Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Employee discount at Gamestop, Software etc, etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Employee discount at Gamestop, Software etc, etc

I've been thinking about picking up a 2nd part time job for a little extra "fun money" Plus, it'd take up some of my free time, so I wouldn't spend quite as much "fun money" as I do now anyway

Anyone know offhand what kind of discount employees get at some of the various game/software stores? How about Circuit City or Best Buy?

(Maybe this belongs in Other, but figured this forum was more likely to attract the attention of employees who eat, drink, sleep, and breathe video games.)
Old 03-29-03, 12:01 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Mongo,

Best Buy's discount is the COST of the product (wholesale price) plus 10% I beleive.

Most videogame stores is 20% off used, 10% off new.
Old 03-29-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The best part about working at EB was that employees are allowed to "borrow" games and take them home to try. Especially the preowns, since they are opened anyway.
Old 03-29-03, 12:53 PM

Software etc. discount is 20% off all games, accessories (new or used) and used systems.
Old 03-29-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

@ BB you get no discount on the systems and off games that are $50, its like $42 so theres not much off a discount off games at all. you get crappy discounts off video games and computer related stuff. only see a big discount on other stuff
Old 03-29-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

best part about working at EB
i would think another perk would be buying used games from customers for $1.00 more than EB offers, there by picking up used games really, really, really cheap.
Old 03-30-03, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by jasonr114
i would think another perk would be buying used games from customers for $1.00 more than EB offers, there by picking up used games really, really, really cheap.
Except that is kind of frowned upon by EB and Gamestop. Depends on your manager I guess, but it is a reason to get fired.
Old 03-30-03, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Except that is kind of frowned upon by EB and Gamestop.
undoubtedly you are right. I am sure this is one of the last things that these stores would want you to do.

however, considering I have walked into my local eb (not in a mall) and walked around the store for 10 minutes before a clerk came out, I think that -if you so desire- it would be easy pull I t off.
Old 03-31-03, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife worked for Barnes and Noble for a time. We got 25% off off games at Gamestop/Funcoland and there used to be a 10% off hardware deal, but I think they got rid of that. The beauty of working for Gamestop is that you also get 40% off new books at B&N and 30% off paperbacks/audio. At least that is how it used to be.

Good luck getting a job. I tried to get one at Gamestop (for a 2nd part-time job), but they never called me back.
Old 03-31-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BB is probably the best deal. You get games at cost, which is around 30% off. I worked at a BB, and i got a good deal of games for around $33 each (normally $50). No discounts on hardware though, because they sell those at cost.

I knew some people who worked the Gamestop/Funcoland/Babbages ring and they got 20% off, which sucks.
Old 03-31-03, 05:42 PM
Cool New Member

I used to work at Best buy as well. The discount is COST of Best Buy + 5%. Weird.. The most discount I ever got was paying $42 for a $50 game.. which is complete BS. I know Best Buy get their stuff for less than what their "COST" is.

I got a $0.15 discount on some particular item, I don't think Best buy would had stock those items if they weren't making more profit than that Lol.
Old 03-31-03, 06:17 PM
Banned

The best part of working at Gamestop is being able to return items without needing a receipt..
Old 03-31-03, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by cali99boy
I used to work at Best buy as well. The discount is COST of Best Buy + 5%. Weird.. The most discount I ever got was paying $42 for a $50 game.. which is complete BS. I know Best Buy get their stuff for less than what their "COST" is.

I got a $0.15 discount on some particular item, I don't think Best buy would had stock those items if they weren't making more profit than that Lol.
Other items they sell (batteries, cables, car audio, furniture) more than make up for the items that don't have margin attached. It's accurate.

On average, the grocery store makes 2 cents on every product they sell, yet they stay in business. Go figure.
Old 04-01-03, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tarantino
On average, the grocery store makes 2 cents on every product they sell, yet they stay in business. Go figure.
People need to buy food, they don't need electronics.

(I would beg to differ with the latter part of that statement however. )