Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Ok. Question on memory cards, import games, and the gamecube.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 03-31-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Soul Calibur 2 arrived today, and I've got an empty memory card (previously used for domestic games), but from what I can tell, SC2 still doesn't want to use it. Are you supposed to do something to convert the card first? Thanks!
Old 03-31-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You may not be able to save domestic and import games on the same card. This is what I heard about the PS2 cards and it may be the same for Cube cards.
Old 03-31-03, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will have to format your card to save japaneses games. You can't have japanese saves and us saves on the same card. How are you playing the import a modded cube or freeloader?
Old 03-31-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Again, this is a now empty card that was previously used to save domestic games. Do you have to use a virgin card to format it for imports? If not, how does one "format" the card? I'm using the Freeloader portion of the AR to play it. Thanks again!
Old 03-31-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

if you boot up in JPN mode without a game in the cube you can format the memory card from the main menu.
Old 03-31-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mljones99
if you boot up in JPN mode without a game in the cube you can format the memory card from the main menu.
How does one do this? If you don't put a game in when Freeloader tells you to, it will just say "there is no game in the drive" (or something to that effect). When I put the game in, then open the lid (hoping to get to the menu), it just tells me to close the lid. Many thanks.
Old 03-31-03, 01:35 PM

I think this is the problem with freeloader, as you are not able to boot the cube in JPN mode, thereby you won't be able to format the card. Will the game allow you to format the card? Can you read any of the japanese text?
Old 03-31-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sorry about the false info. My cube is modded so I just flip a switch. I haven't used Freeloader so I didn't know it was different.
Old 03-31-03, 01:46 PM

Found this on Gamefaqs, Soul Calibur II forum, hope it works good luck

I'm assuming you're using an Action Replay/Freeloader. Basically what you need to do is when you choose Freeloader in your Action Replay menu and the screen asks you to open the lid and insert a new disc (Soul Calibur 2 in this case), press "Y" and it will bring up a territory option. Select the Japanese territory and a Japanese flag will show up in the left corner, pop in Soul Calibur 2, and now after the initial save (the left option) you should be able to save SC2 fine. I'd suggest using a seperate memory card just for your Japanese imports since you can have some problems if you mix US/Japanese game saves on a single memory card.

Later.
Old 04-18-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by alexkat
Found this on Gamefaqs, Soul Calibur II forum, hope it works good luck

I'm assuming you're using an Action Replay/Freeloader. Basically what you need to do is when you choose Freeloader in your Action Replay menu and the screen asks you to open the lid and insert a new disc (Soul Calibur 2 in this case), press "Y" and it will bring up a territory option. Select the Japanese territory and a Japanese flag will show up in the left corner, pop in Soul Calibur 2, and now after the initial save (the left option) you should be able to save SC2 fine. I'd suggest using a seperate memory card just for your Japanese imports since you can have some problems if you mix US/Japanese game saves on a single memory card.

Later.
Nope this doesn't solve the problem. This doesn't prompt any reformat option. SC2 still won't let me save.
Old 04-18-03, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Cornfed
Nope this doesn't solve the problem. This doesn't prompt any reformat option. SC2 still won't let me save.
All I did to get it to work was:

1) Load SC2 (used my PAR, but any old load will do).

2) When the screen came up that said to push start to continue without saving, I pressed Y instead. The save file was created with no problem.

I was using a blank mem 59 that had previously had US saves on it. I don't know if it reformatted or not, but it did create a SC2 save file.
Old 04-18-03, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does changing the flag on the Freeloader DO anything?

See I got it and Mr Driller Drill Land, and while the game saves okay (after erasing everything else on that card).. it WILL not load and I get a bunch of weird system messages in gibberish.

I figured chaging it to Japan flag might help but no STILL gibberish.. if it would at least show me some Japanese I may be able to read it..

God I hate this region coding ****..
Old 04-18-03, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cartman
All I did to get it to work was:

1) Load SC2 (used my PAR, but any old load will do).

2) When the screen came up that said to push start to continue without saving, I pressed Y instead. The save file was created with no problem.

I was using a blank mem 59 that had previously had US saves on it. I don't know if it reformatted or not, but it did create a SC2 save file.
Thanks cartman. It worked; it finally saved.