Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

[SPOILERS] Metal gear solid 2 story

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-03, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metal gear solid 2 story

Ok, I know this is a pretty old game, but I just finished the PS2 version and by the time the last cutscene ended I just had no clue what was going on.

Can someone give me an easy to follow break down of what the last HALF of the game was all about?

obviously there'll be spoilers for those that haven't beat the game yet...
Old 03-05-03, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I take this lack of response to mean that everyone is pretty much in the same boat as me....interesting.
Old 03-05-03, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To be honest with you I think everyone has their own interpretation of the story. I think this may have come up in this forum before...maybe you should do a search.
Old 03-05-03, 11:58 AM

And to be honest you waited two hours, after posting at 5am on the west coast for a response :P

I had a really, really cool site for a breakdown of the ending. It was like 30 pages long. But I, of course, don't have the link with me now.
Old 03-05-03, 12:29 PM

Im a huge metal gear fan, beat MGS2 the week it came out, but havent played it since, so sadly, I cant remember the story, especially the end. On the plus side, I just started playing substance and will finish it in a couple days.
Old 03-05-03, 12:55 PM

Personally, I just think that the last half of the story just meant that either Mr. Kojima was on drugs, or that he didn't have much sleep. :P But that's just my interpretation.
Old 03-05-03, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Basically it was saying that the Patriots had made Aresenal Gear to be this massive information filtering device, that would control what parts of future history (ie. the present) would be made available to the public thereby changing their perception of reality by controling the media they have access to.

The simulation part of it was that Raiden was a soldier trained in VR simulation and the whole Big Shell setup was a "simulation" to see if soldiers could be "manufactured" to be perfect like Solid Snake. A little like the Genome stuff in MGS1.

That was my take on it anyway.....
Old 03-05-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My take on it is that they just wanted to try so hard to make some nonsensical story for people to over-analyze in hopes that they would overlook that fact that there's maybe only 30 minutes of actualy gameplay.

Then again, the above answer may also be true.
Old 03-05-03, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hated the story. The gameplay was great. I certainly got more than 30 minutes of gameplay out of it.
Old 03-05-03, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by pixyboi
My take on it is that they just wanted to try so hard to make some nonsensical story for people to over-analyze in hopes that they would overlook that fact that there's maybe only 30 minutes of actualy gameplay.

Then again, the above answer may also be true.
Buy Substance and you'll have your gameplay. More than you can handle.