be a nice addition, but it doesn't affect my liking of the game

Yay, 2000th post
Old 04-29-03, 04:02 PM

The main reason they don't support custom soundtracks was because the way the music is coded to go silent, etc. when you go into huge jumps. Lotta work to get those effects, I don't think it would work with custom soundtracks.
Old 04-29-03, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mattalos
The main reason they don't support custom soundtracks was because the way the music is coded to go silent, etc. when you go into huge jumps. Lotta work to get those effects, I don't think it would work with custom soundtracks.
Hate to burst your bubble, but having music go silent is little to no coding period, wheter it's the soundtrack in the game or a custom soundtrack.. HOWEVER.. there is code specific soundtrack stuff in the game as stated above, but it's more along the lines of when you move off the main course the music mixes over to a more ambient track, and other various effects like that.. which would require some additoinal coding. Even with that, custom soundtracks are possible and SHOULD be included as an option, the tradeoff would be not having the additonal music effects as it would simply go through your playlist. The real main reason they don't support cusom soundtracks is just EA's inability to take advantage of system specific feautres. (or Sony is pocketing them a little extra bling to make sure the Xbox version doesn't steal a few sales )
Old 04-29-03, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I could never get into SSX Tricky... I played the first one and remember kinda digging it, but Tricky never hooked me. I bought it twice... yes TWICE... only to play it and be disappointed and sell it again right away. It's just that I see so many people praising a game that I feel like I must have missed something when I played it so I give it another chance... that's how it was with Timesplitters 2 which I also thought was awful. I'll be happy to give SSX3 a try though.
Old 04-29-03, 04:36 PM

There is a trailer for it on the X-Box disc of Street. Not too much is shown though. I love the first 2 in the series and the new Street is fantastic, Big is really doing nice work.
Old 04-29-03, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had a lot of fun with it, but my kids are the ones who really enjoy tricky. I'll buy the next one.
Old 04-30-03, 12:42 AM

This is gonna be SWEET! (coming from someone who wore out SSX and SSX Tricky on repeated play over many a month...)
Old 04-30-03, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I too became very excited for with the news that EA would be releasing an SSX3. I thought Tricky was one of the best games to come out in a long time, and once found out I could use the Gamecube controller instead of the PS2 controller, I bought a CUBE and Tricky was my first game for it. --- I know most reviewers and players thought the cube controller wasn't good for the game, but I have never been able to adapt to the Playstation controllers, and I've always thought the CUBE controller is the best, but anyway ---- I had a blast unlocking everything, it was one of those rare games that kept me coming back for more.

The idea of the giant mountian is a good one. I have always like the untracked courses so this would kind of be a giant untracked. I am diappointed that Eddie will not return, but I've always liked the original characters that EA has brought to their games (Street, Def Jam Vendetta, etc.), that I'm sure we will be getting someone good in return.

Has anyone heard anything about a release date?
Old 04-30-03, 01:10 PM
Mod Emeritus

The idea of a giant mountain is what Amped did and it worked pretty well. There were actually 8 Mountains with tons of ways to go down them.

If SSX 3 is online I'll definitely check it out, I didn't like Tricky much at all, but willing to give 3 a chance. Mostly I'm waiting for Amped 2.
Old 05-17-03, 08:26 AM
Admin Emeritus

There's a new movie on Gamespot right now... looks like you'll be able to do tricks while grinding. One of the racers was grinding down a rail, and he kicked out of his binds into a handstand... too bad he ended up bailing at the end of the rail.
Old 05-17-03, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The official SSX3 site only lists the PS2 version as being online.
Old 05-17-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

amped 2 will be online right? Looks like I am buying that one instead.
Old 05-17-03, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by s}{ammer
amped 2 will be online right? Looks like I am buying that one instead.
I'll probably have to join you. Nice move EA.
Old 05-17-03, 07:38 PM
Admin Emeritus

Microsoft may have a hand in it as well.
Old 05-17-03, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm excited.
Old 08-21-03, 02:54 PM

I was just reading the ign preview... can't wait for October 14. SSX is my favorite franchise.

I just love it, gotta do everything in the game... get all outfits, etc... can't explain my addiction. I still play SSX (first one) too. It's the only game I never got tired of once I "beat" it.
Old 08-21-03, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Glad to see more people are excited about this. I thought it was slipping under peoples' radars around here. Maybe once it comes out we can have some online tournaments or sumthin'?
Old 08-21-03, 08:39 PM

Check out the official web site that just went live.. http://www.easportsbig.com/games/ssx3/home.jsp

At first I was a bit worried with the change in direction to 1 large mountain, but I think it's more of a gimic and a way to make the courses even longer than it is a drastic change - the different peaks still seem to have many individual tracks.

Can't wait for this one!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.