Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Warning: EB no longer does the 1 time exchange

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-03, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warning: EB no longer does the 1 time exchange

Well, at my local EB at least. But this might be a nationwide thing. Kinda sucks since I used to like to try out games. Guess I can't do that now... -_-
Old 03-25-03, 02:09 PM
Banned

Good for them...too many people were using it as a free rental service!

FS
Old 03-25-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 165 Posts
Just curious, does EB resell games that people return within 7 days as new or old games?
Old 03-25-03, 02:22 PM

When I used to work there, they would just sell them as new. Just like the ones that they'd open and gut. I actually liked the 1 time return for games like Tao Feng. Man what a horrible game. Ugh.
Old 03-25-03, 02:44 PM

oh man, I was looking forward to Tao Feng, whats wrong with it?
Old 03-25-03, 02:54 PM

They dropped pricemtching as well.
I stopped in today to try and get the zelda $4.99 guide/circuit city deal.
Old 03-25-03, 03:27 PM

Pretty much what everything was said on Gamespot's review. I was hoping that the reader reviews was enough for a purchase, but found out that all the things in the GS was right on and does in fact deter from the actual gameplay.
Old 03-25-03, 03:32 PM

The only reason I buy games at EB or GameStop is the one time return policy, if they no longer do that then i will no longer buy my games there. Usually their price is equal or higher to Best Buy so without the return policy I have no motivation to shop there.
Old 03-25-03, 03:41 PM

Man, pricematching also? That's like the 2 things why I liked to shop at EB. Wonder what's up with that. I see dark times ahead for EB....
Old 03-25-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They still pricematch, they just don't have a posted policy. The one near me will cover anything that is on a regular sale or cheaper somewhere else, but they won't match the Best Buy / Circuit city below-cost-while-they-last-50-per-store stuff, which is pretty fair.
Old 03-25-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Gamestop still takes games back for any reasons.
Old 03-25-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by menaz
oh man, I was looking forward to Tao Feng, whats wrong with it?
Here are what some sites had to say about the game:

GameSpy.com:
I can't think of a reason that you should purchase Tao Feng, except that the cover can be used as a halloween mask...Tao Feng represents everything that's wrong with non-hardcore fighting games. It has no depth, looks like crap in motion, and has little to occupy a lone player. With a superior game widely available (in the form of MK: DA), there is little reason to waste time with Tao Feng.

score: 38/100
GameSpot.com:
Tao Feng looks and sounds just fine, but it doesn't have a strong enough fighting system to make it a viable option for fans of the genre. Players looking for a solid fighting game on the Xbox would be better off sticking with the reigning champions, Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance and Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO.

score: 6.4/10
Gamers.com:
As the third of Microsoft's most recent attempts to stake its claim in the notoriously intimidating fighting genre (see Kakuto Chojin and Kung Fu Chaos for failed attempts one and two, respectively), Tao Feng serves as the Xbox equivalent of a third Olsen twin...Tao Feng represents yet another colossal misstep in Microsoft's first-party lineup. Not only does the game lack in both artistic and interactive credibility, but oftentimes manages to unintentionally parody itself in the process.

score: 3/10
Back on topic, the main reason EB has changed its policy is because they don't want to continue getting stuck with a glut of crappy games that customers keep returning.
Old 03-25-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by bluntman72
The only reason I buy games at EB or GameStop is the one time return policy, if they no longer do that then i will no longer buy my games there. Usually their price is equal or higher to Best Buy so without the return policy I have no motivation to shop there.
Agreed. They resell returns as new anyway.
Old 03-25-03, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
I never understood their policy to take back opened new games. If they are selling them as new, they can get into a ton of trouble for that.
Old 03-25-03, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Deftones
I never understood their policy to take back opened new games. If they are selling them as new, they can get into a ton of trouble for that.
Debatable. If you think of a game purchase as purchasing a license for the game, rather than the physical CD/DVD, there is no "used". And they used to sell returned games (not "preowned") as new - I used to work there.

I'm disappointed in this policy change, though. That was the primary reason I shopped there.
Old 03-25-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally posted by Duran
Debatable. If you think of a game purchase as purchasing a license for the game, rather than the physical CD/DVD, there is no "used". And they used to sell returned games (not "preowned") as new - I used to work there.
Trust me, they can get into trouble for doing it. Whether they will get caught and face sanctions is another deal. That policy has been an abberation amongst video game retailers. No other store would take any opened merchandise back, with the exception of defects, which are replaced by the original.
Old 03-25-03, 09:54 PM

Thanks for the review posts creaturex, and they made the description of that game sound so awesome .

EB I think has had a tendency to change their policies on returns pretty often. I remember a while back they had this "no returns if opened" policy.
Old 03-25-03, 10:12 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd only used the policy once so it's not a big deal to me. I research games a lot before buying them and do a pretty good job of only buying games I know I'll like. I don't shop at game stores much anyway. Usually only go there when they have a good trade in deal going (i.e. trade to get a game for free or for $9.99 or something).
Old 03-25-03, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I won't buy new games at EB unless there is a deal.
Old 03-25-03, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I only shop at EB unless it's my last choice.
Old 03-26-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Deftones
Trust me, they can get into trouble for doing it. Whether they will get caught and face sanctions is another deal. That policy has been an abberation amongst video game retailers. No other store would take any opened merchandise back, with the exception of defects, which are replaced by the original.
Well, EB had been doing it for years - as well as allowing employees to check out games for a couple nights. I have a hard time believing that if they could have gotten in significant trouble for it that none of their competitors would have brought it up. I'm not sure how much of an "abberation" it was, considering Babbage's/Gamestop used to do the same thing, and they were two of the biggest retailers, if you don't include the WalMarts and Best Buys.
Old 03-26-03, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Babbage's & Gamestop STILL do it.
Old 03-26-03, 12:23 PM

Does it really matter if you get a new game open? I really dont care as long as everything is new and there are 0 scratches on the disc. Plus, you can always request a sealed one if theyre trying to stick you with an open one, and if its the last one, they can seal up for you with shrinkwrap. Lets not forget, that wrapping is going to be on your game for as long as it takes you to get from EB to your home.
Old 03-26-03, 12:43 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Bla, my store luckily does NOT do this. We SOMETIMES make exceptions (mostly for used games), but VERY rarley for new games. You should know what your buying before you do. If you don't like the game, im sorry, you should have researched it. We are NOT a free rental service where you can say you didn't like it and get another game. Good for EB. There prices are still $10 higher than my store, but atleast there becoming smarter.
Old 03-26-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doesn't effect me since I only buy games with a factory wrap. It is hard to tell sometimes though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.