Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Who here would like Final Fantasy III (6 in japan) on GBA?!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 04-28-03, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another thread got me thinking.. (and with them putting EARTHBOUND on GBA)..

Wouldn't you cry the tears of joy if they released FFIII on GBA? They could even add some little extras to it for the fans, like a monster gallery or something.. or a notebook like the Dragon Warrior 4 remake for PSX had which keeps track of how many times you've killed each monster, what items you've collected, etc..

I know they released the Japanese 1 and 2 on Wonderswan in Japan.. so they've got to be keen on the idea..
Old 04-28-03, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That'd be nice, but if Secret of Mana makes it to the GBA I would literally jump for joy. Great quote in the signature BTW!
Old 04-28-03, 12:56 PM

I'd rather they focused on making new games than trying to placate people who can't let the old games go.

You put Chrono Trigger on GBA, though...
Old 04-28-03, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Cardiff Giant
That'd be nice, but if Secret of Mana makes it to the GBA I would literally jump for joy. Great quote in the signature BTW!
There's IS a Secret of Mana game coming for GBA.. I don't remember if it was THE Secret of Mana.. but.. there is one coming!
Old 04-28-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

if they put the greatest game ever on the little gba, i'd buy it in a heartbeat (w/ the little headphone adapter )

Final Fantasy VII - whoo hoo! best... game... ever...
Old 04-28-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mattalos
I'd rather they focused on making new games than trying to placate people who can't let the old games go.

You put Chrono Trigger on GBA, though...
I'd rather they focused on making GOOD games so I could let the old games go!

Pish.. Squaresoft should just put every SNES game they made on GBA. That's about the only thing they can do to redeem themselves for X-2.
Old 04-28-03, 02:27 PM
Retired

I'd rather see a PS2 remake of it. Same gameplay, same story. Just totally updated graphics.

I don't play my GBA on the go very often and I still have my SNES hooked up, so a straight up port wouldn't interest me.
Old 04-28-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, they already ported it to PSX in FF anthology...new CG cutscenes and some extras. It has slowdown during battles but runs better on a PS2.

Square is already making a Secret of Mana translation for GBA. They're porting the first game in the series, which was originally Final Fantasy Adventure in the US.
Old 04-28-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Superboy
Well, they already ported it to PSX in FF anthology...new CG cutscenes and some extras. It has slowdown during battles but runs better on a PS2.

Square is already making a Secret of Mana translation for GBA. They're porting the first game in the series, which was originally Final Fantasy Adventure in the US.
Point 1: What extras were on there? I advoided it because of the load time issues, but it may be nice to check out anything extra. I do not care about cut scenes.

Point 2: Awesome. I remember that game, was pretty damn advanced for a GB game back in it's time!
Old 04-28-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1. There's no bestiary or art galleries like in FFO. There's also a bonus music CD. I guess it's not worth buying unless you want a translation of FFV.

2. Yeah...the screens of the translation blew me away.
Old 04-28-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BTW Pixyboi, i take it from the other thread that you didn't like FFVII. Well, i guess i'm there with you. I played it when it came out, and i absolutely hated it. Sure it was pretty, but it was as if everything they did in FFVI was suddenly forgotten. There are absolutely no individual character techniques. The Materia system makes the weaker characters (Aerith, Tifa, Yuffie, etc) instantly disposable. The characters are bland and lifeless. Cloud is your typical anime "I'm only here for the money, i don't care about anyone until i get wrapped up in the quest for peace and i start caring about people around me..." as opposed to Terra's "I don't care who i am, just get me the heck outta dodge!" The main bad guy really isn't a bad guy at all, if you think about it. And there were times in the game where it was EXTREMELY vague about what you were supposed to do next. Also, why hide characters/events/storylines/cities as if they were mini-games? those are not the type of things you want to hide from players!

So i guess if cutscenes don't matter to you then don't get it. But i sold my SNES copy of the game long ago so i just wanted a hard copy again.

