Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBox question

Old 03-02-03, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XBox question

I've decided to go ahead and buy an XBox. I would go with a PS2, but since my step-brother has one, it'd be kind of a waste. I figure if I buy the XBox, then he and I can trade systems for a couple weeks every once in a while to try stuff for the other platform. The real clincher for me was last night in Circuit City when I played a demo of a fighting game on the XBox (and of course I can't remember the name now, was Japanese sounding)

Anyway, a quick question. Since the XBox has a build in hard drive, what are the memory cards used for? Are they just to have an available method of transporting saved games from one system to another one, or do they have some other advantage/function that isn't available with the standard hard drive?

Thanks!
Old 03-02-03, 05:09 PM

They're basically just to bring saves to a friends house, etc. They're also used for transporting your Xbox Live! accounts to and fro.

Was the game you played "Kakuto Chojin"?
Old 03-02-03, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I think that might have been it.

The demo only had 4 fighters available, and ended after defeating 3 or 4 opponents, so I didn't get to play all that long. I did figure out some of the moves for my charachter (one of the chicks, kung fu style) but really didn't get to experiment much.

How hard are the special moves to do? What about getting combos?
Old 03-02-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Kakuto isn't even considered a very good game, so if you like it you'll probably be pleasantly surprised and impressed by the rest of the software lineup. Anyway - your memory card question has been answered correctly. I haven't bought one - you really don't need one.
Old 03-02-03, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

no need for a memory card, unless you want to transfer info from point a to b
Old 03-02-03, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Mattalos
They're basically just to bring saves to a friends house, etc. They're also used for transporting your Xbox Live! accounts to and fro.

Was the game you played "Kakuto Chojin"?
I have not played it as I do not have an X-Box (yet)... but as stated I believe that game got horrid reviews. Basically it's eye candy for the X-Box but the gameplay is supposed to be horrible. Might want to check some other fighting games out ... Personally thinking I'll pick up an X-Box during E-3 and wait to buy a fighting game until Soul Calibur 2 comes out...
Old 03-02-03, 08:07 PM

About a year ago a co worker and his wife bought an Xbox. He told me that he spent over $500 on it. I said "What did ya get?

He said that he got 2 games an extra controller and 2 memory cards. I said "Why did ya get memory cards?" He said, "To save games on it and so that me and my wife will have one each dumbass!!"

Well to make a long story short he felt pretty stupid when I let him in on the latest and greatest way of game saving.
Old 03-03-03, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 03-03-03, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He probably played Tao Feng, which is supposed to be really good. I think it gets released later this month.
Old 03-03-03, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Cardiff Giant
He probably played Tao Feng, which is supposed to be really good. I think it gets released later this month.
yeah I believe that one did get fairly good reviews.
Old 03-03-03, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And I saw Tao Feng on a demo Xbox today at lunch (Toys R Us), so it probably was TF.
Old 03-05-03, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went back to CC today and looked again, it was Kakuto Chojin. Hmm, maybe I should be posting in the thread about poorly rated games you liked..

Bought the Xbox, but CC didn't have that game in stock. Selection of fighting games wasn't all that great there, so I ended up getting Dead or Alive 3. Something to keep me entertained anyway.

Right now the Xbox is bundled with 1 disk that contains Jet Set Radio, and Sega GT 2002 (full versions of both, plus some video only demos of other games) Personally I don't care for racing games, and Jet Set Radio failed to entertain me. Oh well, maybe I can find a trade..
Old 03-05-03, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BB is giving an extra game with purchase of an X-Box: Blinx, Amped, Fuzion Frenzy, Oddworld, or Rally Fusion. Maybe you can return you X-Box and pick it up at BB instead. maybe you can get CC to give you another game.
Old 03-05-03, 04:31 AM

I read that Kakuto Chojin has been recalled in Japan, and cancelled for Europe. I am not sure what that means to USA, but I am guessing that this title will not be reprinted/restocked any more.

So, if you really want it, try a used games store. Especially since it got horrible reviews just about everywhere, that is the better way to go. (There are cases where the demo is good but the full game is not all that great.)
Old 03-05-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gideon,

Do you have a link to the BB deal where you get an extra free game? Just looked at Best Buy's site, but couldn't find any mention of that.
Old 03-05-03, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No link to the promo, choose "Browse Weekly Ad" and you should see it in the X-Box section, page 3. It's in-store and in their weekly ad if you are near one.