Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Onimusha 3 site now open

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-03, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Onimusha 3 site now open

http://www.capcom.co.jp/onimusha/

For fans of onimusha...just another year before onimusha 3 comes out.
Old 03-11-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
Looks like Onimusha 3 will feature the voice and likeness of Takeshi Kaneshiro (from the original Onimusha) and Jean Reno. Their alter egos are the playable characters, with one from the past, and one from the future.

Is it me, or did it seem like Onimusha 2 did not sell all that well? (Recently it dropped to the $20 range)

PAL
Old 03-11-03, 11:26 PM

Wow nice looking game check out the trailer on the site. Does this take place in the present?
Old 03-11-03, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now the real questions is: When is Onimusha 2 coming out on Xbox?
Old 03-11-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow. I played the first and passed on the 2nd. Now thanks to Jean Reno I'll certainly be checking this one out. The trailer looked very good and I can't wait.
Old 03-12-03, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did you notice that Donnie Yen (Blade 2, Iron Monkey, Shanghai Knights) is the action director for the CG movies? Too bad he isn't one of the characters in the game!
Old 03-13-03, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts
When a friend dragged me to that site I was complaining "why are you showing me this? You know I hate Onimusha." But then he showed me Jean Reno and I knew I had to check it out. After reading everything in the site (Donnie Yen!!!) and watching the trailer I'm gonna give this game a shot as it's really gotten my hopes up.

BTW, for those who asked, judging from the plot summary and the trailer and pics, the game begins just a bit after Onimusha then leaps many years past Onimusha 2 (the year 2004) where you play as Reno's character (he's the latest Onimusha warrior) until the two eventually meet (time-warp?).

Am I the only one hoping that the dialogue be in French and Japanese (depending on the location and situation of parts where there is dialogue) and that when it gets localized for the US and Canada the dialogue remain unchanged with just the options of English/French/Spanish subtitles? I am aware both actors are fluent in ENglish but I think it'd work better if they each spoke in their characters' native tongues.

BTW, I only played (and quickly abandoned) the first Onimusha and, thanks to this new game, am thinking of picking it up and finally finishing it. I was also thinking of bitting the bullett and play Onimusha 2 as well but judging from a comment of a poster here about the sequel not being so well received... Those here who are fans of Onimusha, is the sequel really that bad or did it fall prey to hype? I know this is a strange question from someone who does not like Onimusha but I figure that even if a fan thinks the sequel is crap I shouldn't bother giving it a shot just cos the third game in the series looks so great.
Old 03-13-03, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Is there any way to save the trailer? I don't want to have to download it again next time I get the urge to watch it once more.
Old 03-13-03, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally posted by RocShemp
I am aware both actors are fluent in ENglish but I think it'd work better if they each spoke in their characters' native tongues.
Now, if you really want to hear the actors' native tongues, it would be Mandarin for Takeshi Kaneshiro because he's from Taiwan. But, I'm sure he speaks Japanese and English as well.

PAL
Old 03-13-03, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm well aware that Takeshi Kaneshiro is from Taiwan not Japan and that Jean Reno (a.k.a. Juan Moreno) is Spanish not French. But I was refering to characters' native tongues not the actors'. And since Takeshi Kaneshiro is fluent in Japanese and Jean Reno is fluent in French and their respective characters are a Japanese warrior and a French warrior I figure it'd make more sense to keep Takeshi Kaneshiro speaking Japanese and Jean Reno speaking French and as I'm sure the characters will have some form of distant relation you can have Reno speak broken Japanese (unless he is in fact fluent in that tongue as well and thus it'd be no real stretch for his character to be fluent in Japanese as well - he's supposed to be portraying the latest in a long line of Onimusha warriors afterall).

But, even if they change the dialogue to English, I'm sure they'll keep both actors as they are both fluent in English. I just thought it'd make more sense to have the actors speak in their respective characters' native tongues.
Old 03-13-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually I read today that they will NOT be using Jean Reno's voice for any of the versions of the game for some reason. They may do it for the French localized version but don't expect his voice for the N. America version. Hopefully Capcom wont get some ham actor to put on a french accent.

Why can't more games just use the native tongue and be subtitled??? Or at least offer the option like on DVD's to use alternate languages.
Old 03-13-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love Onimusha 2! The movie clips are great.

I agree w/ The Franchise, the only thing I didn't like about Onimusha 2 was that the characters didn't speak w/ their native tongue.

Last edited by bigsoos; 03-13-03 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-13-03, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Onimusha 2 and Devil May Cry 2 is average games not compare to the 1st one

Hopefully, Onimusha 3 for XBOX plus Free games Disc Onimusha 2 as a bonus

lol
Old 03-13-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by The Franchise
Actually I read today that they will NOT be using Jean Reno's voice for any of the versions of the game for some reason. They may do it for the French localized version but don't expect his voice for the N. America version. Hopefully Capcom wont get some ham actor to put on a french accent.

Why can't more games just use the native tongue and be subtitled??? Or at least offer the option like on DVD's to use alternate languages.
You mean after all that hype in the website and trailer all I'm gonna get is Reno's likeness? That blows. I wanted to play as the man himself hearing his voice in the grunts and dialogue. I hope Capcom changes their minds and uses Reno for the N. American version. That being said, will we at least get to hear Takeshi Kaneshiro in the US localized version? Where'd you read this BTW?

I totally agree with you. In fact there's no real excuse NOT to simply subtitle the games (unless hiring seperate voice actors for different countries is cheaper than perhaps having to pay the original voice actors extra for having their voices used in all versions of a particular game) as back in the day all we did was read text. And many times when they localize them the new actors either suck or if they don't suck they get weighed down with trying to synche up with the mouth flaps since the extra time and money to reprogram the character models seems not to be cost effective.

It's too bad more games are not like .hack that has both English dialogue and the original Japanese dialogue. Then again, I heard that game is really short so maybe that's why they were able to fit both in. In any case, that's presumably (unless they're bi/multilingual) two different sets of voice actors they're paying for two seperate audio tracks in that particular game. So simply keeping the original voice actors and have optional subtitles for the dialogue is not so unreasonable a request. Besides, isn't Capcom's goal to make Onimusha 3 seem as much like a movie as possible? It always sucks when a movie is dubbed (and edited but that would be for a different thread and forum altogether *l*).

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-13-03 at 11:34 AM.