Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Street Fighter being turned into comic book series

Old 04-01-03, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Street Fighter being turned into comic book series

How can you NOT enjoy this?

Capcom's Street Fighter Gets Comic Book Series

First it was GI Joe, Thundercats, and He-Man, and now...Street Fighter? That's right. Image Comics has announced that it will publish a new ongoing comic based on Capcom's long-running videogame series, Street Fighter. The book will be created by Udon Entertainment, and will ship in September, 2003, with a preview title coming in August.

"We couldn't be more pleased to add Street Fighter to the Image lineup," commented Image Publisher/Vice-President Jim Valentino. "What Erik Ko and his crew have done with these characters is truly stunning, and whether you're a long-time fan of the video game or you just like great-looking comics, you're going to want this book!"

Street Fighter was first developed as a video game by the Japanese company Capcom and quickly became one of the most popular arcade games of the '80s. An action fighting game, Street Fighter features different characters from around the world participating in a massive tournament. Each fighter has a unique history and they all have their own special moves that makes the game more exciting than the regular side scrolling shooting games that were common at the time Street Fighter was first released. The game's characters have proved so popular that a number of crossover games have been published, incorporating various other popular properties, among them Marvel's X-Men and Spider-Man.

"Street Fighter is a landmark in arcade and console video games," said UDON's Chief of Operations, Erik Ko. "It defines the combat fighting game genre that is still very popular nowadays. And the SF franchise is alive and well after almost 15 years, with various incarnations of the game still available in arcades and home console systems."

Ko continued: "Essentially, Street Fighter is to video games what Star Wars is to film. Everyone who has played video games is familiar with Street Fighter. And with various generations of the SF games available, it has created a whole universe of characters and everyone who has played the game loves at least one or two of them."
Preview art and the full article can be found here.

So, would anyone here be interested in checking out the book? I'd be interested to hear what people think. Recent launches of 80s properties such as GI Joe, Micronauts, and Thundercats have been wildly successful for comic publishers.

Last edited by BJacks; 04-01-03 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-02-03, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Wow the artwork looks great, lets hope it doesnt suck as hard as the last comic book based on SF.
Old 04-02-03, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's awesome.
One thing though - I don't recall the original Street Fighter being "one of the most popular arcade games of the 80's". As a matter of fact, I(nor anyone else I ever came across for years in arcades in the 90's) didn't know there was even a first Street Fighter. I kid you not, I heard numerous times from people "Was there ever a Street Fighter One?" "Nah, I don't think so". It was as if Capcom threw the "II" on there for the hell of it or something.
Old 04-02-03, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by KingSmoth
That's awesome.
One thing though - I don't recall the original Street Fighter being "one of the most popular arcade games of the 80's". As a matter of fact, I(nor anyone else I ever came across for years in arcades in the 90's) didn't know there was even a first Street Fighter. I kid you not, I heard numerous times from people "Was there ever a Street Fighter One?" "Nah, I don't think so". It was as if Capcom threw the "II" on there for the hell of it or something.
I guess none of those people saw that movie "juice"
Old 04-02-03, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually Street Fighter was comic before around 1993. I know because I made ton of #1 I massive ordered back then.
Old 04-02-03, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

dude Image definetly did this before... they just changed the art style... I have #2 or #3 of street fighter from back in the day where Sagat cuts off Kens head to get back at Ryu... it was pretty dope
Old 04-02-03, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the previous Street Fighter comics were limited; not ongoing. I do know that there were a number of crossovers books, as well as various miniseries'. These were put out by Malibu, Tokuma, and Viz, with DC putting out one graphic novel.

Udon art is incredible though, so the books should be worth checking out for that alone. I don't even traditionally like manga-style pencilling, but Udon is great.

On the topic of the arcade games, Street Fighter was released in 1987. Street Fighter II came later, in 1991. I distinctly remember playing the first one in my local bowling alley, although the sequel probably sticks out in more minds nowadays.

I found a picture of the first SF arcade machine here:
http://www.weirsbeach.com/halfmoon/a...etfighter.html
Old 04-02-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,489 Posts
Ah, that's the lame version. The best SF1 machines had the REALLY huge buttons that you had to pound. If you wanted a fierce, you'd have to punch it harder.

Of course, SF2 was such an upgrade over the first one (in both style and gameplay, since SF1 only let you play with essentially one character, Ken or Ryu) that it'll always be the best remembered.

As far as comics... that Malibu one was pretty horrible, and I don't think it lasted that long. The Viz one was decent, but expensive, and never collected (but it was in color). Don't remember the Tokuma one. Viz also did part of the Cammy series in a short-lived game magazine they published.

Udon's art is ok, but can vary in quality at times (since they're actually a studio of artists). I think I'd much rather have some authentic manga translated, but we'll see. I think SF2 is too little, too late, though, since the game hasn't been that popular for a while now. Of course, they're still chugging out Lara Croft comics, so what do I know?
Old 04-02-03, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Japanese Street Fighter comics were big back in the day. Not to mention they had a lot of following. As for street fighter I. it was huge. Just like you wont see many people raising their hands about playing Pit fighter (or whatever the hell that game was called) it was still played big. Now as for street fighter II being big... Well I don't recall any other game at the time that you could get your arse kicked because you threw to many times or were too cheesy.
Old 04-02-03, 12:18 PM

I was one of the people asking "was there a street fighter 1?" and my friends were the one saying "i dont think so."

I do remember having to wait in line at arcades to be able to play street fighter II.
Old 04-02-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never played SF1 untill SF2 came out,got hooked on SF2 and SF1 was right next to it,infact SF2 was the only game I spent tons of money on at the Arcades.