Incidentally, the "fan" translated ROM of FFV that's been available on the net for several years now is actually a lot better than the "offical" translation of FFV that was included in Anthology. Go figure.
Old 04-29-03, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

argh! 2 people who don't like ff7! don't tell me you hate sony also...
Old 04-29-03, 12:25 PM

I like remakes but only of they put in an extra challege for those of us who have already gone through the game. So, Mario Advance is cool because you can search for the hidden Yoshi eggs. Mario Advance 2 is not cool because it's just the same old game (changing Luigi's jump isn't enough for me). So, FF3/6 would be great, but all they need to do is throw in a bonus dungeon that opens after you beat it or something. Then I'd be in.
Old 04-29-03, 12:29 PM

BTW Pixyboi, i take it from the other thread that you didn't like FFVII. Well, i guess i'm there with you. I played it when it came out, and i absolutely hated it. Sure it was pretty, but it was as if everything they did in FFVI was suddenly forgotten. There are absolutely no individual character techniques. The Materia system makes the weaker characters (Aerith, Tifa, Yuffie, etc) instantly disposable. The characters are bland and lifeless. Cloud is your typical anime "I'm only here for the money, i don't care about anyone until i get wrapped up in the quest for peace and i start caring about people around me..." as opposed to Terra's "I don't care who i am, just get me the heck outta dodge!" The main bad guy really isn't a bad guy at all, if you think about it. And there were times in the game where it was EXTREMELY vague about what you were supposed to do next. Also, why hide characters/events/storylines/cities as if they were mini-games? those are not the type of things you want to hide from players!

But... wait... are you talking about FFVII? It sounds like you are describing FF II through X.
Old 04-29-03, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sraan
I like remakes but only of they put in an extra challege for those of us who have already gone through the game. So, Mario Advance is cool because you can search for the hidden Yoshi eggs. Mario Advance 2 is not cool because it's just the same old game (changing Luigi's jump isn't enough for me). So, FF3/6 would be great, but all they need to do is throw in a bonus dungeon that opens after you beat it or something. Then I'd be in.
Something extra would be nice, that is agreed 100%. I think the biggest draw is the portability. I can take my Gameboy to work, so during breaks/lunch/downtime I can play. I can play Gameboy while taking a dump or while driving around with friends, etc.. so even straight ports of great games are welcome because.. well they're great games, and now I can play them anywhere I go.

I do understand that some people do not take advantage of this portibility and would easily shrug off the idea.. oh well..
Old 04-29-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If they port Super Metroid i will definitely buy a GB SP. Right now my Advance gets a lot of playtime, but it needs light for a dark game like Super Metroid.
Old 04-29-03, 02:02 PM
Retired

I know about that. But by a PS2 remake, I meant a full PS2 update. I.E. FFX/FFX2 quality graphics and cutscenes with NO major changes to the gameplay/story.
Old 04-29-03, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember reading a review that stated the SNES graphics were better than the PS graphics because it was designed for Mode-7 technology. I always thought that was funny, but I actually only didn't pick it up because I HATE load times in RPG's.
Old 04-30-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would LOVE a rerelease of the great 16 bit RPG greats. I would like a little bonus though. They already released:
Breath of Fire I and II - which I never caught before
Lunar - I really want this one
Earthbound - I never caught this one either. I must play it.

I would reallly like:
Secret of Mana - one of my favorites and include the multiplayer!
Chrono Trigger - I never played this one
FF III/VI - I really really really want this one. My fav RPG of all time.
Super Mario RPG - very good RPG. pinnacle of the Nintendo Squaresoft partnership.
Old 04-30-03, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by pixyboi
Something extra would be nice, that is agreed 100%. I think the biggest draw is the portability. I can take my Gameboy to work, so during breaks/lunch/downtime I can play. I can play Gameboy while taking a dump or while driving around with friends, etc.. so even straight ports of great games are welcome because.. well they're great games, and now I can play them anywhere I go.

I do understand that some people do not take advantage of this portibility and would easily shrug off the idea.. oh well..
Sure, but unlike a movie, which I can spend a couple of hours each time I re-watch it, I don't have the patience to play through 20-40+ hours of a game again unless there is something new in it for me. And updated graphics really aren't enough (even FMV in those FF remakes). I need to feel like I in some way completed a different game.